Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Sarnak

Default Ranger ranging 30+

I just dinged 30 on my ranger and I'm looking for a new place to level. She's spent every level from 3-30 in a dank smelly dungeon. I want to get out in the open world to do some bow kiting, tracking and fear kiting some animals. What are some good spots to go at 30 and beyond with enough space to kite and do general ranger things.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:23 AM
Banned

Probably the Gnolls outside Splitpaw in South Karana (#6 on map)

They also drop scrolls that you can sell to other players for 30p a piece.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:46 AM
Sarnak

Might need another level or 2 depending how geared you are but fear kiting cougars on the dock in ice clad is one of the easiest animal fear kiting camps. plus you can bind at the dock and sell not to far away.

Pull them 2/3rds down the dock and then fear them. 90% of the time they ping pong on the dock so you don't have to worry about social aggro. occasionally they will walk off the dock. I usually just sit and med until they come back at that point. you could also pew pew them.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:56 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXG [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Might need another level or 2 depending how geared you are but fear kiting cougars on the dock in ice clad is one of the easiest animal fear kiting camps. plus you can bind at the dock and sell not to far away.

Pull them 2/3rds down the dock and then fear them. 90% of the time they ping pong on the dock so you don't have to worry about social aggro. occasionally they will walk off the dock. I usually just sit and med until they come back at that point. you could also pew pew them.
Do the pirates sell arrows do you know?
Old 08-20-2018, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Do cougars in Iceclad Ocean, but do them outside of the Tower of Frozen Shadow. If you go to about 2700, 1700 there's like a small snowy beach, and the area right above it is a safe spot. There's tons of cougars (an no other mobs) in the forest nearby, and you can pull them to the safe spot and then fear kite them from there.

If you try to kill them by the docks you have the advantage of being right near your spawn point ... but you're way more likely to die, because there's nowhere to run (the island doesn't have a land bridge and isn't big enough to lose agro on), and since Rangers can't gate that means even a single add can easily mean death. I died there several times before I moved to the ToFS spot, which does have a land iceberg bridge to the next island, and you can zone out from that island. Also I found it much easier to avoid adds at the second spot, and if I did get them the island was big enough that I could usually root the add and then run far enough away to lose it (I've only had to run to zone once the entire time I've been there).

I just brought my Ranger at level 30 a week or two ago. I got through that hell level and now he's 34 ... and still killing cougars [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 08-20-2018 at 11:51 AM..
Old 08-20-2018, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

My ranger preferred tofs spot, but look out for the midnight leopard and garou.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My ranger preferred tofs spot, but look out for the midnight leopard and garou.
Good call, I forgot to mention them. Garou is pretty rare (I've been there for weeks and I had never even seen him until just today). Midnight is less rare, but still not very common (I've gone days without seeing him, but I also saw him twice in one day). Luckily he's only a little higher than the other cougars, so by the time you hit 33 or 34 you should be able to kill him, and before that you should still be able to root him and run (or even survive without the root as long as you have SoW up).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:03 PM
Fire Giant

I wouldn't bow kite anything in Velious to be honest. I'd be going to OT and kite succulents til the 40s, then DL if you're looking for a challenge. Velious mob HP is way overblown for the XP they give, save for maybe the cougars.
Red99: 60 Ranger / 60 Rogue / 60 Monk / 60 Necro / 55 Wiz / 54 Paladin / 54 Bard / 48 Druid
Old 08-21-2018, 09:16 AM
Sarnak

I ended up going to everfrost and killing mammoths. They're now all green at 32. Kinda loved the giant open zone though! Would south or north Karan a have mobs a level 32 could hunt?
Old 08-21-2018, 09:22 AM
Planar Protector

If you can save your money and fear kite animals to 45 the Tolan’s bracer makes the bow game less horrible.

I did cougars in IC and dogs in GD to late 30’s and hit 45 on raptors in WL.
Closed Thread