Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Old 02-03-2020, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

Default Irak Altil - Appearance

Currently displayed as a skeleton, Irak Altil was apparently a zombie in the days of classic, as shown on the site below...

http://web.archive.org/web/200010171...irakaltir.html

Also, though out of era, a comment on Allakhazam mentions his appearance which does not match the screenshot provided on the site.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=5628

Quote:
Irak's respawn time?
Apr 10 2003 at 6:26 PM
MaleckS
2 posts
Anyone know by chance his respawn time? I heard 18 hours to possibly 3 days. Can anyone confirm a repop on this zombie? Thank you

Maleck Sterling
60 Crusader
Ayonae Ro
So the change to his appearance likely occurred at a date later than the above post.

Will search for more evidence if needed, but here is another mention about Irak's appearance from one of the older sites...

http://epicquestadventures.tripod.co...ladin_epic.htm

Quote:
The quest giver is Fetid Fiend Irak Altil, found in Plane of Fear. You say, "what are you mumbling about?" Irak will explain that he was betrayed by a Corruptor...
Old 03-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Project Manager

Here is a screenshot from 4/13/2001

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-08-2020, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

I concede.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:21 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I concede.
I was just adding supplemental research. It could be that Irak had his model changed between Epic release (sep2000(the same month denoted on the screenshot in your link)) and Velious.

Perhaps lore enthusiasts or paladins complained about the details. His dialogue supports being a zombie or a skeleton imo.

Quote:
turns its head upon its dried, cracked spine
turns its rotted eyesockets towards you
breathes his words from his skeletal mouth
flames of your holy sword touch his rotted bones
Old 03-11-2020, 10:49 PM
Sarnak

That screenshot from eqlizer isn't necessarily from 2000, is it? The date on it is cut off or they never added the last digit, it says "09.19.200".

This is also out of era, but it gets closer to velious than the 2003 comment above. The Paladins of Norrath epic walkthrough that was posted 2/13/02 and last edited 7/15/02:
https://www.shamanscrucible.com/foru...hp?f=39&t=3224

Quote:
5) The Mark of Atonement and the old Fiery Avenger go to IRAK ALTIL (wandering NPC zombie) in Plane of Fear. You receive the Fiery Defender
And from the same board there's a post for Fiery Defender dated 11/16/00:
https://www.shamanscrucible.com/foru...hp?f=39&t=3223

Quote:
Irak Altil is a named skeleton in fear, that after following a line of questioning brings this up:
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>
Last edited by Kirdan; 03-11-2020 at 10:52 PM..
Old 03-12-2020, 05:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was just adding supplemental research. It could be that Irak had his model changed between Epic release (sep2000(the same month denoted on the screenshot in your link)) and Velious.

Perhaps lore enthusiasts or paladins complained about the details. His dialogue supports being a zombie or a skeleton imo.
That seems to be the case. Irak Altil likely underwent a sudden makeover similar to Mayong Mistmoore, but for different reasons altogether. Though it's unclear when exactly this change took place, that there is mention of both versions existing within the classic timeline makes the difference less of an issue and more of a curiosity.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...3&p=8#comments

Quote:
RE: Where
#Oct 01 2000 at 12:16 AMRating: Sub-Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
we saw irak altil in fear i think that was him he is a zombie and we didnt even scratch him
he ran around for bout 30 min jsut killin everyone...note to self dont pull him EVER again
hehe dont know if this helps but it was first time we ever saw him
Quote:
The Epic quest in full detail
#Oct 09 2000 at 5:44 AMRating: Good
Avandol
Sage
70 posts
In old tradition we have to release a tormented soul to achieve our greatest sword. For this deed we need to find his old armor, sword and shield. These have to be purified by light, gem and water.

THE GEM
These 2 NPC's are found in Kaladim, Jark is in the mines and Nella is outside of the temple
You say, 'hail Jark'
You say, 'some'
Jark says 'Huh? Oh, I struck me some silver. Aint gonna make me rich but it'll sure pay for me minin costs. Speakin of, that wife o` mine was supposed ta bring me food already. Hey, you, wanna go get me my dinner? I aint got nothing ta pay ya with but I sure would appreciate it.
You say, 'I will get your dinner'
Jark says 'Har, I know you were a good sort. Nella has it. Shes out there somewhere in the lower areas. She likes to visit the temple so maybe shes there. Just tell er Jark sent ya and she'll prolly have everythin ready fer me.
You say, 'hail Nella Stonebraids'
You say, 'dinner'
Nella Stonebraids says 'Ach! I forgot me husbands dinner. Im so sorry. I was sendin my wishes ta Brell for health and long life. I was just floatin coins into the wishin pool. Usually its for children but things havent been so good lately. Here, please take this to him and tell him where I was.
Jark says 'Har har! No time fer eatin now! While you were gone I struck me a rich vein. Lookie here. Ya ever seen a gem so pure? Its tiny but clear as glass. Ya take it Holyomen . Ya showed me some kindness, least I can do. Besides, still a share here for me.

