Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 06:08 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that never pretended otherwise. .

Really? Seemed like they were always making adjustments to classes when I played, when they thought some ability or spell was overpowered.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:49 AM
Sarnak

Charm is fun and powerful and all but if you want a chill experience stay away. It's why I decided not roll another Ench on Green/Teal. Granted it's a bit easier in Classic before mobs become blenders, but yeah I like to be able to relax when I play and step away when I need to.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:51 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There will always be a class more powerful than the others. If you remove enchanters, the same babies will cry about shamans being OP "they solo dragons omg".

Nerf shamans and the same crybabies will start bitching about necromancers being too strong "no class should be able to solo PoF !!" Then it will be monks or druids or whatever is left

This is EQ, an imperfect game of imperfect balance, that never pretended otherwise. Learn to deal with it or go play a more balanced game such as chess or something. I'm sure you'll find a way to bitch there as well "I lost cuz whites move first! so unfair omg"

But on Green/Teal, I'd remove charm completely tbh.
Cant agree anymore again ,lol.

Yes, bear with class's unbalanced OP or let the server progress to PoP/GOD/OOW etc,when the class balancing is far better.

it's not like bard swarming or chardok aoe, those things make the whole zone being affected. Charm only affect 1 group and or 1 camp point , a charmed mob cant change whole zones gameplay experience.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:09 AM
Kobold

How can the argument to keep current charm mechanics in place be that "it is classic" if we don't know if we have the classic charm mechanics in place?

To my knowledge, current mechanics are a best guess and the purpose of this thread is to discuss whether that guess is classic or not.

I honestly don't know. I play a cleric, but the absolute certainty that the mechanics are classic/accurate is interesting. We all agree Chanters weren't played like this on classic/live and some feel that is just due to ignorance/technical limitations, but rest assured mechanics ARE 110% the same as p99. Surely there is more evidence than anecdotal feels and "we couldn't do it reliably bc mom picks up phone d/c me."
Old 11-21-2019, 11:13 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Frozen Moses charm tanking AoW was very reliable on a long, critical fight. I'm sorry. You could get 255 CHA before Velious.
No one cares about your feelings and memories about Frozen Moses dude, try doing some actual research and then get back to me.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:16 AM
Banned

RNF time

Wurl needs a plastic helmet before we go in too, maybe another lesson on post counts
Old 11-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let's put this in context shall we? I played a Shaman. We had the Shaman's Crucible forum, where we discussed things like "cann-dancing". If you're not familiar with the term, it means meditating, waiting for the game to synchronize over the network with the server, then standing, casting, and sitting back down again before another synchronization point.

Now, you're going to try and tell me that Enchanter players, who had their own forum to discuss strategies and tactics, and who were every bit as smart as Shaman ... couldn't figure out that it was a good thing to cast one of their spells?

Again, I completely understand that players today have far greater knowledge today than players back then. But you're stretching the "they were just dumb back then" argument entirely too far: it can't possibly explains the discrepancy.

That's not my argument. My argument was that if there was a viable, not overly complex (and also awesome) way for players to solo well and do more damage than any other player in the game ... they wouldn't have just failed to notice that, even though it was 1999.

Okay so let me just try and summarize your overall point within your constantly shifting narrative and long, rambling posts:

There's no actual evidence that Charm is working any differently on P99 than it was back in the day. But because more people do it now than did it back then that must mean that it works differently on P99. Therefore, we should make changes and nerf the class based on this arbitrary theory.

Am I understanding your overall point correctly? Yes? Okay. As we know, no significant change is going to be made based on some strange arbitrary theory that P99's mechanics must be different because more people do something on P99 than did on live. Moved to resolved; take the L and move on.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let's put this in context shall we? I played a Shaman. We had the Shaman's Crucible forum, where we discussed things like "cann-dancing". If you're not familiar with the term, it means meditating, waiting for the game to synchronize over the network with the server, then standing, casting, and sitting back down again before another synchronization point.

Now, you're going to try and tell me that Enchanter players, who had their own forum to discuss strategies and tactics, and who were every bit as smart as Shaman ... couldn't figure out that it was a good thing to cast one of their spells?

Again, I completely understand that players today have far greater knowledge today than players back then. But you're stretching the "they were just dumb back then" argument entirely too far: it can't possibly explains the discrepancy.

That's not my argument. My argument was that if there was a viable, not overly complex (and also awesome) way for players to solo well and do more damage than any other player in the game ... they wouldn't have just failed to notice that, even though it was 1999.
Why wasn't everyone using WC caps? Why wasn't everyone farming root nets? Why wasn't everyone using GCD clickies? Why wasn't everyone a pro charmer?

The answer to all these questions is largely the same, except that being a pro charmer was ALSO hampered by crappy internet connections on top of the other reasons, giving all the more reason for it to not be a widely-done thing back in the day.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:44 AM
Sarnak

lol @ the forumquesting people are doing to protect their 20 year old elf pixels
Old 11-21-2019, 11:58 AM
Kobold

Quote:
to PoP/GOD/OOW etc,when the class balancing is far better.
You mean in GoD where parts of progression required a group of warrior, two clerics, 2k dps charm pet, puller, and whoever is being carried?
Closed Thread