Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 11:32 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Newbie (to game and server)

Hey all. I started out playing MMO's with Ultima Online. It was my baby for a very long time. I have ALWAYS been a casual MMO player - the pace of new MMO's is exhausting for me. While Ultima and Everquest are both "hardcore" MMO's, I like the way they both handle time, including downtime.

But the thing is I never really got to play EQ. I had a potato of a computer really, until about 2009. Of course by this point, the fervor died down; I had a Mac sometime in between and enjoyed Early WoW, but I always felt like I missed out. The times I did get to play EQ in '99 at my cousins it was really fun.

Jumping into 1999 has been amazing because it is exactly how I remember it. I started with a shadow knight, am about to hit level 5 after a long day of playing, and have already partied up with several people...I am surprised I have seen so many people!! It honestly doesn't seem any less populated than the day I played twenty years ago.

So hello everyone!
Old 08-12-2019, 02:52 PM
Kobold

Hey Phosis! It's great to have new people coming to the server

It's a great place with a lot of cool people and much fun to be had.

What race did you start as?
Old 08-12-2019, 03:07 PM
Banned

Welcome! You'll enjoy P99...you have the right approach / attitude for the pace of the game.

Keep the p99 wiki close by. Tons and tons of useful information there.

You picked a great class for grouping and being the tank. Be social, tell people you're new....lots of helpful folks out there working on the 5th, 6th, 7th alt with lots of resources.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:12 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welcome! You'll enjoy P99...you have the right approach / attitude for the pace of the game.

Keep the p99 wiki close by. Tons and tons of useful information there.

You picked a great class for grouping and being the tank. Be social, tell people you're new....lots of helpful folks out there working on the 5th, 6th, 7th alt with lots of resources.
That sums it up really well ! Wiki is your friend for sure
Old 08-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Be social, tell people you're new....lots of helpful folks out there working on the 5th, 6th, 7th alt with lots of resources.
This for sure.

Because the assumption with most people on this server is that everyone has played a lot of EQ before, people can be pretty short when you seem like you don't know what you are doing

That said, if they know you are new to the game, nearly without exception, they will be helpful and explain how to do things.

I also suggest really listening when people do explain things, there is a lot of intricate knowledge of EQ floating around on this server, and if you will accept it you can be very good very quickly. Don't be that shaman that "prefers" to med rather than canni, or that wizard that doesn't want to root adds and just wants to nuke things at 100% health, or in your case maybe the "dps" Shadowknight who wont be told differently.

This game is a ton of fun, and your character can be very powerful if done correctly. And unlike in many other games, there is often an actually correct way to play your class in a given situation.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks for the welcomes, and the advice! I am happy to be here.

Just this morning, when pop was sitting at a quiet 500, I was grinding levels. There was a druid in the area, so I did a shout to ask for some buffs. She obliged. Awhile later, she found me in Qeynos, and dropped a big bag of decent starting gear for me, and just told me to pay it forward to someone else who needed it.

Needless to say, I am at my damage cap for melee, and can actually survive outside of Qeynos now. So thanks again to her!
Old 08-14-2019, 01:20 PM
Sarnak

Welcome! Defiantly a lot of fun around here! Many nice people too. I’ve been given just about everything I have which I’m thankful for because plat is hard to earn until lvl 20+ when when you start killing stuff that drops bronze and fine steel items that sell to the vendors for several plat each. Still it’s tough to save up several hundred pp for that mid range pice of armor or weapon.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:28 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I have been fortunate in receiving some significant help.

Here is a list of things kind players have done for me.

-Random buffs, of course. These always help.
-Finding me in town awhile after buffing me in a different zone with a bag of gear including a better sword and some armor.
-Dragging my corpse back to Blackburrow after I ran to Halas to meet up with a friend and died at the entrance of the town.
-That same user following me back to Qeynos and giving me 500 platinum, not to mention a good conversation.

I have found numerous groups, made several friends, and overall, it has been a really wonderful experience.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:39 PM
Aviak

not the same experience from me...
i tryed my first everquest char, an iksar necromancer.
once in kunark tower, i cant do anything with twinked player that farm everything or leech you if they dont find mob. (druid friendly guild, or something like that, best leecher)
so i tryed a druid for group, i find a 40+ mage, ask him for some gold to buy my first spell, he said "sorry mate". And again, some level later, cant group but have to fight with old player to have some creep. I finally think it was better to let them all creep and uninstall everquest. Sad experience. From an old player who started with daoc, and who wanted to try that game older player always tallked about.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:02 AM
Kobold

Welcome