Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Old 09-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Banned

Default Glacier Bear spawn for Totemic Helm quest not functioning properly

Recently went hunting for the glacier bear in the hidden cave in Everfrost. I was obsessed with this quest during actual classic era (99-2001) and remember how it's supposed to function very well. Currently trying to find documentation for this, but there *SHOULD* be 2 ice boned skeletons who roam the cave in a big circle. Both are PH's for the glacier bear, but they should both only respawn every 8 hours. I distinctly remember that I could only attempt to get him every 8 hours for this reason. Currently on P99, there is only 1 ice boned skeleton PH, and he stands still in the eastern most hall and doesn't roam. He also respawns in the normal zone time instead of the 8 hours.

The other icebone skeletons in the cave (the ones who stand near the various stone monuments and don't roam) are currently behaving correctly though, just to be clear.
Last edited by douglas1999; 09-06-2017 at 02:44 PM..
Old 09-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Planar Protector

Typically if you do not post links it will just get skipped over, I did a little digging and i think I can confirm your findings on spawn timer and 2 ice boned skeletons, check out this wayback link:
http://web.archive.org/web/200201230....shtml?id=3714

Is actually a 12/8/2001 comment on there, but close enough:
Quote:
Well I can confirm 2 bears can spawn...finally got the guts to try this at lvl 39. Went in used Vision on The Lich from the Teleporter room to watch when he was furthest away. Killed the 2 Ice bone Skelly's and camped there. Got on 7 hours later and cast Sense animal and bingo, see the bear. Found him walking around a corner toward me and cast my dots. 2 seconds later I see another one coming at me to help his buddy. Root. Fall back. Kill. Loot. Stand up and POW. Lich got me. So on my way back I grab a lvl 18 Shaman and helped him get a pelt too after my corpse run. He didn't even know what the Totemic Helm was. Hope he enjoys it when he can complete the quest.
He mentions 7 hours later and also mentions the bear walking (not stationary).

Another comment on the page (the day before Luclin) confirms the 7 hour timer:
Quote:
Alright, i camped the bear all weekend!! I killed 9 pairs of wandering icebones and did not see the bear!! (or the Lich by the way) I killed the icebones when they popped, returned 6-7 hours later, watched them pop again and killed them again. Still no bear!! This is the final piece I need to complete all my totemic quests and its driving me crazy!!! Can anyone help me? What am I doing wrong?
Another poster a month prior mentions 6-8hrs and the 2 spawns which do wander (not stationary). Others mention the 6-8 hrs too, so maybe a 7hr spawn with +/- 1 HR variance:
Quote:
Ok...if you have an alt to play that is good...i just simply went to caves and checked out to see if he was up. if not i killed his PHs (ice bone skeletons the wandering ones and there is two of them, MAKE SURE SURE YOU KILL 'EM BOTH)then went on alt for 6 hours because the spawn is 6-8 hours. Then once the 6 hours up i went to see if he was up then wait for 2 hours. Then within that time he poped and got the pelt!!!
A wealth of information on that page really.

To the devs, as far as the pathing, comments on this page make mention of the pathing can be found on eqshaman.com, and while not 'entirely accurate' is 'close enough'. Here is a link to that map on wayback machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/200111290...w.eqshaman.com

The direct link to the map doesn't work, go to Quests / 'How do I get all that Totemic Armor?', then click on the 'Glacier Bear Pelt' link in the Helm section. Here is an image of the map:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Hope this helps! #Classic
Old 09-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Banned

Ah thanks much for finding that info! Yup, that all sounds exactly correct, and that map is also right (the blue line being an alternate route that seemed to be chosen at random). Always roamed counter-clockwise too, along those two paths. I remember it being 8 hours, but I agree that it was probably really 7hrs with a +\- 1hr variance like you say.

This is such a minor thing, but for me, going into that cave and not knowing if the bear is up and then turning a corner and seeing the big guy walking toward you is SUCH an awesome classic feeling that I had to make a thread about it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Thanks again for the additional info Rygar.
Last edited by douglas1999; 09-07-2017 at 10:08 AM..
Old 09-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Banned

UPDATE: So I just checked again, and I found 1 single icebone roaming the cave. I may have been wrong about this. However, there was only 1, and he was roaming clockwise instead of counter-clockwise. Also, the stationary icebone that stands in the eastern hallway that I mentioned just shouldn't be there. I think I assumed that he must be the PH for the ice bear because of where he was, which threw me off.

Like I said though, I only found 1 roamer, and there should be 2 unless somebody randomly killed 1. I will check to see what the respawn time is, maybe this only needs a couple slight tweaks to be perfect.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:05 PM
Project Manager

There are definitely already two placeholders, but other changes needed to be made.

Pending update:

-glacier bear no longer has a spawn limit. (this means it is possible to have two glacier bears spawned at a time, one from each placeholder)
-Respawn time changed from 7.3 hours to 6-8 hours.