Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Kobold

Default "Porting for donations"...a little selfish?

Now I realize it's common courtesy to tip someone for buffs, revives, and ports. I always tip when I ask for any of these services (what I can afford, anyway), but the point is that it's technically a free service from most people and clients don't HAVE to tip if they don't want to. It's extremely petty and tacky, but they don't have to.

But I've run into a few people now that say things like "Porting for donations, at least 25pp" or "Will buff for tips." which gives the impression that they won't port you or buff you unless you give them a donation, turning a complimentary service into a paid one. I've even seen a few cases where newbies have been turned down for buffs or ports after asking politely for one, and I get the feeling it was because the people they were asking knew that they were broke and likely wouldn't have money for a donation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for tipping someone who spends their time and mana to help you out, I always tip when I can, but when did donations turn into a MANDATORY thing? When did people start acting like "no donation? no port."?
Old 11-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Fire Giant

Donations never were mandatory, some players are just selfish or rolled the class for the express purpose of making money for what they do, so they feel entitled to platinum in their trade window for every click of the mouse.

For the record, I always get ports from people who specifically don't ooc that they are porting for donations, so I can actually donate for their time and mana. A donation isn't a donation if its required to be paid.
Abomination Snowman - 60 Grave Lord
Proud owner of Innoruuk's Curse that did NOT come from TMO's bank or RMT.
Niluvien Forestwalker - 52 Ranger
Russled Jimmies - 54 Wizard
Old 11-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Fire Giant

There is always the boat! It even works and it's FREE!!!
Old 11-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Planar Protector

I agree that it's lame for people to require a donation, but you'd be amazed how many obviously rich, high level players will stiff you or hilariously lowball you on ports with like 5pp or something (with no explanation or apology). It's annoying and kind of insulting. Once that happens a few times to a guy who's expressly porting for money (most likely a relatively new player) I can't blame him for setting a fee.

Basically the cheapskates cause this behavior to emerge by not tipping.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Kobold

I got bitched out the other day because I asked for a port to NK, was KoS at the druid rings so they invis'd me ported without me able to give donation. Afterward they were like so you're not going to pay? They then told me they were tired of griefers and said they would ignore me on all characters they have created even after I said this is a new character will little funds and I'd donate what I could if they meet me outside the druid rings.

Kinda rubbed me the wrong way for sure.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Fire Giant

What about..... "Port Services?"
Old 11-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Planar Protector

Play a port class- once you port a few level 60's around who only tip 5-10p, you'll understand why most porters are permanently anon/roleplay. Required donation of 25p....you're greedy. Or...

Somenooborcheapsk8 tells you "Hi can i get a port and evac to EJ for CR?"
You tell Somenooborcheapsk8 "Sorry I am busy atm."
Somenooborcheapsk8 tells you "WTF man you can't take 1 min of your time to come port me?"
Old 11-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Play a port class- once you port a few level 60's around who only tip 5-10p, you'll understand why most porters are permanently anon/roleplay. Required donation of 25p....you're greedy. Or...

Somenooborcheapsk8 tells you "Hi can i get a port and evac to EJ for CR?"
You tell Somenooborcheapsk8 "Sorry I am busy atm."
Somenooborcheapsk8 tells you "WTF man you can't take 1 min of your time to come port me?"
Okay, most are anon/roleplay, understandable considering how often some of them get pestered for services. But DEMANDING a donation for their services? It's not a donation if it's mandatory, then it's just a fee.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Sarnak

Ya when I'm in the mood to make money on my port whore I say porting for plat, none of this silly donation crap. Normally if someone tries to pay me less then 20pp I cancel the trade because I assume they are too poor and they got the port for free. Never had anyone have an attitude about me being busy. If they did I would drop them in skyfire or tox or somewhere annoying. Bad idea to piss a porter off. That's how you get stuck in Hate.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Sarnak

For me in my history, I would never charge for a port. I accept donations, and state so, however if I'm out soloing and I get a tell, depending on my situation, I may do so for a fee. However that being said, there is one guild I've encountered that no matter what, will never tip, say thank you and always be demanding. I even went out of my way to stop a solo quad to port this person begging me and offering to pay, to get him from Lava, just to get there, port/evac to EJ, for him to just drop group.
Closed Thread