Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 02:02 PM
Large Rat

Default Typical port donation amount?

I have never been ported anywhere before and was wondering how much is the "polite" amount to donate for a port?

I imagine it sort of depends on the traveller's level. (A level 50 pc can usually afford far more than a level 1), but on average...how much?
Old 06-13-2015, 02:12 PM
Sarnak

Old 06-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

If you're new 10-20 is fine...if you have a char 40+ 50p is typical...on red server i have no idea
Old 06-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Kobold

10 - 20....gold? cause if i spent 10 - 20pp on each port i'd be negative. right now at lvl 19 i only have 60pp. I normally give about 4-5pp. I let them know beforehand how much i can spare and if they take it great, if not I'll check someone else.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

Anyone telling you over 30 is "typical" is trying to set a precedent and gouge you.

Anyone telling you that you should pay 1p/level is trying to set a precedent and gouge you.

30p, tops. 100p for evacs.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:33 PM
Fire Giant

40-50p is what I go with

Blue
: Seniksin | Jarshale
Red: Sieg | Cazissa
Old 06-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Orc

Honestly, just pay whatever you think is fair. Sure, if you're new and don't have any plat to spare (them spells and weapons are expensive yo) just be up front. Personally, I love helping newbies out and would gladly go out of my way to help.

Sure, if I port a player who is twinked/epiced and they pay 5p, it sucks, but that's 5 more plat I didn't have before, and all I did was click a button. The 50-100p payments I get more than make up for it.

Plus, it's a game. I personally try not to get bent out of shape over things like this.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Tip what you can afford. I wouldn't go over 10% of what's in your bank, especially if you have <100pp.

Of course, if the porter has to run through more than 3 zones (especially dangerous zones) to get to you...might want to ask them what they want from you. Or relocate yourself a bit closer. But never let them clean out your bank account.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 06-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang89 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
10 - 20....gold? cause if i spent 10 - 20pp on each port i'd be negative. right now at lvl 19 i only have 60pp. I normally give about 4-5pp. I let them know beforehand how much i can spare and if they take it great, if not I'll check someone else.
You don't have to give them anything. Give em 1 plat and they'll probably tell you to keep it, people are pretty understanding if you get a port and can't really afford to donate much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone telling you over 30 is "typical" is trying to set a precedent and gouge you.

Anyone telling you that you should pay 1p/level is trying to set a precedent and gouge you.

30p, tops. 100p for evacs.
Right... because people are trying to gouge prices on ports to earn plat on this server by saying that 50p is standard[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. Most people who are offering port for plat services are relatively new and trying to build up a decent base of plat, so help em out. But remember why you're getting a port in the first place, because you don't want to have to waste your time. Is not wasting 30 mins or 2 hours running somewhere worth less than 50 plat to you? For me it sure isn't. If you're a newb and can't afford it thats fine, but many porters won't even flinch when they see "WTB Port to XYZ" unless there are 3 digits, cause it's simply not worth their time cause they have shit to do in game too.

If you're a server vet and expect people to port your iksar monk wherever you want for change that you would have deleted anyway because its too heavy, well you may find you'll have a hard time getting a port.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:24 PM
Large Bat

I started in feb and my main is a porting class; not a member of dial a port. Here are what I have noticed as some rules of thumb:

1. Most of the time, the guy isnt charging you much for the port. Hes charging you to go pick you up, or wait on you to come to him. He could be making money or EXP during that time. He is a taxi and the meter is running. Be at the druid rings or wiz spires and a port will always come to you in short order.
2. If you are new to the server, you should flat out tell the person porting you that you are new and that you cant pay. *If* you make it easier on him/her by going to the rings/spires and let them come to you between ports, youll probably get a port for free. I do not accept 2pp-type tips from players, if they cant afford to pay more than that, I'd rather just port them for free.
3. If you are in an uber guild, you are being judged differently (fair or not), because everyone knows you can afford to pay to be taken somewhere, and also because you certainly have numerous guildmembers capable of porting you.
4. Evacs cost more. There is an element of risk in evacing you to SF/EJ not present in going to WC and the porter even at level 50+ can easily die if you have all your porting spells up or failed to get sowed.
5. I always take the guy who tips the most, or has tipped well in the past, to their location first, regardless of who arrives first. If you're gonna tip well tip up front, because you get what you pay for and I want to take care of the customers who take care of me.

As far as "standard" tip, I have never kept a chart (although I think that would be some interesting reading) but I would say that the average I get is about 35pp. I am rarely offered a tip less than 20pp, and frankly any less than 20 isnt worth my time unless I was already headed to that area anyway. Tips of 25/30/40 are the most common, followed by 50. For Evac to EJ, double it, I probably get a 60-80 average.

Approximately 5% of people will run right off without even thanking you, so be prepared for that.
Closed Thread