Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It seems a little unstructured and chaotic, which is why most people don't play on free servers. A plan and an official policy would go a long way in convincing the public that this project is a serious undertaking that will be reliable. I'll personally try to recruit more nice players from old EQ.
One thing that you have to understand is that these developers are not being paid. They don't need to listen to criticism on their progress. This is actually a good thing because unlike companies that are making money they will not push something that isn't ready. They have a vision of what they want and they will do it right.

Customers urging companies like Sony to push something out faster or threatening to go to the next mmorpg is one of the big problems with pay to play mmorpgs today. It forces the company to use effort on satisfying the public that don't even know what they really want instead of staying true to their initial vision.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoNipple [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One thing that you have to understand is that these developers are not being paid. They don't need to listen to criticism on their progress. This is actually a good thing because unlike companies that are making money they will not push something that isn't ready. They have a vision of what they want and they will do it right.

Customers urging companies like Sony to push something out faster or threatening to go to the next mmorpg is one of the big problems with pay to play mmorpgs today. It forces the company to use effort on satisfying the public that don't even know what they really want instead of staying true to their initial vision.
This.

You said it much more diplomatically than I ever could [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Aviak

This is not really criticism on progress, it's just a request for information on how things are moving along, and an inquiry into what they might need help with. There are some things that could be improved, I'm sure, and possibly there could be a way to fund server costs for when EQ Live goes down and the influx of players will increase. After all, the big attraction here is not really that it's free. It's just that it's EQ as we remember it from the start.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

It sounds like there's plenty of work to be had if you want to fix Kunark quests!!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It seems a little unstructured and chaotic, which is why most people don't play on free servers. A plan and an official policy would go a long way in convincing the public that this project is a serious undertaking that will be reliable. I'll personally try to recruit more nice players from old EQ.
I don't think it's unstructured and chaotic, the devs are doing an excellent job but in ALL things the schedule is "When the devs are able to get it done (having RL to contend with)."

The difference on this server is probably that they're smart enough not to commit to timelines and put out a shitty product on an arbitrary date that Marketing set...

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

My meme was funnier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Kobold

Quote:
This is not really criticism on progress, it's just a request for information on how things are moving along, and an inquiry into what they might need help with. There are some things that could be improved, I'm sure, and possibly there could be a way to fund server costs for when EQ Live goes down and the influx of players will increase. After all, the big attraction here is not really that it's free. It's just that it's EQ as we remember it from the start.
Are you even looking at the same website that I am? They patch every week or two, tell you exactly what they did, and provide information when something important (from a technical standpoint) is going to change. Devs are constantly posting in the Bug forum on specific issues that will be changed in the upcoming patch.

Check yourself, man.
Closed Thread