Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 12:00 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The sword pet is severely undervalued on this server. Charm is nice when you have a stable group with a tank that can anchor the mobs for you, but in a rag-tag duo/trio a swordpet-petwall with multiple chanters/pet classes will substantially outperform charming.
This is untrue.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector58 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I for one leave groups if the Enchanter insists on using any pet, wether charmed or illusion. Enchanters at any level only have enough mana to keep dps hasted, and if 29+ Clarity up on casters, while keeping the pulls stacked up waiting for the dps to kill. Folks who say their charmed pet is awesome dps, I agree, but(and it in my opinion is a big but) is that while they are trying to keep their charmed pet charmed, and wasting healers mana on healing them, they do no contribute as much dps to group as they seem to think. If you are a Enchanter in a group and you are full mana, and want to dps, you have nukes and Dots, and if you are not full mana, then med. I played on Live many years ago, and if an enchanter used a charmed pet in groups, they were not welcome, for the same reasons they should not be using charm on P99 servers.
You waited 2 years to make your first forum post and this is what you went with?!

Embarrassing.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:06 PM
Planar Protector

The problem with charming in groups exists between the keyboard and chair. If an enchanter is skilled they can control their pet or make the call to the group to assist with it's demise. It's when an under skilled or lack of experience enchanter charms a pet that things tend to go bad. (enchanter dies and group has to deal with it)
Enchanter is one class you can't play drunk.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycopata666 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My 29 il.lussion hit for 26 and my charm pet hit for 54 and backstap for 144, also my ilussion pet need i intentional recive damage to start engaging, and cant control it for cc wen puller grab alot mobs. I just use ilusion pet for solo ,if i want a relax solo session.
Right on. I'd like to see where the backstab mobs are in Uguk.

Went from 29 to 34 in 1 evening duoing with 2 swordpets in a pet wall in Uguk from the LivesideZL through to all the shore mobs.

Didn't really matter that the sword pet "only" hit for 26 when it was quadding and landing hits more often than a safe-level charmpet. Never had to worry about a charmbreak either. We were literally killing the 14 mobs as fast as they could repop indefinitely.

The other chanter started out charming a mob, but it just kept putting him at unnecessary risk, and it was slowing our killspeed and fucking up the repop every time a charmbreak would create instability in our DPS-rate so he finally just gave up on that shit and joined team petwall. Couple this with the fact that his charmpet wasn't regenning hp as well as the swordpet and the need to go seeking a suitable replacement pet, and you'll begin to have an inkling of a thought in your peanut for why charmpet is unnecessary without a standard group composition.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Went from 29 to 34 in 1 evening duoing with 2 swordpets in a pet wall in Uguk from the LivesideZL through to all the shore mobs.
Lots/most people underestimate how good enchanter summoned pets (animations) are.

2 encs with animations duoing like this poster are a very powerful and FUN combination.

Killing with an animation is at least as fun as with a charmed pet, because you can actually PLAN stuff. With a charmed pet, you will be able to kill stronger targets, but with RNG being a big part of the picture. Some people like to gamble, some people like to have insider info.

I think it's more fun to actually be in control.

There's nothing hard about charming. The finger memory and general EQ IQ required to be a good charming enchanter is not rocket science and anyone with half a chromosome can succeed in this endeavour. There's no glory to be gained by charming stuff. Back in 2000 - sure. But 20 years later, everyone and their aunt charm-duos HS, so come on now.

I leveled an enchanter to level 55 almost exclusively duoing with another enchanter, and we almost always used animations. Great fun, great exp, very little gear needed, almost zero downtime and never spent a minute looking for a group.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Great fun, great exp, very little gear needed, almost zero downtime and never spent a minute looking for a group.
Shhh, they need you to buy their shitty classic era gear like tranix helm for 16x what its worth.

You trying to get suicided with two bullets in the back of the head?
Old 04-12-2020, 06:14 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I got kicked out of a MM group before.

I cast IVU on our enchanter as they wanted to keep one of our camps mob as a pet. The zone was crowded and we were waiting for respawns so all it was going to do was remove one xp mob from our cycle.
I've had to explain this to a lot of people a lot at Pond, particularly. When we're waiting on respawns and you're charming a mob from the camp, for whatever reason, people can't seem to grasp the fact that we're actually losing experience.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:50 PM
Sarnak

The right answers have been stated already. A good chanter can keep a group fully buffed (and use a real haste not Aug. you lazy Bastards) CC, and bring devastating DPS with a charmed pet, which saves the mana of the healer.

If you are competing for mobs and waiting for pops between pulls then charming probably doesn’t make sense. While the dps is OP it doesn’t count for squat if you net less xp because you charmed one of the mobs in camp.

I understand why some don’t care for their chanter charming. Usually an open mind to their perspective and making sure they know you share common goals goes a long way to alleviate these situations. Who knows you might both learn something which is what makes this game so special, there’s unlimited knowledge to be shared.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enchanter is one class you can't play drunk.
hold my beer
Old 04-16-2020, 08:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lots/most people underestimate how good enchanter summoned pets (animations) are.

2 encs with animations duoing like this poster are a very powerful and FUN combination.

Killing with an animation is at least as fun as with a charmed pet, because you can actually PLAN stuff. With a charmed pet, you will be able to kill stronger targets, but with RNG being a big part of the picture. Some people like to gamble, some people like to have insider info.

I think it's more fun to actually be in control.

There's nothing hard about charming. The finger memory and general EQ IQ required to be a good charming enchanter is not rocket science and anyone with half a chromosome can succeed in this endeavour. There's no glory to be gained by charming stuff. Back in 2000 - sure. But 20 years later, everyone and their aunt charm-duos HS, so come on now.

I leveled an enchanter to level 55 almost exclusively duoing with another enchanter, and we almost always used animations. Great fun, great exp, very little gear needed, almost zero downtime and never spent a minute looking for a group.
I mean, if that's the route you're going with this, practically nothing in everquest is hard.

The animations arent horrible but the thing is that you can literally kill 2/3/4/+ mobs at one time via charming. If you're just taking animation and replacing it with a charm pet, then not breaking charm, not leap frogging pets, not reverse charming, then that's like intentionally doing it the least efficient way possible. If you want to just hack away one mob at a time then animation is fine. Still sucks imo but you can "be in control" if you want to say that.

And you're saying that charming is at best , just a muscle memory reaction time test (I dont fully disagree) but then saying that the possibility of a charm break makes it not worthwhile? Seems like you're saying charming is really easy but then also saying it's too scary to use it over an animation ?

Also Like, it's not that charming is the flashy way to do things , but it's simply better if you do it right. However you're also duoing , and if theres one thing easier than charming mobs for xp, it's duoing for xp.
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Closed Thread