Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Planar Protector

Default DPS warrior viable?

Hey hey, not much warrior experience here and I'm wondering if this is an option.

Just made what I hope to be a DPS warrior (Pref dps but I have have tank set too, also playing for FUN)

With my str gear I hit about 230-240, I'm not sure on warrior but on my rogue with this kind of str I was hitting for up to 46, commonly 33-36 pre lvl 20 dmg caps. Wondering if I can expect the same on the warrior?

I would ideally like to grp with hybrid tanks for spell agro and drop myself down to 35-40% hp for berserker status.

I have haste belt, wurmslayer and that other big pole-arm, forgot the name but its 17/39 I think. Also have staff of battle. Dual lamentations because I read something about hate per swing, hoping two fast weapons would work for agro if I have to tank. I have some proc weapons too but aggro generation is not my primary concern, I'm about landing those big hits and looking good doin it.

Am I better off going two hander? I really pref the dual wield look and picked up some nice dmg weapons for it, and I just don't really like swinging a big old staff, it just feels slow. My question here stems from my question about that 240+ str at low levels, I was hitting harder than most people I saw using two hand weapons with a one hand 10/25.

If ya have any experience in dps warrior mode please feel free to chime in.

I understand that the rogue is top melee dps. I'm rolling the warrior because I want to be able to break out my tank set when needed but also be able to tear it up on the dmg if the only grp in my area already has a tank.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Warrior DPS is legit, especially if you can manage berserk without dying. It just is the expectation that a warrior is usually the tank, but there's no reason you can't DPS as a warrior when you aren't forced into a tank role by necessity.

Until 30 (or very close to it), dual wielding will probably be better than a staff of battle. From 30-50ish, staff of battle is probably (just going on gut having player other melee before, but not really paying close attention or having played a warrior specifically) going to be better than DW. But once you're 50+, I've heard (Splorf) that DW is the way to go for threat AND for damage.

If you are DPSing and do not want aggro, you'll definitely want to be wielding the slowest stuff you can find without sacrificing weapon ratio too much. I'd think staff of battle would be less aggro over time, but you'll get big aggro spikes with it when you land some crazy double attack crips and whatnot. Two lamentations should be pretty solid aggro even without procs; still not enough to keep aggro off of epic monks or rogues or overzealous casters though.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 06-05-2014 at 12:24 PM..
Old 06-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

Well; you should be pretty indestructible since your lvl 1 warrior has better gear than me at lv50. LOL

I don't know about the DMG thing U ask tho but I doubt it'd make a heckuva lot of difference unless you're above all Damage cap levels .... which are ?

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Damage
http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Damage
^couple links to discussions on STR & more

If you ever need me to warm up that haste item or make sure it works properly send me a /tell =P
Old 06-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

Zerking is OP. Those double 400+ crips at 30 are devastating for an enemy with just shy of 1khp.

The onl downfall is that, as an ogre you have less Dex which means less crits/crips. It's not a huge difference but it's there.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 06-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

Oh, I went Barb haha role playing game =D
Old 06-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Planar Protector

Thanks for the info whirled I'll keep ya in mind for that haste item when I move back to red this winter.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Planar Protector

Hey thanks!
=D
see, even a maybe is enough to make a person smile.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fame [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh, I went Barb haha role playing game =D
Derp.

I can feel your manliness through my phone

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 06-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Warrior DPS is legit, especially if you can manage berserk without dying. It just is the expectation that a warrior is usually the tank, but there's no reason you can't DPS as a warrior when you aren't forced into a tank role by necessity.

Until 30 (or very close to it), dual wielding will probably be better than a staff of battle. From 30-50ish, staff of battle is probably (just going on gut having player other melee before, but not really paying close attention or having played a warrior specifically) going to be better than DW. But once you're 50+, I've heard (Splorf) that DW is the way to go for threat AND for damage.

If you are DPSing and do not want aggro, you'll definitely want to be wielding the slowest stuff you can find without sacrificing weapon ratio too much. I'd think staff of battle would be less aggro over time, but you'll get big aggro spikes with it when you land some crazy double attack crips and whatnot. Two lamentations should be pretty solid aggro even without procs; still not enough to keep aggro off of epic monks or rogues or overzealous casters though.
Actual melee damage done doesn't affect agro (or at any rate it didn't on live), melee agro is (was) calculated on a per swing basis separately from resolving hits/crits/crips/damage.

Two handers have a negative agro modifier, a two hander will get less agro than a dual-wield combo that has the same damage output. In general, avoid weapons with stun and DoT procs if you don't want agro, but straight dd procs don't add much.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Fire Giant

For leveling I would argue that gearing for DPS is actually the route most people should take. You're going to find yourself in very few situations were a couple hundred HP is really going to matter when grinding, and the faster you can kill mobs the faster you can level. I wouldn't pigeon hole yourself as strictly a DPS warrior though - play to all your strengths. By this I mean, if you've got a knight or some other class that can take, throw on that 2hander and drop down to zerker range and go wild, however, if you're far and away the best player in a group to be tanking, you can still do that while geared to DPS.

In terms of gearing yourself, I haven't done any parses, but I'd wager that your wurmmy is going to be quite a bit less damage than faster weapons under normal circumstances (again, I haven't parsed a wurmy, and zerker could affect that as well). For a cheap-ish DPS weapon for a warrior I feel it is kind of hard to beat a Lammy in the main hand, and then the best ratio weapon you can afford in the off hand. Thinking back to live I always thought dual lammy's looked pretty cool though, can you can probably pick a pair up for <5k that will be respectable damage.

In the higher levels, warrior do excellent damage. My warrior is only rocking an RBB (5-10% less than what he probably should be wearing) with epic and is often fairly high up on parses. On average monks and rogues are still going out DPS you, but it isn't uncommon at all for me to out DPS rogues who get unlucky with their backstab dice or lazy monks. With epics the 1handers do more damage than the 2hander when you're not zerking, but that probably isn't something you're gonna have to worry about in the immediate future.

Also, even if you go strictly DPS warrior, don't use offensive discs. They're garbage outside of highly situational instances.
Closed Thread