Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 12:15 AM
Aviak

Default Proc Chance while Slowed (Fun Optimization for Shamans)

TL;DR: If you slow yourself while JBB spamming, you will proc up to 4x as often with the free swing you get between JBB casts.

It's pretty well known that EQEMU weapon proc chance is based on a ProcsPerMinute system, where you will proc a set number of times per minute (on average) no matter whether you are currently hasted, slowed, etc. If you attack for one hour while hasted, you will theoretically proc the same amount of times as if you were slowed for that hour. Here is the code in EQEMU that does this calculation

Code that calculates proc chance
https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/blob...tack.cpp#L5047

You can see that proc chance linearly scales with the return of GetWeaponSpeedbyHand()

Here's the code for that function GetWeaponSpeedbyHand
https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/blob.../mob.cpp#L5016

It uses attack_timer.GetDuration() which is the current attack delay, including spell effects (haste / slow)

So if you are slowed with turgers you attack 4x slower, so each swing should have 4x higher chance of proccing.

This is important: if all you are doing is turning on auto attack, you will have the same number of procs per minute whether you are slowed or not. Your proc damage will be the same. However, if you are slowed you will be losing out on a ton of attack damage.

So, why does this matter? Well it matters in two specific circumstances:

1) First-Swing Proc Chance

If you are trying to proc OT hammer while Turgers is on, each swing will have a 4x chance of proccing vs your normal attack speed. This means that while you will average out the same number of procs per minute, your first swing chance to proc hammer will be 4x higher. This has been known for some time. This means that optimal way to OT hammer proc is to slow yourself for the first swing to maximize your first swing proc chance (because it's an instant swing), then to somehow get rid of the slow for subsequent swings if it's easy to do so.

2) Shaman JBB Spam + Proc

When Shamans solo they use JBB a lot. JBB takes 8 seconds to cast and has no cooldown, so you can cast it again instantly after it finishes. If you turn on attack while casting JBB, it will swing at the mob the instant the cast finishes, allowing you to get 1 free melee attack per JBB cast.

This is the fun part: Let's say you have a weapon with a 2 second attack delay. If you slow yourself with Turgur's you will have an 8 second attack delay. So whether or are slowed or not, you will still get 1 free swing in per JBB cast. However, while you are slowed to 8 second attack delay, your proc chance will be 4x higher per swing. This means that you theoretically should be proccing 4x as much between JBB swings while slowed vs being unslowed.

Experiment

I tested this out tonight with a Smoldering Cudgel + Runed Bolster Belt, so that with Turgurs my slowed attack was around 8 seconds. I did two test of about 20 minutes of combat each, one slowed and one unslowed. While I was slowed, I procced about 3x as much as when I was unslowed. With a big proc like the cudgel, this ended up being a pretty nice dps increase of about 1000 damage per mob (after resists).

This could also be used for something like trying to proc tash stick or snare spear between JBB casts as well.

I'm not sure if the devs intended for something like this to be possible, but it's not game breaking either way. Just a fun trick for super optimized shaman solo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-07-2021, 12:41 AM
Planar Protector

I would slow people who were dueling me to proc their OT hammer. That's when I was exposed to this mechanic. Also I'd use this trick with my Di`zok Oracle Shillelagh to help with the initial slow at raids. Then back off and do Turgur's Insects for max slow.

Nice write up. Could be added to the wiki. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://wiki.project1999.com/Weapon_Procs

edit: also enchanter can slow!
https://wiki.project1999.com/Debuff_Guide#Attack_Speed
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 09-07-2021 at 12:45 AM..
Old 09-07-2021, 02:26 PM
Skeleton

I assumed haste and slows worked like this:

100% / (1+.75) = 57.1428% of base attack speed

And not like this:

100% x (1-.75) = 25% of base attack speed
Old 09-07-2021, 07:17 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by battins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I assumed haste and slows worked like this:

100% / (1+.75) = 57.1428% of base attack speed

And not like this:

100% x (1-.75) = 25% of base attack speed
99% sure it's the second one. Just look at the swing timer before and after. It's about 4 times as slow.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:25 PM
Kobold

This mechanic was on live, remember using earthshaker+rampage while slowed to empty PoInnovation
Closed Thread