Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Kobold

I've heard it said by gamers that EQ is for masochists. I'm a little disturbed by this statement, because EQ is my first love for MMO's.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Sarnak

I've never seen a bigger collection of trolls in a thread. Think it's time to use my regular sig. Thanks to the few individuals who posted their honest opinion, even if it differed from mine. Surprised to see some obviously good people continously feed the trolls in this thread. Cheers.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by square [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That person who runs that .1 second faster would get tons of recognition, sponsorships, money etc. Ever hear of the Olympics? I guess they don't matter either.

New philosophical or scientific theories. Hmm...Do these theories help me during my every day life? Do they provide me entertainment? Will they change my life in any way over the course of my life? Sorry buddy. Stop being a hater.

Edit: Also another thing that cracked me up: You have a problem with modern western society, yet you claim not to be from over here in the first place. I don't think I need to point out the flaws in that. All you get is a
: lol
It would behoove you to read the entirety of The New York Times (nytimes.com) every day for a year. I urge you to learn about NASA's contributions to modern technology.

Furthermore, read about the entire last centuries worth of physics, starting with general relativity and quantum mechanics, and the incredible technology that resulted from this (initially, and periodically) purely mathematical and theoretical work.

After gaining a requisite knowledge of recent scientific advancements, feel free to browse all of the new peer-reviewed scientific papers.

TED is a great way to learn about how new scientific developments (or have affected) affect tens of millions of people across the world.

I offer you these suggestions after noting the (almost unbelievable) ignorance staining your post.

As an aside, it seems an unfortunate effect of a timesink that a player Can become incredibly ignorant of almost anything besides the games he/she plays.
Last edited by SuperSane; 08-23-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Banned

MMO time sinks require no skill, just maturity, maturity a 12 year old "should" have. All other analogies are fairly less relevant.

Skill is usually defined by the efficiency and quality rather then quantity and measure of something.

i.e. It takes skill to create an awesome 32x32 texture that looks good at high rez. It does not take skill to crank out 200 photos crop them quickly and call them textures, though it may take more time then that single good texture. MMO's are far more the latter. Not exclusively, but pretty much so.

I play EQ for the social aspect, its why I don't play WoW. If you want true skill with a limited and fast paced rule-set go master classic Team Fortress.

For those that need it really spelled out, skill, and time, are seperate variables, not correlated with eachother.

Also to those attributing marathon runners to skill. That is a physical attribute built up over time. The mental discipline required to attain that level of physical stamina could be considered a skill, but the ability to run in itself is not really a skill. Though it may fall into the grey area. It is correct that it usually takes time to learn or develop a skill. However that time invested is not really a measure of skill, again simply maturity, usually. Those people who can poopsock 20 hr camps are very mature in someways, but then again they lack other forms of maturity or mental attributes. They are not highly skilled individuals. Its an easy skill to aquire ;p

/thread
Last edited by runlvlzero; 08-23-2012 at 11:06 PM..
Old 08-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by square [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't read the new york times, don't want to. I read bloomberg sometimes that's about it. I don't care. Know why? I have/make plenty of money, and am fine with the way I am, and don't hate on people for what they have.

You're on a video game forum, acting all intellectual and high and mighty isn't going to make you look like any more than an angry basement dwelling 40+ year old hater.

People have different interests and hobbies, deal with it, don't hate on it. Get money.
You asked: "Do these theories [scientific] help me during my every day life? Do they provide me entertainment? Will they change my life in any way over the course of my life?"

The answer is yes, they do.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Banned

Ohai... I just read about NASA being a wealth of scientific knowledge, sure from 40 years ago, they have not challenged any theories that the draconian lizard people have set forth since the days of Kennedy. There are better sources of information then NASA and the NYTimes. Wait, they do all the time, but they never publish. Chandra, GRAIL, and many other cool experiments but they are always forgotten, ignored, and obfuscated.

Try reading a textbook or something, or figuring out how to travel to the moon using math yourself. Never know you might just realize a better way to do it.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by runlvlzero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
MMO time sinks require no skill, just maturity, maturity a 12 year old "should" have. All other analogies are fairly less relevant.

Skill is usually defined by the efficiency and quality rather then quantity and measure of something.

i.e. It takes skill to create an awesome 32x32 texture that looks good at high rez. It does not take skill to crank out 200 photos crop them quickly and call them textures, though it may take more time then that single good texture. MMO's are far more the latter. Not exclusively, but pretty much so.

I play EQ for the social aspect, its why I don't play WoW. If you want true skill with a limited and fast paced rule-set go master classic Team Fortress.

For those that need it really spelled out, skill, and time, are seperate variables, not correlated with eachother.

Also to those attributing marathon runners to skill. That is a physical attribute built up over time. The mental discipline required to attain that level of physical stamina could be considered a skill, but the ability to run in itself is not really a skill. Though it may fall into the grey area. It is correct that it usually takes time to learn or develop a skill. However that time invested is not really a measure of skill, again simply maturity, usually. Those people who can poopsock 20 hr camps are very mature in someways, but then again they lack other forms of maturity or mental attributes. They are not highly skilled individuals. Its an easy skill to aquire ;p

/thread
I agree with everything except running not being a skill. There is a correct way to run in order to improve efficiency and quality, including reducing energy used, reducing injury, improving speed, ect. This is especially important when, historically, a non-trivial amount of races have been won by 1/10ths of a second.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The funniest part about this thread, and the wow thread, is that half the people can't accept people have different opinions. "This is fact because I said it's fact!"

It will help many of you out exponentially in life to realize that people will have different opinions than you, and that's OK. Different opinions help you to form your own opinion, unless you're an arrogant prick.
QFT

..square...lol
Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
..sensitive nerd...lol

I never had a problem with an opinion, I have problems with uneducated opinions, and haters. The problem is, since classic EQ is so old, this forum is filled with 40+ year old men who think they police the internet, and get all bent out of shape when someone doesn't coddle them.

I also enjoy being arrogant, having achieved great success in life makes some people behave as such, mirin?
You are like the personification of irony. You cry about every post that disagrees with you and sling 2nd grade insults. If great success is having nothing better to do than trolling all day, you have indeed arrived.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 08-25-2012, 03:50 AM
Aviak

Quote:
..sensitive nerd...lol

I never had a problem with an opinion, I have problems with uneducated opinions, and haters. The problem is, since classic EQ is so old, this forum is filled with 40+ year old men who think they police the internet, and get all bent out of shape when someone doesn't coddle them.

I also enjoy being arrogant, having achieved great success in life makes some people behave as such, mirin?
Houdiny is a cool dude, thusly making you likely a retard for dedicating a sig to him. Most people who play this box I've ever encountered are 20-30. But go ahead and express your opinion as fact while you argue people expressing their opinions doesn't make it fact.
Originally Posted by Casey II View Post
You should idolize drug dealers from the 1980s more and fat faggot rappers who pretend to be drug dealers from the 1980s but are really fat security guards like Rick Ross.

Also, you should let people know that you enjoy hip hop music. Even if they didn't want to know.

That would probably make people respect your faggot ass more.
]
Closed Thread