Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:40 AM
Kobold

STR is useless for a warrior. STA = HP, Dex = Agro. It is as simple as that.

STA>DEX>AGI>STR for Warriors.

Iksar is a roung race for a Warrior, you will struggle til Velious.

Ogre is the only way to go for a min/maxer, otherwise, do what you enjoy. I play a Halfling Warrior! (Though Halfling wars aren't bad, they have a very high dex and decent stamina).
Freddee Bearfoot - 60 Halfling Druid
Spooee Bearfoot - 60 Halfling Cleric
<Vanquish>
Old 04-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddie1056 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
STR is useless for a warrior. STA = HP, Dex = Agro. It is as simple as that.

STA>DEX>AGI>STR for Warriors.

Iksar is a roung race for a Warrior, you will struggle til Velious.

Ogre is the only way to go for a min/maxer, otherwise, do what you enjoy. I play a Halfling Warrior! (Though Halfling wars aren't bad, they have a very high dex and decent stamina).
I respectfully disagree, STR has it's place. However as a level 11 iksar warrior he needs to take the best AC slot he can get first and foremost. The stats, if any on the armor will come secondary until he is in velious and can wear plate.
<Divinity>
Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Kobold

All STR does is dps. Agi gives AC. I am not saying that dps is completely useless, but it should be the last thing considered.

Also, at low levels I think those HP items are more important if you have the plat, if not, I agree, go with AC.
<Vanquish>
Old 04-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Orc

Thank you both Skullmonkey & Ted for the input, learned a lot from what both of you and everybody has contributed thus far ~

Had another question up in the air for anyone..

I heard from low to mid levels 2handers, specifically 2hs are decent for aggro & dmg..

any opinions or recommendations for that? or just aggro weapons of choice from levels 20-40..

Thank you everybody again ~
Last edited by Bayoyoy; 04-18-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Kobold

You could use an Axe of the Slayers at 30-35 for its Rune proc, but generally I would use 2 Obsidian shards until you can upgrade one of those into a SSoY or better.
<Vanquish>
Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Planar Protector

I agree with Teddee; sure STR gives you a little extra dps but realistically when I parse Sakuragi at 56 with haste, he does maybe 40 dps . . which does not compare favorably with an epic 55+ rogue at 80+. For raids STA > DEX because you will be getting aggro with the midnight mallet anyway, but for XP groups DEX > STA because you need those procs for aggro. IIRC I went 5STR/20STA and if I had to do it over again I'd do 10STA/15DEX.

I don't think Iksars are as bad as people are making them out to be as warriors, but they sure aren't good either. Basically you will be wearing sebilite scale armor at 60, which has roughly the same AC values as crafted. Crafted has 100AC, Indicolite has 155AC, and Cobalt has 220AC. The Iksar bonus is something like 35 at 60, so you're looking at 20 raw AC vs an Indicolite warrior and 80 vs a Cobalt warrior. Sakuragi has 2550HP/940AC unbuffed at 56. At 60 that'll probably be 970AC or so, compared to a full cobalt raid tank at 1080-1100. The more casual guild tanks are probably going to be something like 1040. The takeaway from all these numbers is that you'll be fine in XP groups (although you won't wow anyone) but your raiding role will be poor dps till Velious.

Keep in mind as well that Verant played a cruel joke on warriors - not only are they the most gear dependent class in EQ, they have the least ability to farm cash! That being said, most of the sebilite scale gear is cheap-ish (500-1k per piece) and there are some good suggestions in the thread so far. The #1 item to get imo is a Staff of Battle 31/37 which will do pretty solid dps (and therefore hold aggro pretty well) until L40-45 or so.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Aviak

You lose a shitload of stats as iksar, on top of what you've sacrificed simply by being an iksar. You lose the 50 hp on planar gloves, the awesome stats on cobalt bp/legs, even some incarnadine pieces have good stats. It's a lot worse than any other race, and probably also rather boring to know that the best gear you can get is what others would throw away. With poor natural stats and virtually no stats from armor, you're gonna have a bad time.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

I just posted numbers on exactly how much worse an Iksar warrior is. Obviously it's not the min/max choice, but it's not like they are rangers either. Sakuragi tanked Emperor Chottal successfully at 53, and tanks chef/bar just fine at 56.

Plus Ogres are ugly as hell. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-07-2012, 06:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deverell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You lose a shitload of stats as iksar, on top of what you've sacrificed simply by being an iksar. You lose the 50 hp on planar gloves, the awesome stats on cobalt bp/legs, even some incarnadine pieces have good stats. It's a lot worse than any other race, and probably also rather boring to know that the best gear you can get is what others would throw away. With poor natural stats and virtually no stats from armor, you're gonna have a bad time.
My iksar warrior reaches 255 sta/agi/dex buffed without cobalt, so getting the stats up there isn't really dependent on having that cobalt or Indocolite. It certainly might make it easier though.

The AC loss is not as game breaking as people are saying it is, if I compared myself to a tank in cobalt that isn't stacking AC with a shield/dagas and maybe a few other pieces, I end up being about 80 ac less (1070ish vs 1150ish), and I can close that margin if necessary without sacrificing HP. My hitpoints are quite similar to non-iksar tanks as well. The 50HP on the hands are nice, but its pretty much one of the only items that other warriors can wear that gives such a bonus for HP, and in being an Iksar you can end up using a few items that other warriors wouldn't use to close that 50 gap. Tank everything that has come my way just fine, including bosses.

Iksars do not make bad tanks now, and they only get better. Right now the worst thing you might lose is being able to click the invisibility on the cobalt legs =p

To answer the original question, stack STA if you are going Iksar. Even without epics you can get 215+ dex buffed no problem.
Serilis - 60 Wizard
Decisive - 60 Bard
Winsloe - 60 Rogue
Zaggasauarus - 27 Necro
Last edited by bizzum; 05-07-2012 at 06:27 AM..
Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My iksar warrior reaches 255 sta/agi/dex buffed without cobalt, so getting the stats up there isn't really dependent on having that cobalt or Indocolite. It certainly might make it easier though.

The AC loss is not as game breaking as people are saying it is, if I compared myself to a tank in cobalt that isn't stacking AC with a shield/dagas and maybe a few other pieces, I end up being about 80 ac less (1070ish vs 1150ish), and I can close that margin if necessary without sacrificing HP. My hitpoints are quite similar to non-iksar tanks as well. The 50HP on the hands are nice, but its pretty much one of the only items that other warriors can wear that gives such a bonus for HP, and in being an Iksar you can end up using a few items that other warriors wouldn't use to close that 50 gap. Tank everything that has come my way just fine, including bosses.

Iksars do not make bad tanks now, and they only get better. Right now the worst thing you might lose is being able to click the invisibility on the cobalt legs =p

To answer the original question, stack STA if you are going Iksar. Even without epics you can get 215+ dex buffed no problem.
So there is hope, Lol.. Jk

I'm lvl 40 now, and younger warrior hatchlings are asking me for advice.. I've just told them what you all have told me.

What to Prioritize such as hp,ac,sta,dex .. always search for good proccing/aggro weapons and dps weapons.

Lately I've been coming across many twinked out large (ogre/troll/barb) tanks, I usually compare ac/hp and if they surpass me I switch to Staff of Battle or some other dual wield dps combination.

I've had so much fun so far on this journey, albeit I've died countless times.. It is one of the best times I'm having [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] truthfully ~
Closed Thread