Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

We're not arguing whether or not a fungi is good. But when it comes down to it, knights are just spell casters with a moderately high HP pool and access to high AC stuff. You can't throw items on a spell caster to make them better. A SK with enough support can do his or her role naked and unarmed. You probably wouldn't notice much of a DPS drop.

So when I say it doesn't matter what you put on your SK, I mean it. Nice things are nice to have, but the only (very) good thing about this class is a 10 mana spell.
That doesn't take much gear.
Last edited by Cecily; 07-18-2015 at 05:37 PM..
Old 07-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Planar Protector

You assume the SK is grouping.

Grouping SK you're largely right. Soloing though, of course you're wrong. Fungi, Haste and Good weapon change how soloing a melee goes, and greatly increases your speed/efficiency.

Even grouping though, having a fungi changes how effective you are in a group. Especially pre-30s.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd say Fungi and a decent weapon. Some haste. HF soloing.
I don't think we disagree, and I am largely referring to grouping. That's where a SK shines. Not a very good solo class.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Target npc. Cast disease cloud. Press auto attack.
This level of mediocrity will just about get a Shadow Knight twink to the 50-54 range where most of them get bored and quit.

--------------------------------

Fungi tunics are handy even at high levels on a class that can feign. It's nice being able to recover life when you're feigned somewhere for fifteen minutes. They can always be resold, usually for not much loss, so purchasing one if budget permits makes good sense. Haste and a decent weapon are also desirable on a class that maintains a tolerable degree of solo capability (by melee standards) even at high levels. Mid-range armor will suffice for leveling because it doesn't matter enough in groups when monsters only hit for 60 or 70.

That being said, don't make an SK twink. The class doesn't start to shine until past the levels where twink gear makes a player feel like a god among men. If you want to make a fun mindless twink, make something like a Rogue or Warrior or Monk instead.

Danth
Old 07-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Planar Protector

I really don't think SK is much more cerebral than a pure melee.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:13 PM
Planar Protector

Then odds are you're bad at it. That's okay--no shame. Not every class clicks for every player. I stink on healers for example.

Which means your opinion has genuine value--and I do not mean that as sarcasm. Most Shadow Knight twinks are pretty mediocre. That's exactly why so many of them peter out and quit in the high 40's or low 50's. Twink gear can't carry a player past that point.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 07-18-2015 at 06:22 PM..
Old 07-18-2015, 06:23 PM
Planar Protector

Cecily, regarding the value of a fungi on the tank to a group's leveling speed, think of it this way: a fungi on the tank vs not is like clarity on the healer vs not. (15 hp per tick, even sup heal is barely over 2:1 efficient and its worst at lower levels, c is 7 mana per tick)

If you think a group doesn't get significantly better xp when the healer has c than not, you just haven't been paying close enough attention! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 07-18-2015 at 06:27 PM..
Old 07-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

I actually don't play one, because looking at their skill set they just aren't versatile enough. All they really are is a low dps tank.

Efficient snap agro spells. That's their only selling point. The taps are expensive and don't heal for much. Snare and fear is all they have for crowd control. The higher end dots are impressive but completely unsustainable on a hybrid's mana pool. Feign death. Low level pet.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, SK tools always struck me as novelty+convenience more than highly effective (apart from the threat generation).

Might be me just being a bad SK though. My VERY twinked SK only got to 45 I think.

SKs are a bit like wizards though probably. On a fresh server or normal timeline where all melee dps is way, way lower, a shitty pet and the ability to burst dps by burning mana would be pretty sweet.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:36 PM
Planar Protector

I'm genuinely curious how the super good SKs play differently. Being a good tank in a group scenario is about target selection and positioning. It has nothing to do with skill sets and it's equally relevant to warriors and knights. And actually does require quite a bit of focus and thinking.
Closed Thread