Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 03-26-2020, 05:39 PM
Large Bat

Default Gamma adjustment does nothing in windowed mode

I've seem others bring up this issue in reddit and such, but not seeing it posted in this forum, let alone the fix.

When I'm in full screen mode running P99 in fullscreen mode, the gamma is adjustable in game as expected. However, when I change to windowed mode, the gamma goes dark (I estimate somewhere around 25% gamma) and, while I can move the Gamma adjustment bar, there is no visual change in the gamma. When I go back to full screen the gamma level shows/changes properly. Back to windowed, its dark.

I've tried Running eqwin2, but even with that its still in windowed mode and therefore remains dark and unadjustable.

I'm running windows 10 Pro (on this desktop pc) and having this issue.
I do have a laptop also running windows 10 pro, same windows edition/version/os build but it does NOT have this issue! In windowed mode on the laptop the gamma is adjustable and behaves correctly. Desktop is using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, and laptop has a GeForce RTX 2070.

Lastly, the closest "fix" I could find was using the nvidia control panel to manual adjust the gamma on the momitor, but the problem with that is it makes doing anything else on the monitor very bright/washed out. Better than nothing I suppose, but after dealing with this issue for some months I thought maybe someone else has a solution? Strange that the laptop doesn't have the issue while the desktop does.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:55 PM
Planar Protector

Are you trying to cheat?
Old 03-26-2020, 07:15 PM
Large Bat

No, I'm not trying to cheat. How would anything I've described coincide with cheating?
Old 03-26-2020, 07:45 PM
Planar Protector

A good bit of work was done to recreate classic day/night cycles and how that affects various races

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=336363

Gamma is not supposed to be adjustable. Lightstones, Firebeetle Eye, Lanterns have use. Infravision and Ultravision are relevant again.

Could be wrong, but sounds like you are playing a Human/Barbarian/Erudite that has no vision adjustments and trying to adjust the gamma? If thats not the case, can you provide the scenario or a screenshot?
Old 03-26-2020, 07:53 PM
Large Bat

I read that link, and I'm not seeing a single reference to gamma being adjustable or not. Can you link anything supporting "Gamma is not supposed to be adjustable"? I have no issue with dark being DARK; but that is a far cry from a feature, a la gamma with and adjustable gamma bar, NOT WORKING. Or are you so tied to the thought that gamma adjustment = cheating that you believe anyone adjusting their gamma bar IS cheating? I appreciate the feedback, truly I do, but it seems more than a little silly to consider using the gamma bar (or expecting it to work) as cheating.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:11 PM
Planar Protector

Looks like its a Windows thing and not done through the client

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=331386

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...7&postcount=19
Old 03-26-2020, 09:19 PM
Planar Protector

My in-game gamma is totally adjustable via the options slider in windowed mode.

My issue is that the in-game gamma setting does not match the desktop one. Desktop is always brighter compared to game regardless of in-game slider.