Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

Default Helping a friend to find a decent Job

Hey guys, I have a friend that is looking for a job that pays decent here in the USA. He doesnt have a ton of experience (no college degree), really doesnt have the best people skills, but he is a hard worker, clean record, and doesnt have kids or wife, so hes good for traveling. Hes not an asshole, just a little socially awkward/autistic.

I figure having a traveling job might be good for him because it may pay more and he doesnt have anything tying him down anyway. So doing some type of industrial construction, working in the oil fields, installing solar panels are all job types that come to mind.

He's looking for something that pays atleast $25 an hour.

If you have any suggestions, please post your thoughts or feel free to PM me. I am simply doing this to help a buddy that is in a rut in his life, and needs a hand up.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:07 PM
Banned

Is he ok at computer stuff? I made a ok career by career climbing at small tech shops that would hire high school grads (I have a degree and whatnot tho). There's a shortage of reliable peeps out there for remote werk.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperiouskitten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is he ok at computer stuff? I made a ok career by career climbing at small tech shops that would hire high school grads (I have a degree and whatnot tho). There's a shortage of reliable peeps out there for remote werk.
He’s average with tech. Not a computer programmer.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:31 PM
Banned

UPS

50k to start 70k within 3 years 100k in 10 + a pension and no one will bother him
Old 11-19-2020, 08:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
UPS

50k to start 70k within 3 years 100k in 10 + a pension and no one will bother him
Good suggestion. Is that money for drivers only?
Old 11-19-2020, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He’s average with tech. Not a computer programmer.
If he can fudge an interview and qualifications, Windows administration / "network admin" stuff is very easy to get into and pays good. Basically if he can reformat a box and learn to add a PC to domain from a youtube tutorial, there's tons of shops that'd have use for him. Also SQL server and database jobs, which looks like programming but it's just so damn easy and intuitive.

Idk how people get these UPS jobs and stuff, seems impossible to get contact back to me. not to discourage
Old 11-19-2020, 11:49 PM
Planar Protector

tell him
learn and take the following two certs:

comptia network+
comptia sec+

along the way document any experimentation and exploration of concepts in their own interests, ie. discovering they can secure their own computer, or buying and playing with a few pieces of hardware

instant 100k/yr no college required. could take 1-6 months, but you can train for the certs on udemy or another learning site of your choice at your own pace. just depends on how much he wants it
Last edited by bubur; 11-19-2020 at 11:52 PM..
Old 11-19-2020, 11:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
tell him
learn and take the following two certs:

comptia network+
comptia sec+

along the way document any experimentation and exploration of concepts in their own interests, ie. discovering they can secure their own computer, or buying and playing with a few pieces of hardware

instant 100k/yr no college required. could take 1-6 months, but you can train for the certs on udemy or another learning site of your choice at your own pace. just depends on how much he wants it
Interesting. I will send this his way.

He is 34 years old. I assumed that is too old to get started in programming.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:58 PM
Planar Protector

can do network+ (which is mostly physical networking, wiring and servers, etc, not programming) and search for IT jobs while doing sec+

would not stop halfway though

it's not about programming, obviously that helps, but you can learn it after passing the tests. it's about concepts and memorization. literally anyone can do it, but statistically very few are. and the jobs are expanding so rapidly that no one can fill them. they even made a new distinction in government aside from the gs-level specific to cybersecurity - reason being, they cant keep these certified people away from private industry
Last edited by bubur; 11-20-2020 at 12:00 AM..
Old 11-20-2020, 12:47 AM
Sarnak

I was in the Air Force for 12 years and think that was a good steady secure job. Look into the military.
Closed Thread