Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 12:12 AM
Planar Protector

Default What is your opinion on an "ideal" society or system?

There have been numerous political threads, some of which I found to be interesting reading material. This leads me to beg the question - what is your idea for an ideal society?

When I turned 18 I got a Gillette razor in the mail for registering for the US Selective Service. Would a firearm have been more appropriate?

Several countries have legalized/decriminalized all drugs. Should my local convenience store have an aisle of "recreation"?

The Rural Electrification Administration arguably benefited everyone impacted. Maybe something similar for communications / Internet connectivity is warrranted?

In some areas if access to your own means of conveyance in a "reasonable" amount of time isn't available you'd be unable to secure employment. Or, there are areas where public transit is just there; you don't even think about it. Is access to a system that is reliable, reasonably on-time, and affordable (even free) something you would provide?

Healthcare is a hot topic. Some countries provide all care, others a level of care where additional choices are available for cost, or in some cases all care is paid for by the recipient or their subscribed provider. Which would you prescribe?

Funding for all these is of course a question. How is taxation handled? For that matter, how does compensation work? Does everyone work for themselves, everyone else, or a combination of these? Is it commodity-based or fiat? Even Star Trek had the unreplicatable "latinum" pressed into worthless gold. What does an ideal currency entail?

How are leaders chosen? Birthright was considered sufficient for ages. Elections, both popular and representative, are common now. Maybe AI handles the decision-making?

What does your penal system look like? Executions, internment, fines or other penalties?

Welfare, education, retirement - there are so many topics. I invite your contributions and welcome your arguments.

Does your vision resemble those opined by Bradbury, Huxley, Orwell, Rand, or Roddenberry? There are many I'm not familiar with.

Mcoy
Old 10-01-2021, 12:40 AM
Planar Protector

Hmmm

Probably a place that isn't like San Francisco

I'm not too cool with human doo doo all over the streets
Old 10-01-2021, 12:43 AM
Planar Protector

I like that you put Rand with the sci-fi writers, nice touch. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-01-2021, 12:52 AM
Planar Protector

I was readin some chatter from the hammer and sickle voters regarding this 3.5T bill that the bluedogs want to pass to finally bring utopia

They were sayin it was 'relief' for the taxpayers

it made me realize we'll never have an ideal society with low IQ peeps like that who are allowed to vote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:05 AM
Planar Protector

America but where corporations fail.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:18 AM
Banned

Human Nature creates problems in society that we are figuring out how to solve. For a long time, we couldn't get past the phase where one warlord controlled everything as a tyrant with a club.

At that point we wouldn't know anything like a modern society is possible. As of right now, I think we are pretty ignorant of what a really good society will or could look like in the future. It might even be very hard to accept if someone from the future traveled back in time and showed us exactly how it works and why its clearly better.

The biggest problem is what we call the "collective action" problem in game theory. Humans trouble doing something as a group that would make them all better off, because each individual considers their own interest first. The result is a worse situation for all.

Essentially, you want a society that actually does address the collective action problem. One that doesn't sweep it under the rug with some kind of totalitarian gaslighting, and actually gets people to willingly act in a way that provides the greatest utility overall, while not violating any widely agreed-upon human principals (like harvesting organs from the living for the "greater good").
Old 10-01-2021, 01:19 AM
Fire Giant

Ill take what the Ewoks had.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ill take what the Ewoks had.
Or the Eloi without the Morlocks

Every chick was smokin hot and stupid
Old 10-01-2021, 01:43 AM
Fire Giant

I just want to Yub Nub
Old 10-01-2021, 01:58 AM
Banned

Having seen what humans who were raised up in a social democracy deserve, I am feeling distinctly royalist sympathies this eve
Closed Thread