THE BREASTPLATE
Comes of a Thought Corruptor in the Plane of Hate and is called a Tainted Darksteel Breastplate.

THE SWORD
The Sword can be found on the Keeper of Tombs in The Hole.

PURE WATER
A peasant woman near the monk guild in West Freeport :
You say to peasant woman "what water" then "I will take it". You get a bucket of water. Hand it in to her brother Joshua and it will be turned into Pure water.
Joshua is in the bakery near his sister.

THE SHIELD
The tainted shield drops off Kirak Vil in Nektulos forest. He is a lvl 56 Dark elf, no faction losses for killing him.

Now the steps to assemble the items :

1) 'The sword must be dipped in water pure.
Tainted sword plus Pure water (blessed by sacrafice){pure water obtained from peasant woman quest in west freeport} given to REKLON GNALLEN in the temple of Quellious, Erudin.
You receive a Gleaming Crested Sword.

2) Light of clean spirit to cleanse the shield.
Tainted shield goes to Elia the Pure in Felwithe (light of clean spirit = Pure). You receive a Gleaming Crested Shield.

3) A gem of clarity unlike any other for the breastplate
Tainted Breastplate plus Pure Crystal (blessed by compassion) {Pure Crystal obtained from quest given by Jark in the mines of Kaladim} given to REKLON GNALLEN in the temple of Quellious, Erudin. You receive a Gleaming Breastplate.

4) Gleaming Shield, Crested Sword and Breastplate go to REKLON GNALLEN again.
You receive a "MARK OF ATONEMENT".

5) Mark of Atonement and one more item go to IRAK ALTIL ( wandering NPC zombie ) in Plane of Fear.

THE MISSING ITEM - thoughts
1) Old FA, THE symbol of perseverence, power, strength, friendship, love and what not. But then again Verant stated they know of the problems associated with getting FA nowadays and "that they have a solution".

2) The Symbol of Marr is from plane of sky, a more or less rare drop and surely a sign of purity and strength ( takes hell lots of guts to stand the more than boring sky raids [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ).

3) Soulfire is our old symbol of compassion and strength and a flaming sword ( we know the knew one is flaming as well, just without the blade and only flames ). This might be the solution to circumvent getting old FA to get new FA.

Special thanks go to Avarus of Innoruuk and Arith Venivrai for the most important leads and sacrifices. Thanks go to the numerous paladins who looked into the numerous leads and tried out possible solutions.
#Oct 11 2000 at 9:23 AMRating: Sub-Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
Where do you get the idea that we have to turn in the Mark of Atonement AND something else? I've never seen anything about turning in something else. Im not saying that you dont have to, im just curious as to where is says this. The zombie dude just wants atonement, right? Should you just have to give him the mark?
Tower
Mythic Legion, Druzzil Ro
Mention of Irak Altil (zombie version) taking on the appearance of an Erudite after the last two quest items were turned in.

Quote:
RE: Guys, i have a question....
#Oct 11 2000 at 6:26 PMRating: Sub-Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
I have been told that the mark of atonement and the original FA are required to give to the zombie, he then turns into a living erudite paladin. The person who did this was agroe'd by another mob b4 he could do anything else so not sure what step comes next, killing the erudite? don't really make sense sinse we just saved his soul, but that's kinda verant's style ain't it?
Another mention. Speculating here, but it's possible that the turn-in mentioned below failed because another Paladin had completed their epic earlier, leaving Irak Altil up to wander as an Erudite instead of a zombie. Perhaps his appearance was changed altogether for this reason?

Quote:
RE: Guys, i have a question....
#Oct 11 2000 at 11:44 PMRating: Sub-Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
Wait! Still not clear. Someone cleared PoF last night and gave both items but nothing happen because the faction problem. We need someone give the mark of atonement first and see what happen with faction. Please stop to waste your FA now.

Also, the erud cannot hail stop. We need to charm it for our next step please.

