Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

Default Hate Generation Value from Staff of Temperate Flux?

So I've seen a lot of threads with breakdowns of hate generated by certain procs. Anyone have an exact number for hate generation from one click of this staff?
Old 12-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Fire Giant

i dont know a specific number but its so low that a single melee hit from anybody will draw agro away from you. i will pull with flux staff and have a melee intercept the mob with a single melee attack and the agro will snap to them (pet as well). the hate number is probably 1.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

There is no way that the hate value is as low as one. I would think something like 50 at least. If the hate value were one I would literally have to click the staff hundreds of times to hold aggro over someone meleeing. As it is I can draw aggro away from pretty much anyone just by clicking the staff, and I can aggro kite with a melee partner and click the staff probably 10-15 times and hold aggro for most of the fight (at least I could around level 51, haven't done it since then.)
Old 12-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Fire Giant

hm idk what the number is but its damn low =) its tough to hold agro with flux staff when people start meleeing, you have to stun to do that. once other people start hitting i dont even bother fluxing to peel agro away i stun, ive spammed flux staff a shitload and its damn near impossible to peel agro with just the flux staff when a group is on a mob.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Planar Protector

Wizard/Rogue is a fairly popular combo because of agro kiting and usually I see them just spamming flux staff. Do most of them cast a stun after the snare before spamming or is snare+Flux strong enough to hold agro?

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 12-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Just snare + staff
Old 12-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Planar Protector

Well I just did a brief test with a Necro. Cast chill bones on a sarnak berzerker, I was able to pull aggro away with 2 staff clicks. Not sure what this means. Sorry it wasn't more extensive...maybe later.

FWIW the few times I grouped in seb I would use the staff to pull aggro off mobs that broke charm or aggroed clerics on heals, was pretty damn quick to pull them off.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Fire Giant

The staff seems to work differently here than live (though all spell hate seems to be >>> melee hate here). On live the staff is an awesome pulling tool but I could spam as fast as I could click and I'd never pull aggro off others doing any damage.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velerin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The staff seems to work differently here than live (though all spell hate seems to be >>> melee hate here). On live the staff is an awesome pulling tool but I could spam as fast as I could click and I'd never pull aggro off others doing any damage.
I personally don't remember how much it taunted on live. A quick google search however revealed many posts from around 2001 where wizards claim it is a great taunt item.

Also found a post that said it was usable by non-wizards until sometime in 2001, but can't always rely on these posts as solid evidence. Even if it was "classic" for non-wizards to be able to use this item, I can only imagine how game breaking it would be on this server.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:16 AM
Fire Giant

Flux staff (and arrow/thrown item) has a smaller agro radius than a spell or facepull - I know multiple specific mobs in certain zones that can be pulled without other mob agro by flux staff but facepulling you will catch other mob agro. The elemental debuff is not for nothing either, its worth using it on every mob you are going to cast elemental nuke on even at lvl 60

I would have to test using flux staff to pull agro off a broken charm - i always cast tishan's discord/clash when someone's pet breaks so they have time to re-charm it without getting completely plowed by a weaponized, hasted pet. next time someone's pet breaks i'll spam flux staff and see how long it takes (and I'll have to let them know im testing flux staff agro so they don't get pissed at me) Also if a mob happens to start attacking the cleric or someone else sitting in camp i'll agro with stun to give the party member time to get away and I can deal with the mob until someone comes to tank it.

Flux staff is really for pulling and tagging (and is an incredible item for that) Its not that great at taunting/getting agro if a group is beating on a mob. If anyone in your group is getting hit or a charm breaks you should definitely use Tishan's (both clash and discord should be in your spell bar :P)
Closed Thread