Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:11 AM
Aviak

Default Taunt?

So what is the deal with taunt? I do not remember it being so crappy as a tank to keep agro. Tonight i was grouping with my friends in Unrest on my war and I would tank the mob to 85 percent and by time the mob got to 50 my rogue friend would pull agro. Am I doing something wrong? Skill is maxed out and I am 2 lvl higher than the rogue.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Kobold

Warriors are what they wear. You need to DW one-handers that each have a proc, and try to have decent dex. Obsidian shards are pretty good for leveling up to 37, then ssoy's are good. On top of this you need to be more efficient with your taunts.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Planar Protector

You should only use taunt if you loose aggro, then follow up with kick, or bash or slam to add to it. All taunt does is put you at top of the hate list but you then need to increase the gap or else the person you just out aggroed will regain it.

Also, the problem could be the people you are playing with...
The rest of the team should be watching their own aggro in the interest of maintaining the healer's mana pool.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Fire Giant

It's pretty horrible. When I'm playing cleric I prefer not to have a warrior tanking, which sounds dumb since that's their primary function.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Orc

Default just as it was...

Taunt in the early days was never a hate-building skill. It was to immediately pull the target back around to you if you lost it.

If you have aggro, don't bother hitting taunt. If you lose it, then use it. You WILL fail most of the time regardless.

The taunt issue is why most in classic did not choose warriors when looking to fill a group. Sure, if no Pal/Sk was available, they'd take the warrior, but it was never a first choice as they have no other utility to try to maintain aggro (such as heals, stuns, DoT, snares, fear...)

It's also the reason why people eventually began to learn to let warriors engage and damage the mobs a bit before everyone goes all-out. Healers getting squirrely, wizzies overnuking, and shm/enc slows too early used to be huge reasons for ping-ponging targets.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Wait 5 seconds before you attack if your not the tank and it helps warriors a ton. If you get aggro stop attacking. Root if you can helps also. Some spells are much higher aggro also. People sit too close to the mobs and get aggro too all of which suck for a warrior to deal with.
Last edited by Cscott; 03-02-2010 at 12:08 PM..
Old 03-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Kobold

"Don't engage till 95%!!!"

This rule used to be barked a lot on raids I did in live.

It equated to allowing the warrior at least 45 minutes to gain aggro. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Fire Giant

Yeah that's great and all, but sometimes a warrior pulls several mobs and he comes back to the camp at 35% health. With a SK/Pally I can heal and rely on them to quickly regain aggro. With a warrior I may as well be trading his life for mine.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah that's great and all, but sometimes a warrior pulls several mobs and he comes back to the camp at 35% health. With a SK/Pally I can heal and rely on them to quickly regain aggro. With a warrior I may as well be trading his life for mine.
Then he should be pulling with a bow not prox aggro. or have someone else pull and teh war tags on inc. Thats what works best. Even If the puller is 50% health he hasnt done much damage to any mobs inc so a war should be able to pull them off fast.

The healers then hold off on healing the puller to avoid heal aggro.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Classically, taunt was a threat builder not a snap aggro. Snap aggro did not come about until AE taunt was added as an AA skill in Luclin. Around pop is when taunt was changed to top +1 the hate chart.

Remember, fast in MH, ratio in OH and procs procs procs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Closed Thread