Shiorikw - Lv55 Knight in Eci
Another instance where the final turn-in did not result in the player receiving their epic.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...3&p=5#comments

Quote:
Paladin Epic Quest Boken in Plane of Fear
#Mar 17 2001 at 11:58 PMRating: Decent
Oreh
10 posts
Today, Saturday, 17 March, at approximately 7:45am Central time, on the Xegony server, I had my Paladin Oreh in the Plane of Fear to turn in the items required to complete the Paladin epic quest for the Fiery Defender. I handed my Fiery Avenger and the Mark of Atonement to the quest mob, Arak Altil, and I had a main inventory slot open as well as spots open in large containers. He did not give me the Fiery Defender. There was no experience message. He did not thank me for the items. He didn't curse me as a mob does for handing in items with incorrect bad faction. He in no way reacted to me handing in the items with text nor action.

I'm not the only Paladin this has happened to since the last patch. I posted on the Paladin of Norrath message board and another Paladin has already responded that the same thing happened to him or her.
Quote:
RE: Paladin Epic Quest Boken in Plane of Fear
#Mar 30 2001 at 12:43 PMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
Yikes! I'm ready to turn my stuff in to Irak too! What should I do???????
Quote:
RE: Paladin Epic Quest Boken in Plane of Fear
#Apr 01 2001 at 8:59 AMRating: Decent
Oreh
10 posts
It's fixed now
https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...8&p=1#comments

Post-Luclin, but Kirdan's link already mentions the skeletal version, dating back more than a year before.

Quote:
?
#Dec 07 2001 at 7:26 PMRating: Sub-Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
why is he a named skeletin?
Lore may have been one reason behind the change to his appearance as Odus doesn't have zombies in any of its zones; skeletons however are all over, most notably in the Hole. https://wiki.project1999.com/A_fallen_erudite

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...8&p=1#comments

Quote:
Irak
#Dec 19 2001 at 12:22 PMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
I believe Irak was once an erudite pally that became corrupted or was cursed. If you head to one of the pally sites with the epic walk through it wil be explained there.
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/....251260/page-5

Quote:
Alright, so Mori's the winner with the right answer: Irak Altil

Former Erudite paladin of Quellious, cursed to suffer in skeleton form in the Plane of Fear (and therefore also in Fear Itself, House of Thule), saved by a player paladin and rewarded with the 1.0, then shows up again in the Halls of Honor in floating armor form having been redeemed and put into service by Lord Mithaniel Marr to help the same paladin get his 1.5.

Was originally thinking of featuring Inte Akera, but his questions would have been less interesting.
Since fetid fiend males drop Paladin armor, it may be that the original version of Irak Altil was given the same appearance by default. Again, speculating, but since the first Paladins to solve and complete the epic quest did so with more time in between their turn-ins, they may have inadvertently avoided one issue the original devs did not anticipate. But as word of mouth began to spread and detailed quest information found its way onto more frequented websites, overlap began to take place. So the following would occur...

Paladin A enters Plane of Fear and turns in the last two quest items to Irak Altil (zombie version). Paladin A receives the epic from zombie Altil who, as a result, becomes the Erudite version of himself (with the curse having been lifted). This version is then left to wander about the zone. Before the servers are brought down again, Paladin B-Z enter Plane of Fear and turn in the last two quest items to Irak Altil (Erudite version) but do not receive the epic, because only the zombie version would reward players with the epic.
Last edited by Ennewi; 03-12-2020 at 06:05 PM..
Old 03-12-2020, 07:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That screenshot from eqlizer isn't necessarily from 2000, is it? The date on it is cut off or they never added the last digit, it says "09.19.200".
Noticed this as well. However, the waybackmachine capture date reads "Oct. 17, 2000" and none of the players in the screenshot are wearing Velious armor.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:20 PM
Planar Protector

For the sake of thoroughness, here is the exact/approximate(?) date of the change made to Irak Altil's appearance...

https://web.archive.org/web/20010307...ews/nov00.html

Quote:
Wednesday November 15th, 2000
There is also another patch to address these issues for tomorrow, Thursday November 16th, 2000.

Path finished! Apparently there are problems. Lightsources aren't working, and people are just having funky graphics. Remember to make sure you have the latest drivers for sound and video! Either check your computer brand's website to find driver updates. You can also right click My Computer, click on properties, then the device tab and find your sound and video devices. From there, you can hunt down the manufacturer and get the latest drivers there [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Also, make sure you install DX7a OR Dx8 first, then update drivers.

Fiery Defender news! Paladins are posting on the PoN epic quest board that they are in the process of breaking fear. I'm sure everyone is greatly anticipating their outcome, and I will post here if there is any news =) One noted change is that Irak is now an undead indifferent skeleton instead of a fetid fiend.
Old 03-18-2022, 02:47 PM
Project Manager

Fixed, pending update

-Irak will appear as a fetid fiend until Nov2000
Old 03-18-2022, 03:17 PM
Planar Protector

Keep up the good work Boggers! Don’t let the haters wear you down!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung