Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Planar Protector

It's important to remember that it really, really helps to be proactive in forming groups on P99. Few players have the initiative (or want the headache) of forming the group and constantly finding replacements. Fewer still have knowledge inside these zones so that they can actually traverse and pull them safely.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Kobold

Keep getting info on p99 here on the forums, it's a great game and the devs do it all for free.

Yeah there are bugs but it's a emulated server so it happens.

As far as soloing goes, I play a necro which is a solo class but grps are ALWAYS there. Server pop is 1000+ at peak times and still 300+ at like 3 am.

This game is difficult. it's not like other mmo these days, consider vanilla wow only less hand holding and more pain(sometimes).

I would try it but don't just try it to lvl 5 and quit keep going it can be really fun and I have had a great experience so far, and like others have said it's NOT a race. Lvl 60 will not come quick. My char is 4 years old and I'm 53, gear is not important like other mmos.

If you play hmu in game I'm Sliren.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Kobold

If anything you're gonna be spending more time alone in-game if you play Live instead of P99
Old 05-13-2014, 02:22 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As much as I might want to give EQ1 a shot, and think it might be a genuinely better experience for what I'm looking for... I don't think it would be worth it if I have to solo everything. Regardless of how much better of a game it is, that defeats the entire purpose of an MMO - and I'd rather stick with EQ2 if that were the case, as finding a guild/group to go through the content with is easy there.

So I guess that gives me a little addendum to my original question - will I be able to find assistance or a group for anything in p99? Will I be able to on the live EQF2P servers? Or both, or neither?
I started playing EQ in Planes of Power era (that's like 12 years ago). I moved to WoW and other different games as well after the bad xpacs on EQ.I just recently started playing here on P1999 and so far Im having a really good time.

Everquest will be brutal compared to any games you played. Here is some advices/inputs about the game, what you must be prepared to deal with.

----------
Be smart - THINK about what your are doing, make LOGIC CHOICES.

Everquest is quite a big world. There is no graveyard like in WoW in each zone where you will respawn after death. You will respawn at your binding point which could be 15 zones away if you "forgot" to bind yourself closer to your hunting area.

In some areas, mobs are very "social". It doesn't work like WoW where if you run far enough ,they will stop chasing you. Mobs will follow you to the zoneline. So its important that you try to get single mobs when you pull and kill them in a secure location.

P1999 is not a cross server experience like WoW where you get to meet new asssholes and noobcakes everyday through the LFG/PVP system and never see them again. Your reputation here MATTERS. Be nice with other people, be patient. Everquest is a very slow paced game compared to WoW. You have plenty of time to be nice and polite. It will pay off eventually, you will make new friends, build a strong reputation that will get you into groups.

You will have to ask people in random zones if they have room in groups. Going LFG means you put the LFG tag on, advertise in your zone that you are LFG, seek other people LFG in the same lvl range. This is not a quick process. The game is called EVERQUEST. Its not a game where you can go LFG, jump in a group and get half your xp bar in 20min. Be ready to put the time if you want lvl. That process takes hours.

The game is brutal compared to other MMO. While WoW was a nice fresh system when it came out, they dumbed it down so much for casuals that the skill and effort doesn't matter anymore. You can outgear anything. Here, good luck having a tank chain pulling when healer is oom. It could take you HOURS to recover your corpse and Im not kidding.

Its a game of cooperation and respect. Not all classes have a heal or tanking abilities. So you will have to work with others. There is no "lets AoE everything". You actually have to assist your tank and kill specific targets. Its very good for coordination and to gain focus.

If you have time and hours to put into a game, Everquest is a great challenge, you will make new friends that will probably follow you beyond this realm. Its not a game about content as much as social interaction. Interaction that you will want to come back to. Lvling new alts with the same group of friends and live new adventures. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Large Rat

Pssst..../whisper Someone tell him about teh hell levels.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Large Rat

I'm quite aware of the hell levels, and the XP penalties and such.

Luckily one of the guys in my gaming group has been an EQ1 gamer for a long time, and even has a couple characters here on P99. I even managed to talk him into reinstalling it to show me the ropes and duo up with me.

However, he did end up talking me into playing my favorite race/class combo despite the massive XP penalty; a Troll SK.

Also to Varsha, everything that you mentioned - other than mobs following you all the way to the zone line - was in EQOA. I'm surprised that everyone here seems so down on the game.
Last edited by Starwind; 05-13-2014 at 05:11 PM..
Old 05-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Large Rat

So I don't make an entirely new thread, if anyone could help I'm having a bit of technical issue with the install, and can't seem to find any help anywhere on the forums or wiki.

I "acquired" EQ titanium, the deamon tool, got it installed, then removed the files listed on the P99 guidebook, as well as unpacked the P99 files into the directory.

Now at that point, running the Launch Titanium .bat tries to run it, then I get a windows error saying "eqgame does not exist." Running the eqgame.exe (which does exist) just gives a Project 1999 window telling me to delete wsock32.dll and eqgame.dll, which don't exist. So I'm a bit stuck...
Old 05-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Aviak

Did you add "patchme" to the end of your .exe shortcut? Most common cause of problems involving never getting into the game.

If you ran the patcher at any point prior to the above you should probably just re install, preferable to do so direct to drive. Just FYI the forums have a Technical Support section, with some very comprehensive FAQ style posts and a slew of experience to draw upon. A search there might be beneficial.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:40 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you add "patchme" to the end of your .exe shortcut? Most common cause of problems involving never getting into the game.

If you ran the patcher at any point prior to the above you should probably just re install, preferable to do so direct to drive. Just FYI the forums have a Technical Support section, with some very comprehensive FAQ style posts and a slew of experience to draw upon. A search there might be beneficial.
I didn't see anywhere in the instructions to add that. Or are you saying I shouldn't have? In which case, no, I didn't.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:47 PM
Fire Giant

You definitely should have added "patchme" . If you ran the game without the patchme addition, Leezard is correct and you will need a reinstall
Closed Thread