Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 09:18 AM
Banned

Default The 1HS+Shield vs 2HS Shadowknight debate

Dear elfs, I’m a pretty filthy SK casual and would like to know what’s the ideal weapons setup for my blue SK?

**lowbie group dungeon crawl playstyle Green Jade Halberd ATM
Old 06-25-2018, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

If you don't have a ton of cash to invest, 1h and shield is always a good bet; especially as sks get some nice cheap(ish) high ratio 1 handers.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 06-25-2018, 11:08 AM
Aviak

Or in other words your budget determines your “ideal” with how abundant gear is on p1999.

For soloing or group content most people would recommend just using your best DPS ratio weapon in your bags (typically a 2h after the level 20 damage cap increase) to keep fights as short as possible and therefor taking less damage overall then additional shield AC/stats would have mitigated. Also consider there are less enemy ripostes and less enemy Damage Shield hits being taken while using 2h weapons. If you need a shield to bash, like to interrupt vital spells such as gate then certainly swap one in when needed.

There are rarer end game tradeable Knight class 1h that have significantly better DPS ratios then your halberd but consider if spending tens of thousands of PP for improved damage on a class that uses spells to tank and hold threat is worth it over your 200-400pp halberd when you could spend the money improving your durability with better armor and Hp jewelry. Or spending it on getting convenience items like Jboots.

For comparison:

2h “budget?” upgrade

http://wiki.project1999.com/Exquisite_Velium_Battle_Axe

Vs

1h “budget” dps downgrade

http://wiki.project1999.com/Noctivagant_Blade

Vs the “ideal?”

https://wiki.project1999.com/Massive_Dragonclaw_Shard
Old 06-25-2018, 02:03 PM
Banned

thank you for your informative posts

i will stick with my Green Jade Halberd as i have already spent all my plat (lol)

after achieving a satisfactory FashionQuest state my next priority item acquisition will be haste
Old 06-25-2018, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

2H weapons are typically better than 1-hand options of the same price, and that's without factoring in the additional cost of a shield. Long term, most Shadow Knights probably end up using both types as the situation dictates.

Danth
Old 06-25-2018, 03:17 PM
Planar Protector

Use the gjh to level, remember to keep other cheap weapon to train all weapons as you level, having to close a 150 skill point gap suck... Once higher level, get a rotting sword of pain from velktor's lab...
Old 06-27-2018, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

My understanding (never parsed) is that a Jade Halberd or Deathbringer Rod is going to outdamage most all 1h's except for the $80k+ Massive Dragonclaw Shard. The MDS is going to do less damage than and Exquisite 2h or a Reaver which is 1/10th to 1/4th the price. If you are face-tanking with a quick 1h you are going to eat more ripostes and your own ripostes will be lower dmg.

After haste once you have the other cheap HP items I would get a Noc Blade or MOSS and a Clay Guardian Shield. You can eventually get a free Sword of Pain in the bear pets of Velks (19/24) or upgrade the MOSS to an Ebon Mace.

Having a 1h/board and 2h is always recommended simply to keep you from getting bored. Your only chores in a group are aggro and sometimes pulling; it's not like you are a rogue training 1hb in each hand and gimping the team.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:53 PM
Banned

That’s awesome to hear. I feel more powerful already.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:00 PM
Sarnak

Ebon Mace is cheap and the ratio is only barely worse than the best tradeable 2h

You might as well take advantage of bash and the oddball stats you find on any cheap shield

You *can* swap out weapons to bash, but it's pretty irritating. I did this on my warrior and hitting lvl 55 was the best day of my life (warrior kicks auto stun at lvl 55)

Ripostes, either given or taken are such an infinitesimal amount of damage either way that I don't think they enter into discussion at all unless you're talking about Furious disc to generate initial aggro and allow your CH chain to get into the correct position. Shadowknights don't get Furious disc, so who cares? Me? I've used that tactic like twice in the last 15 months of raiding. When I was a small child, I thought riposte was the single coolest ability ever. It's sadly just irrelevant. It's cool, but irrelevant in the numbers department.
Last edited by beargryllz; 06-27-2018 at 04:04 PM..
Old 06-27-2018, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

1h +board is better against casters, you generally get more resist like that and bash... For pretty much all else 2hs probably makes more sense... Less chance to get riposted, heavier riposte, better dps, obviously you can have more ac/hp with two items but I wonder where that really worth the loss.. Definitely not on casual dungeon groups...
Closed Thread