Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Large Rat

Default Please Change the Two Boxing Rule

I know, the people have been heard and the majority has ruled against it, but I would hope that some people would be open minded enough to consider my point of view and change what I think is an unnecessary rule.

From what I have gathered, the most cogent reason given as to why this rule is in place, is that the quality of the in-game community will be degraded by too many people playing double characters.

I agree with this argument to a certain extent. Yes, if a very high percentage of players were double boxing, then all the symptoms described by those against it would probably become an issue.

I disagree that this rather vague percentage will ever be reached. The majority of players are still going to be playing the game in a solo manner. It was like that before, it will be like that now. I can't recall once in the past of me ever thinking to myself "these damn two boxers, always ruining my fun!".

It really was never a problem. Usually it was just the opposite. The only time I ever really noticed a two boxer impacting the game was when we were grouped together and they were having a positive effect on game play, i.e. extra buffs, heals, etc. , just like any other character being controlled by one person.

Now your probably thinking, well thanks for sharing your view, now move along. Well that is the reason for my post. I am moving along although I really don't wish to and there really isn't a place to move along to anymore.

Like many other people, I have had a love for this game for many years. I eventually stopped playing because I wasn't happy with all the changes being made to it, and frankly all the time I was spending playing was beyond ridiculous. It would have been great to be able to come back to the game I had known and enjoy it again, not just because of the original content, but also because it was doable within my current lifestyle.

I am no longer willing or able to spend my time, especially my mornings, sitting around looking for a group to play with, and when that group is eventually found, not being able to get anything else in real life done. Being able to two box is a solution to this problem. It allows you the freedom to play the game in a semi-afk capacity while you go about your daily business. What is so wrong with that? It doesn't mean you never group with other people, you just regulate it to when you have the time to focus your full attention on the game.

Many player's lifestyles and priorities have changed over the last ten or so years but our love for this game has not. I used to stay up all night raiding and adding pizza boxes to my collection, now I wake up early in the morning and enjoy cooking a nice meal for my family in the evening.

The two boxing rule being enforced on this server is driving people like myself away from the game. We either play the game because we can or we don't play at all. We don't wish to interfere with any others enjoyment or hurt the game whatsoever, we just want to go about our game business quietly and at a leisurely pace.

I hope some people will take my thoughts into consideration and change a rule that I believe labels many decent players as troublemakers and thus considers them better off dead.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Fire Giant

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Fire Giant

Live: 2 boxing costs you extra money, the majority of people didn't 2 box for this reason.

P99: 2 boxing would be free, almost everyone + their grandmothers would 2 box, everything would be even worse camped than now, raiding would be a total shitfest. The server would be garbage, the majority of people would /quit, p99 would be dead.

Play a solo class if you dont want to be in need of grps.

/thread
Old 02-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Sarnak

Play a mage, necro or a druid. These classes can solo and this solves all issues you mentioned in your post. By the way the reason you want to solo is what the 1 client per IP corrects. Everyone doing there own thing.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedala [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Live: 2 boxing costs you extra money, the majority of people didn't 2 box for this reason.

P99: 2 boxing would be free, almost everyone + their grandmothers would 2 box, everything would be even worse camped than now, raiding would be a total shitfest. The server would be garbage, the majority of people would /quit, p99 would be dead.

Play a solo class if you dont want to be in need of grps.

/thread
This, two-boxing would ruin the server. No boxing is part of what makes this server great.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Fire Giant

While you attempt to make a logical reason, I have to disagree.
There are many other aspects to the game other than just sitting LFG. You can tradeskill, do a quest, work some faction while waiting. Also, why "sit" LFG, you can be a bit more pro-active and approach groups that you are interested in joining. The only time I EVER had an issue finding a group was when I just sat LFG. When I approach groups and tell them that I am interested in taking a spot in line, I get a tell within the hour.

The second reason that it could be difficult for you to find a group is because the server's population is fairly high for the content, therefore a lot of the popular exp zones are filled up. Once kunark is released, within a month, there will be more exp zones, more players and more groups.

Finally, the last thing you can do to find a group is form a group of your own and venture into Kedge. Kedge is usually a fairly empty place, therefore a great area to level in.

I feel that an argument of "I can't get groups" is fairly weak for justifying 2-boxing. If I can find groups as a ranger, "allegedly the most hated class in EQ before Luclin," then anyone else can.
Last edited by Zadrian; 02-20-2011 at 04:06 PM..
Old 02-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eseven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am no longer willing or able to spend my time, especially my mornings, sitting around looking for a group to play with, and when that group is eventually found, not being able to get anything else in real life done. Being able to two box is a solution to this problem.
This, among other things in your post, was what struck me as quoteworthy. This is a game -- if you don't have the time to play, that's how it works. You don't have the time.

If you need to get RL things done, why are you online in the first place? And, if I might add -- if you are too busy to play a single character properly, how does the ability to play two or more make things easier on you and give you -more- time to do things away from the keyboard(s)? Surely you would be just as AFK as a single member of a group, only the rest of your group could function without you while you were momentarily AFK?

Sorry, your logic seems flawed to me. I'm happy that people aren't supposed to be boxing -- though we all know that people do it, and I hope that they get caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratis View Post
Or you people could quit being children and stop treating minor issues as major infractions. There are tons of petitions coming in for reasons that can actually be resolved quickly and don't culminate in a message board brawl by a bunch of adults acting like brats.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Sarnak

The main arguments against 2boxing are that it will prevent people from grouping, it will exacerbate camping problems, and it will reduce the community / player interaction.

Your arguments in favor of 2boxing are that it will allow you to not group, will allow you to solo stuff you normally wouldn't be able to, and will keep you from having to interact with other players to advance...

Your reasons for supporting 2boxing are the exact same reasons it isn't allowed in the first place.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

The reason why two-boxing never affected anyone back in the day is because not everyone could do it, since they'd have to pay twice the subscription fees. This isn't true on p99.

What I've seen on other servers is that two-boxing essentially forces everyone else to do it too to maintain the same advantage or to be able to get anything done (as groups are consistently filled by multi-boxers). I think that's an unreasonable entry cost for people like me who just generally dislike engaging in two-boxing for ourselves.

Lastly, has anyone considered what multiboxing would do to raiding?? Holy shit would that be ridiculous. There'd be no entry cost at all for being a small guild since you could just multibox a raid force without actually having the members to support it. Also, at later hours where european guilds have the most chance to get any access to content, other guilds could cockblock them by just having a few members on who can multibox. One of the ways one guild gets a competitive advantage over others is with numbers - ie, by having more numbers and by hoping the other guild has less so that they can't clear efficiently or camp bosses legally (since you need 15). This is eliminated if people can just two-box.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 02-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Kobold

Go play EZ server or Hidden Forest or something. Two-box the shit out of it. It will NEVER be allowed here. I prefer it that way.