Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 10:40 PM
Sarnak

Default Riposte - What’s the story? (Green)

Okay so I’m just about to ding 25 on my warrior (coincidentally got 35 the other day on my monk) and wanted to know what to expect for how effective riposte actually is?

Is there any calculation like there (might) is for double attack and dual wield where I could expect to avoid XX% of attacks and turnaround and smack that mob? Maybe like Skill/600=chance for riposte?

Is it a really big deal for soloing and tanking or just another tool in the toolbelt and nothing to get too excited about? I’ve heard monks talk about a DPS lift from using heavy two hander is this true or more anecdote?
Old 03-13-2020, 02:24 AM
Planar Protector

More another tool in the toolbet than something overpowered [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] you should be more worried of NPC ripostes than excited about your own ripostes tbh

When you riposte, you do it with a single Primary weapon hit out of weapon cooldowns. It s just a free attack. So having a high dmg 2h weapon is better for ripostes (your own as they will deal more dmg and NPCs as you will usually trigger less ripostes from them)
Cerras - Hierophant // Dharkan - Warlock
Kirua - Assassin // Veuve - Gravelord
Tornade - Warder // Fikko - High Priest
Dikkenek - Warlord // Barraki - Crusader
Old 03-13-2020, 05:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Okay so I’m just about to ding 25 on my warrior (coincidentally got 35 the other day on my monk) and wanted to know what to expect for how effective riposte actually is?

Is there any calculation like there (might) is for double attack and dual wield where I could expect to avoid XX% of attacks and turnaround and smack that mob? Maybe like Skill/600=chance for riposte?

Is it a really big deal for soloing and tanking or just another tool in the toolbelt and nothing to get too excited about? I’ve heard monks talk about a DPS lift from using heavy two hander is this true or more anecdote?
It functions the same as dodge/parry but is paired with a free hit from your mainhand weapon. I'm not sure what the rate is for riposte to occur though.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:01 PM
Sarnak

Haven't tested here, but can tell you how it works in stock eqemu by reading the code.
In eqemu source its [Skill + 100]/50 = % riposte chance. So every 50 points of skill increases the chance to Riposte by 1%. Its stored in an integer mid computation, so there's a breakpoint every 50 skill where your chances go up by 1%.

Dodge, Parry and block work the same way, but divide by 45, 45 and 25 respectively. With Dodge, Parry and Riposte all blocking 6% of attacks, it effectively reduces damage from the front by 1 - (0.94)^3 ~ 17% when maxxed out.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

What order are defensive skills checked?

It would be a shame to have attacks dodged or parried that could have been riposted...
Old 04-29-2020, 04:44 PM
Sarnak

Riposte/Block/Parry/Dodge
Old 04-29-2020, 04:55 PM
Planar Protector

If you didn't know already, Riposte is not an active skill button you click. It's a passive skill that just happens some percentage of the time, based on your skill, just like Parry and Dodge (or Block and Dodge for monks).

Another thing I wish people would remember is that when you first get a skill in EverQuest, any skill, it sucks. You have to practice it up before it becomes effective. That means putting at least 1 point into it at a trainer, then going out and getting punched in the face some more.

Riposte will not blow your mind. However, everyone obviously trains the skill, because it costs nothing and helps somewhat. There aren't a lot of customizations or "builds" in EQ like there are in other games.

When I watch my combat spam, I don't see a ton of Ripostes like I'm untouchable. It's pretty much a bone thrown to those of us who are supposed to be good at avoiding attacks which is not granted to the more scholarly/priestly classes.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly: Riposte, Parry, and Dodge only work against attackers whom you are facing. Therefore, you should try to point yourself toward any attackers. Sometimes that's not possible if there are more than one, but sometimes you can drag mobs around so you can face all of them. Block works from all directions, which is why it's better.
Last edited by Videri; 04-29-2020 at 04:58 PM..
Old 04-29-2020, 05:08 PM
Sarnak

Shadowknights only: Riposte can interfere with Feign Death in rare situations. The best way around that is to have a totem handy.