Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want a texture update to the character models?
Yes. It looks better with some SoV texture elements. 409 64.31%
Yes, but it has to be 100% classic! No SoV textures. 84 13.21%
Maybe. 54 8.49%
No. Classic is better. 89 13.99%
Voters: 636. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Aviak

Question Character Texture Update

I've been thinking of doing a player texture update for a while now. I love the classic look of the models, but the textures make me cringe. I extracted them and some are a microscopic 32x64! It got me thinking about redoing them in a higher resolution now that the client can actually handle larger texture sizes. I did a little digging and found that the SoV armor textures were a 2x increase in size. I think I want to do them at 4x the classic size. To test it out I made a demo using a monk wearing full monk armor. For the test I didn't stick to the classic texture 100% because I felt the SoV armor textures had some better qualities to it.

Doing this is a HUGE amount of work, so I want to know for sure there are people out there that want this.

Update 8.28.11
Thanks for all your support guys. After months of work, the first release is almost ready. Initially I wasn't going to do faces because it seemed like a lot of work and I wasn't sure anyone would like it after the metro-sexual pirate monk fiasco (lol!!), but Nysus made some extremely nice looking faces and that convinced me it was worth it.

Here is the current progress of the initial release and some pictures of completed texture sets.

Character Texture Update v0.1:
Cloaks - Complete
Human Male Armor - Complete
Human Male Faces - In Progress (Nysus)
Human Female Armor - Complete
Human Female Faces - In Progress 12.5%

Pictures:
Cloaks
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Human Male

Human Female
Last edited by Xevin; 08-28-2011 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Update 8.28.11
Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Aviak

I DO WANT THIS! Good job!

<Vesica Dei>
Old 03-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Fire Giant

Although it does look nice, personally the higher rez textures look more cartoony, for some reason makes me think of that new star wars cartoon. And the muddy textures/pixelation etc is how I remember EQ, so it makes me want to play that way.

So for me personally Im going to stick with original textures, since upgrading them makes the game look more modern. Closer to WOW.

I may be a bad example, im the type of person that chose to play through Morrowind in unmodded state where there are mods available to make it look closer to Oblivion, view distance/20x texture size etc.

Just my 2c [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

PS - Great job on those textures. If i wasnt playing P99 for retro fix feel, id definitely use them.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Fire Giant

I LOVE it. Can you also fix the helm15 and helm 24 eye transparencies in the global_chr file at the same time? (the updated texture versions)

I'm more than happy to test any textures you want to.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Aviak

Awesome job again! Is it possible to do this with all the game textures? And since its on a local basis people can choose if they want it or not...

Project 1999: Blue
Muergan Valiantheart <Altered Vision>
52 Paladin
Battlemage Omnipotent <Altered Vision>
26 Magician

Project 1999: Green
Pooks <The Drift>
60 Rogue
Muergan Valiantheart <The Drift>
49 Paladin
Old 03-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Project Manager

Looks very clean. Nice work!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Sarnak

Maybe the monk is a bad example? In the old version he looks like a rugged badass. In the new version he looks like a metrosexual pirate.

What do the un-upgrade SOF textures look like?

What do the normal textures just increased by 2x or 4x look like?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Sarnak

Looks nice on the body and clothes, but not a fan of how the face looks

It kind of looks like he's wearing foundation and rouge. Probably plucks a little too.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Sarnak

Next they'll be tellin us theirs a fix for those ugly old skel and wolf textures [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Soulez Taken SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimm View Post
Not only best thread ever, but best poster ever. Going back and reading each one of this guy's 101 posts has been amazing. Its like someone gave a down syndrome child a handle of vodka and a keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind View Post
Where did my underwear go?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:52 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Looks nice on the body and clothes, but not a fan of how the face looks

It kind of looks like he's wearing foundation and rouge. Probably plucks a little too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe the monk is a bad example? In the old version he looks like a rugged badass. In the new version he looks like a metrosexual pirate.
The face was tricky. There was very little to work with and I didn't want to add anything that wasn't there to begin with. So all I did was smooth out the skin and hair and recreate the eye patch. Then I directly copied the main facial elements and tried my best to clean the pixelation off of them. It turned out making him look about 15 years younger. I think if I do this, I'm going to have to add things to the faces like skin texture and wrinkles, otherwise everyone will look like they are 18 and wearing make up.

Damn metrosexual-pirate-monks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What do the un-upgrade SOF textures look like?

What do the normal textures just increased by 2x or 4x look like?
Not sure what SOF is. If you mean SoV, just image all the classic parts don't change and then add 2x quality stuff on top of it. Apparently SOE lost the original files for their stuff or something, so they just tacked things on top of what they already had.

The classic textures in the first post ARE scaled 4x. It doesn't change the pixelation at all sadly. That was the first thing I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muergan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is it possible to do this with all the game textures?
That's what this post is here to find out. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can you also fix the helm15 and helm 24 eye transparencies in the global_chr file at the same time? (the updated texture versions)
Well if I'm in there messing around with these textures, I might as well fix SOE's mistakes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redghosthunter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Next they'll be tellin us theirs a fix for those ugly old skel and wolf textures [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dude! What an awesome idea! That's next. =)