Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 10-29-2019, 10:26 AM
Fire Giant

OBS is generally what is used these days. People just say Fraps as a generic term for screen recording software.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:33 AM
Large Rat

Since I established a baseline for my TTK, and showed that it appeared to be substantially similar pre-patch and post-patch, I decided to use it as a basis for further experimentation to attempt to replicate the bug as described. Rather than using Paralyzing Earth to root rot, I swapped it out for Root. Root has a maximum duration of 8 ticks, which is well below the TTK I achieve with either of the two DoT stacks I use; this guarantees that every data point will have at least one root break and subsequent re-root.

To make a projection of what my experimental TTK would be in "working as intended" (DoT ticks at 2/3 damage while a mob is moving, but ticks at full damage after they are re-rooted) and "bugged" (DoT ticks at 2/3 damage after root breaks, and continues ticking at reduced damage until DoT is reapplied), I made a couple data tables. From the baseline mean TTK data and the damage values for the spells I'm using, we can assume that the guards I'm killing take more than 3100 points of damage to defeat, but equal or less than 3245 points. Knowing that, and assuming a reliable root break at 8 ticks (which, for this small sample, turned out to be true), we can create upper and lower bounds on the impact of a root break. The lower bound can be assumed to be zero impact: root breaks, and I re-root before another DoT tick occurs. The upper bound can be defined by determining what the worst case damage lost would be. For the "working as intended" scenario, I drop the damage of two ticks - one occurring simultaneously with the root break (row highlighted in green), and the one directly after. Then, finally, for the "bug" behavior, all ticks after the root break are dropped, until I apply a new DoT. I took a look at the total damage, and once it fell within the damage bounds established in the baseline, I label that as the projected mean TTK (highlighted in red).

When things are working as intended, the impact of a couple dropped DoT ticks is actually fairly minimal; no intervention is actually required on my part to reach the defined damage range with either DoT stack (though on my table and in the experiment, I immediately recast Cessation when Splurt finishes ticking, for consistency of practice). The resultant shift in the mean TTK is only one tick; hardly noticeable in the grand scheme of things. The projection for the "bug" behavior, however, results in a significant projected shift of 6-7 ticks before achieving a kill.

I ran through the guards a couple times tonight (N = 14), and was pretty surprised at the results. The bulk of the data showed absolutely no impact from the intentional root break; the histogram looks remarkably similar to the baseline. However, there are three data points that are definitely not within the population... and correlate well with the projected TTKs for the "bug" behavior. These data points do not have any player error factors - all DoTs were applied, and none of the guards fired off a heal or lay hands. I could actually see, as I watched their health tick down, that the individual DoT ticks were taking away much smaller portions of health than I would expect. There are a couple commonalities between these three data points: one, all three guards were rooted while still moving (they were not casting, and hadn't stopped to engage me in melee); two, both were killed near the water, and were z-axis glitching between the water level and the level of the land (tower/cliff) directly above them. These circumstances were also true for other data points, however.

My sample size is relatively small, and I don't intend to continue running this experiment any further, but based on my observations during this test, I agree that there appears to be a bug specifically related to DoT damage on rooted mobs; this may be specifically related to re-rooting or rooting a mob that is currently chasing, or it may have to do with z-axis glitching resulting in a mob that is rooted, but still technically moving/chasing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NecroDoT_ProjectedNormalBehavior.jpg (20.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg NecroDot_ProjectedBugBehavior.jpg (21.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg NecroDoT_RootBreak.jpg (20.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg NecroDoT_RBvsPostTTK.jpg (22.2 KB, 4 views)
Last edited by Mairelon; 10-31-2019 at 02:37 AM..
Old 11-02-2019, 09:24 PM
Fire Giant

This is pretty major. Why wouldn't this be in patch notes, or am I blind (maybe they did)? So to confirm, this is a bug or classic? I hear different things. However, it should probably be disclosed officially whether it's a bug or not. No one seems to be aware.
Last edited by mischief419; 11-02-2019 at 09:31 PM..