Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 04:16 PM
Sarnak

Paladin is alright...it's just their role is extremely limited when raiding. They get a buff that gives people 200hp....that is their most important job. To cast divine strength. They have a few other niche roles , like picking up junk mobs and snap agroe on enchanter charm breaks, super weak dps. But a raid only ever needs one paladin. Honestly I always want 1 paladin on a raid, shadow knight is completely extraneous. Don't NEED any of those.
Last edited by trite; 07-22-2018 at 04:22 PM..
Old 07-22-2018, 06:49 PM
Kobold

My SK is 9/0 in paladin duels.
Just saying...
Old 07-22-2018, 10:27 PM
Planar Protector

@trite never saw the use of a sk in the pull team? That's a great addition to all the mnks... Niche use but don't forget the pet can be really usefull... Easy one way pull, safe and easy train are two of the main use...
Old 07-22-2018, 10:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73© [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you had 40 warriors and 20 clerics you could kill anything on the server, literally every other class is optional. Pick what you want to play. The good news is Knight raid gears goes for super cheap and there is basically no competition for it since Velious is pretty old now
This sounds like something that should happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:06 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jauna [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eh. When you get into your 50s you will start to feel the hybrid tank drag. Sure you are good at snap agro but eventually you are just a vessel for other people to fast track to 60.

A geared warrior will always beat you in damage, tanking ability and just being cool.
1-40 wurmslayers are an amazing thing for agro
40+ is when good proc weapons start to work
52+ is when they get evasive, and believe me that a Miss is just as much agro as a 500+ damage crip

Not only are you in a gigantic uphill battle in a 9 year old server where people have dozens of level 60 epiced out alts who can switch to at a moments notice you will never be.. needed. Your group heal is weak and big agro, your HoT is weak but kinda useful and your hp buff really isnt a huge deal since most will prefer SoN anyways since the 125hp diff wont mean dick to dps and most casters/healers hide anyways.

If you have zero ambition for end game, go paladin but if you wanna be a big dick raider then cleric.
This guy nailed it - harsh but the truth.

If you plan to hit 60, raid a lot high-end contents, become a key raid contributor, etc. then cleric.

If you want social fun with small groups and not care about min-max or comparing with the top dogs on server, then paladin.

Also, melees are typically more gear dependent. Sure you can play without good gears, but people WILL notice the diff when a monk tanks better than you.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagorf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This guy nailed it - harsh but the truth.
If you are completely burnt out, hate the idea of levelling, bitter about just about everything, yes. Nailed it. I don't think the OP is suffering from any of this.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Banned

You're never going to be the best at P99. So make what you want to play! Choose your favorite race and class and slay! Paladins are not the WORST class, there is no worst class in my eyes.. Paladin's will be super fun to level all the way up to 60!! And you'll get awesome spells!! You'll be a find tank.. Super end game you'll realize you won't be called on as MT anymore, since warriors are better suited for that. But that doesn't mean you can't raid. You just won't be MT like you're used to.. Responsibilities just change. Play a paladin cause nobody else does, that's good enough reason alone! And be even cooler by making that Paladin an Erudite!
Old 07-23-2018, 01:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are only so many classes that can double DA pull and paladin is one of them. If you want to sit in camp and tank dragons play a warrior. If you want an easier path choose cleric. If you want to improvise and make plays try a paladin.
QFT
Old 07-23-2018, 05:45 PM
Aviak

Like Atmas said I really like letting the paladins tank HoT. They can hold aggro while casting group heals on the other melee in their group to negate the AoE damage.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:36 PM
Kobold

My guild always has a knight tank the green drakes (slowers) in HoT because they hold the aggro without the white dmg aggro and procs.
A paladin with his LoH, reaper and a soulfire is a super valuable thing to have standing next to the main tank during a big fight.
Closed Thread