Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to toddfx
Default Restricted On-Screen keyboard functionality?

Is there any known reason that would keep a bunch of keys from working on the Windows on-screen keyboard?

With default EQ control key assignments, the arrow keys, numeric keypad (except 0?), and the page up/down/home/end cluster seem to be disabled within EQ.

F1-12, all letters, alt/ctl/shift, spacebar, esc, num-lock, and the 0 key on numeric pad all seem to function properly.

However, the keys that are disabled seem to be the ones bound to specific character movements. For example if I bind the "I" key to move forward and bind the "up arrow" to open inventory, the "I" key no longer functions yet the up arrow key opens the inventory just fine!

This leads me to believe there is a lockout in place on EQs end that keep you from using on-screen keyboards to control your character. Is this true?

I ran into this problem while using remote desktop, but have confirmed the problem exists in EQ no matter what. Also, everything about the on-screen keyboard functions as normal in other Windows applications, with and without remote desktop enabled. I have downloaded alternative virtual on-screen keyboards and run into the same problem.
Last edited by toddfx; 05-18-2010 at 12:38 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Sarnak

If what you say is true, then its a client or an OS issue. Nothing we can do about it.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Sarnak

So as far as the devs here know, there are no locks in place to prevent virtual keyboard interaction? I could see something like that being locked out to prevent the possibility of people from doing some sort of elaborate automatic macro hack.

I just want to make sure that is not the case before I pull my hair out troubleshooting.

I'm surprised the lack of virtual keyboard support hasn't been brought up before. It certainly is an issue of accessibility, isn't it?

Can others test their Windows on-screen keyboard within EQ please? The movement and view controls are what seem to be the problematic ones.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Sarnak

So it turns out it may indeed be an OS issue. I was experiencing the problem using EQ on Windows XP Professional x64, but have just succesfully tested it on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Both the Windows on-screen keybaord as well as the virtual remote desktop keyboard seem to function fully and properly in EQ on Windows 7.

I have read about other generic keyboard mapping issues when using remote desktop in Windows XP, but have never seen the on-screen keyboard fail to operate in this manner as well.

ShadowWolf was having some similar issues through his Droid's remote connection, so I will have to ask him what desktop OS he was running.
Last edited by toddfx; 05-24-2010 at 04:57 PM..
Old 05-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddfx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So it turns out it may indeed be an OS issue. I was experiencing the problem using EQ on Windows XP Professional x64, but have just succesfully tested it on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Both the Windows on-screen keybaord as well as the virtual remote desktop keyboard seem to function fully and properly in EQ on Windows 7.

I have read about other generic keyboard mapping issues when using remote desktop in Windows XP, but have never seen the on-screen keyboard fail to operate in this manner as well.

ShadowWolf was having some similar issues through his Droid's remote connection, so I will have to ask him what desktop OS he was running.
Issues still exist using remote access software via phone on Windows 7 64 bit however, with the movement keys again being affected.
Last edited by ShadowWulf; 05-24-2010 at 09:23 PM..
Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Fire Giant

>>delete me i dont know how i got here<<

[50 Warrior] Rumzuck Umbatsch (Ogre) <Remedy>
[34 Druid] Vito Corleone (Wood Elf) <Europa>
[35 Necromancer] Torak (Dark Elf) <Europa>
[13 Shadow Knight] Rumzerg (Dark Elf) <Europa>

EQEmuLauncher
Have your files up to date, switch between servers nice and easy, and more!
http://moestaverne.com/

Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by doacleric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If what you say is true, then its a client or an OS issue. Nothing we can do about it.
both =)

[50 Warrior] Rumzuck Umbatsch (Ogre) <Remedy>
[34 Druid] Vito Corleone (Wood Elf) <Europa>
[35 Necromancer] Torak (Dark Elf) <Europa>
[13 Shadow Knight] Rumzerg (Dark Elf) <Europa>

EQEmuLauncher
Have your files up to date, switch between servers nice and easy, and more!
http://moestaverne.com/