Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Aviak

Default Archery questions

Ok so I was duoing with my brothers cleric last night in Oasis, on my warrior,
yes i know this is not warrior section but its a general melee/ranger thing I'm wondering

I was pulling with my Runed Oak Bow, using self fletched arrows (med nock, wood shaft, field point tips, large fletchings) and two things happened..

First, I was able to score damage on Crypt Mummies and Ghouls on my pulls..
Now I must admit it has been some time now since I had a low level char without magic weapons, BUT I'm pretty certain that they require magic weps to hit? If this is the case.... I was fairly certain the arrows must be magic also...

Second, as a wounded deepwater wandered off while I was dodging a Sand Giant, I managed to get a shot off and got a Crippling Blow with my bow.. and from what I remember rangers were the only ones to get bow crits?\

I did some searches and perused the bug forums but didn't come up w/ much, I was wondering.... Is this correct? Do I just remember incorrectly? Or should I submit a bug report... I'm loathe to do so until I feel certain it is warranted. Thank you for your time....
Old 03-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Aviak

You're correct on both the mummy and ghoul requiring magic weapons and that the arrows need to be magic. I'm guessing that the magic weapon check was done against the bow and not the arrows for some reason. if you have access to a normal bow, try swapping them out and seeing if you get the same results (you do damage) or if the non-magic bow yields the expected results (invulnerable).

You landed a crippling blow with your bow, not a critical hit. I've never played a warrior, but I surmise therein lies the difference.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobbon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You landed a crippling blow with your bow, not a critical hit. I've never played a warrior, but I surmise therein lies the difference.
Crippling blows are critical hits when a warrior is under 25-30% health and goes into his berserk frenzy, and doesn't leave it until 45% or so. I tend to stay down there for DPS if the mobs are not tearing me apart. So Crippling blow = Critical hit for all intents and purposes, afaik.

I agree, it must be checking against my bow atm, and I did get my handmade hickory bow out of the bank and bang a couple sticks into a ghould in EC last night at the tunnel. Mob was invulnerable, as was air elementals (trains to tunnel ent lol)

I guess having never played a ranger, and only bow pulling on live with my warrior, I have a very vague recollection of how archery mechanics work. I do remember I was probably the only master fletcher in the guild, and spent hours making silver tipped arrows for guildies.

Thank you for your response [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Gonna do a little more digging in bug forums, if i can't find anything I will submit a report (forgot to check resolved area last time, although I assume search covers all sub forums)
Closed Thread