Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
then take it to bug forum and post all your proof and data.
There's no 1999 era server in existence on P99 right now, and no official announcement of what the new server will have exactly, so therefore these things can not be posted in the Bug forum right now. The devs read other sections of the forum, however.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:08 PM
Planar Protector

One or two guys crying that they cant KS or train people here isnt going to get any rules changed here but nice rant(s)
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One or two guys crying that they cant KS or train people here isnt going to get any rules changed here but nice rant(s)
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You don't understand the subject, nor the history of the game. P99 explicitly states they are trying to recreate the game, as it existed back then. Try again (actually, don't, as it wastes forum space).
Last edited by Zuranthium; 08-13-2019 at 07:17 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 PM
Planar Protector

The pnp argument is very silly, but I'd definitely like to see a "no rules" version of p99.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Man, the eye roller deserves the eye rolls here! The people behind Project 199 are very explicitly NOT trying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
to recreate the game, as it existed back then
... and there is a wealth of evidence demonstrating as much.

From FTE announcements to OOT boat directions to (not) crossing Siren's Grotto via a glitch, this server is full of things which are intentionally not the way they were back in '99-'01.

In general of course R&N do try to make most things like they were "back in the day", but time after time they've demonstrated that when it comes to making things work on Project 1999 they're not wiling to diverge from. (And again, it's 100% unavoidable that P99 and live will be apples and oranges on some things, due to factors like increased player knowledge, so anyone in R&N's shoes would have the same issues).

In your denial/fantasy world maybe Rogean and Nilbog want to create exactly what existed back then, including the lack of a PnP. But in reality no one but you feels that way.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 08-13-2019 at 07:34 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The pnp argument is very silly
...how is it silly. It's classic game code. Directly stated by the game devs. We have more concrete evidence on this than a lot of other code areas, like the exact formulas for how resists and AC worked back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The people behind Project 199 are very explicitly NOT trying to recreate the game as it existed back then
Yes they are. Stop being so daft. It exactly says that on the website's homepage, and constant effort has been made to recreate exact code details. They've strayed at times, but hardcore maintained the mantra wherever feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But in reality no one but you feels that way.
Total fallacy.
Last edited by Zuranthium; 08-13-2019 at 07:34 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 07:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
They've strayed at times, but hardcore maintained the mantra wherever feasible.
Translation: I like to ignore things that don't fit my argument. It makes it a lot easier to hold to my impossible argument that way.

(And also I'll ignore the giant glaring hole that R&N have clearly not found it feasible, even though doing so would have greatly lowered their need for volunteer CSRs.)

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:37 PM
Aviak

You can go experience your anarchist paradise on live Everquest servers right now and repeatedly get your shit pushed in by a boxed mage army, or some ae groups puller running the entire zone over the top of you and your pals trying to mind your business killing frogs or dogmen so you don't slow down their rmt business. Some of the end-game raid zones might benefit by going non-csr, freeing up the limited human resources we have. But forcing noob players wearing cloth armor and a club* to dps race super twinks at orc 1 is a really stupid idea.
9 Erudite Magician - Adisa
Old 08-13-2019, 08:10 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I think I see your argument Zur...

I could see how someone would want players on the green server to behave more the way they did on live... and how these PnP changes you pitch could create that.

Like, the PnP on blue may be fine, but perhaps to re-create the way we felt back in 1999 what Zur suggests is more ideal? Guides and GM's, even the developers, nobody knew what these types of games would be like, so its true, it was basically the wild west for most players back then, maybe to get that classic feeling Zur has some good points? Although...

Unfortunately... I believe what you ask is not possible due to the physical laws of our universe!

The PnP rules today are designed such that it creates, the overall FEEL of a a classic server, on a server populated with hundreds of players that are playing with the combined knowledge of thousands of adult children who have, data-mined, logged, mapped, and planned out every possible strategy in the game of everquest for over 20 years.

Not to mention p99 players have honed their skills in the first three expansions for almost 10 years using and developing these mostly public strategies (THANKS LORAMIN :P).

The PnP today creates a more simulated version of what YOU experienced in 1999 as a cuckhold beta boy that got railroaded by young adult losers (who have long since died of heart attacks from clogged arteries) that would steal your camp every time you logged on after school.

I know you are trying really really hard, to recreate that ruleset, so you yourself can roleplay as one of those alpha players that pushed you out of every zone, but.. the sad news is... if there was a PnP that allowed for that type of play, you would be kicked out of every zone, by the extremely skilled alpha players of p99 today.

So like I said, what you seek is unfortunately not possible.

Perhaps one day, when we can delve into the multiverse, or maybe after we are dead and ushered through the pearly gates, can we can once again feel what it's like to play everquest having never seen or played anything like it before.

But as mortal men (and women, and whatever you are in between) we are stuck with the best we can simulate, thanks to a PnP that has been developed with the community for going on 10 years.
Last edited by platapus; 08-13-2019 at 08:20 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 08:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Translation: I like to ignore things that don't fit my argument. It makes it a lot easier to hold to my impossible argument that way.
No, that's exactly what you're doing. Get some logic and perspective, seriously. All you're doing is futilely trying to argue against something that was 100% classic, and deeply part of the game (as compared to something more trivial like the direction of OOT boats), just because you don't like the sound of it. Posting that link was such a vacuous attempt at an argument, as most of the "non classic" items are that way specifically because it's impossible for them to code it or manage it as such.

The current raid rules and PnP on P99 would be your best argument, but that also doesn't mean those things can't be changed. It's entirely possible the devs weren't even aware of the specifics of the Classic PnP for a long time. If they were, then maybe they wouldn't have changed the Seafuries as they did, and instead declared the area FFA (a far better and more classic approach).

As has already been discussed, the Classic pre-PnP era requires less GM intervention. Kill stealing simply does not exist, unless it's extreme harassment (stalking someone around everywhere they go and directly trying to interfere with everything they can possibly do). Therefore, GM's don't have to deal with it. The classic era PnP doesn't require any extra time spent either, and is better for the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can go experience your anarchist paradise on live Everquest servers right now and repeatedly get your shit pushed in by a boxed mage army
Current live is hardly classic EQ environment. And there is no boxing allowed on P99 either. And if it did play Live EQ, there would be a multitude of places I could go, away from whatever spot the boxed mage army is playing in.

And, LOL, exact classic era EQ is not even a game I want to play! This is *entirely* about the actual facts of classic EQ, not about the exact server I would create as my ideal possible game. It's irrelevant that I prefer certain aspects of Classic EQ to what they are now. There are also things I don't prefer, yet have to accept, within this realm of discussion. In the end all that matters is accurate history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
forcing noob players wearing cloth armor and a club* to dps race super twinks at orc 1 is a really stupid idea.
Another fallacy, as there's no such thing as supertwinks when a server launches. Beyond that, there's far more places to fight than orc 1. This is a description of players being unadventurous and whining about their own tunnel-vision. Butcherblock and Steamfont are better starting areas than G-Fay, they have naturally lesser populations on top of it, and require very little travel time to reach.