Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Kobold

Default Why Wizards Are So Bad?

Thread!

I just rolled one a few hours ago. Excited as i hit the level 4 thinking i would get some uber DD, i realize that my mage/enchanter hits for the same damage, but they do have pets that can tank. Logic?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Fire Giant

They are kings on Red 99. Come on over and live in wizard glory.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Planar Protector

Wiz spells are second to none later and will be good for raids in Velious. That said, back in 1999 people didn't play with the same meta game we do today. People would regularly fight mobs that were higher level than the group, taking more damage, requiring more healing and having more downtime from the cleric, so the downtime for a wiz to med wasn't seen as a detriment because it allowed them to kill those reds easier.

As time has moved on people have realized killing 5 mobs for 5000xp each is significantly better than killing 2 mobs for 9000 experience each and have moved to a sustained DPS model that just doesn't work with the burst of wizards.

Same thing happened in FFXI, people loved having black mages in their groups to magic burst for max-xp kills against incredibly tough mobs(200xp). Then the meta changed to burning 80-120 xp mobs at a much faster rate and black mage fell out of favor because they were burst dps.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Last edited by baalzy; 05-09-2014 at 12:13 PM..
Old 05-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Banned

yeh u should be soloing half a dozen dragons at a time by level 4
are you doing it wrong perhaps?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

Because Verant.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

Gets better 10+ p sure, also you get ports and never have to worry about nerfing your xp with a pet like a mage does [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Wizards are fine the problem is their Nukes during this era dont have the ooomph that they should since their class is based around dropping big f-ing bombs

Later in EQ this gets fixed with Manaburn etc but for now they are basically gimped druids that cant heal

( yea I said it )
Old 05-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Kobold

I just expected something better from wizard, but i don't see its acceptable you burn half of your mana pool to kill a dark blue con. I attempted to solo a white con, and i had to root/flee cause just he doesn't have enough sustained damage without a pet. This class logic i don't get it.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

Crit nukes were basically what fixed the class imo.

Wouldn't call em gimp druids tho since druids are gimped wizards/clerics/shamans.

Most every class sucks until a certain point, only a select really have their gimmick going pre-teens. Like shaman sucks hardcore until their 24 poison dot.
Last edited by Brut; 05-09-2014 at 12:20 PM..
Old 05-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Kobold

Seems like people are forgetting that this is not a balanced game whatsoever. This is the first, experimental iteration of modern MMORPG's . . . Verant didn't know what they were doing when they designed half this shit. And yet we still got something very good overall.

Only hope for a game like EQ with balanced, interesting specialized classes is to have some independent developer make a new one. Otherwise, just have to deal that it's not balanced and that certain classes like Wizards are going to suck.
Closed Thread