Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Aviak

Default Retro question

Hey all,

Just stumbled onto this! So I havent played EQ since 2003..this seems really cool retro.

Is the game play like when EQ first came out? With exp penalties for some race/class combos and other balance issues?

or is it closer to the current releases with the more current balance issues..ha

just curous...

thanks much
Old 05-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Fire Giant

Welcome! Check out the FAQ, which answers most of the questions you'll have. But yes, race/class penalties are in as they were in 1999.

No, this server is not at all like Live EQ is today.

While not 100% classic, it is closer to classic every patch. This recent post by Nilbog should help clarify this point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hope it is known that the server will become more classic as time progresses. As live servers would patch in new content or features, we patch out newer content or features.

We will restore prekunark, Kunark, and Velious to the best of our abilities. We will put polish on them, and they are free for you to roam. Some content and features may be patched out before others, but do not be of the mindset that present non-classic elements are here to stay. It is only a matter of if they can be fixed, how they can be fixed, and when we can fix them.

I am a classic purist. The biggest mistake everquest ever made, in my opinion, was automating and simplifying the player's experience. Seemingly every new feature or change that was implemented post Velious was something to "benefit" me, that I didn't need to begin with. There are PLENTY of other games that encourage perks and things that are easier. Classic Everquest was widely-known to not be one of them.

We make the best, most well-informed decisions we can, with consideration to the feedback we receive.

There was never a question of keeping global channels permanently. The question is to whether or not now is the time. The development team has to consider many factors, *some* of which were mentioned here. If there was a switch to immediately and completely revert this to classic, I'd flip it. Until there is, we will occasionally ask you for your feedback.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Aviak

Ahhh excellent..

My first character was an SK on Veeshan..leveling was a bitch...
Brad finally admitted to the leveling penalties after the overwhelming data to support it...that was irritating.

Loved playing back in the day....so many memories....jboot camps in Najena...guk trains..."Avatar to zone!" sheeeeeeeeeeeet gotta load this up.

Anyways..thanks for the info..dont forget to put that level 50 necro pet back to uber status :-)