Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-09-2021, 10:19 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccs88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t think people asking that question 3-4 years ago on a completely different website is relevant, no.

At this point, P99 devs have finished Kunark and Velious, and recoded the Titanium files to perform as close to classic as possible. 3 fluid servers. It crossed my mind that now would be a good time to ask this question, whereas previously, people were asking the devs to share an incomplete thing.

Not suggesting an ulterior motive. Just pointing out that there is no benefit to keeping lock and key on something you don’t profit from or benefit from in any way. People who are already established as part of the P99 community are likely not interested in this idea, and I doubt population would suffer much, if at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccs88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stop with the doom & gloom. Players that enjoy p99 would stay on p99. If p99 clones were run by idiots, then people would return to p99. Your contradictory logic makes zero sense. It’s a decade+ established community, here. There wouldn’t be anything close to a rival to p99, and nobody has that intent in the first place if you actually read our reasoning.

First off, I do not feel entitled. You assume entirely too much. I said multiple times I’m just curious. Secondly, the devs here have sourced us players for a decade+ in order to get the programming down pat. It’s not that farfetched to ask if we’ll ever have access to use the DB we helped build.

I’ve been a programmer for 25 years. It has never been hard to start one’s own server. You know exactly why we want p99’s DB. It’s true to classic. You also know it would be pretty impossible to replicate as a solo project, as this is a decade+ community project.

Again, you contradict yourself saying it would be a disaster if people didn’t know what they were doing, but also “it’s never been easier.” Right then — you’ve made your obligatory contrarian/condescending comment, I hope you got your jollies. Please move along.
I've taken the liberty of bolding the parts of your post(s) that make you look like a complete idiot to anyone who actually knows their way around EQEmu development or really just the EverQuest client in general.

Let me get this straight.. You've been a "programmer" for 25 years but you think p99 devs are out here "recoding Titanium's files"? Yikes. You come across as extremely entitled when you say stuff like "they've sourced us players for a decade to get their programming down pat". I think you meant they've sourced players for 10 years to get the database down pat? Just because players have voluntarily given up information doesn't mean they owe you anything in the end. You act like it was the players that actually did the work required to turn that information into a reality on their DB/source.

You also grossly mischaracterized what I said. I said it's never been easier to start your own project. Never said it was easier than ever to replicate P99.

Good luck with getting anything from anyone though. Might wanna start "recoding those Titanium files" yourself. Should be easy for someone with your wealth of knowledge/experience.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:12 AM
Orc

Quote:
Let me get this straight.. You've been a "programmer" for 25 years but you think p99 devs are out here "recoding Titanium's files"? Yikes.
https://web.archive.org/web/20211110...ad.php?t=83812

Quote:
I remember I had a warrior back in Kunark and tanking didn't even cross my mind... granted, I was 11 years old and didn't know anything.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQu...uins_of_Kunark : released on April 24, 2000

ccs88 became a programmer at 7 or 8. Makes me wonder what the requirement is to be considered one.
Old 11-11-2021, 04:40 PM
Fire Giant

P99 is an example of HARD WORK. What the devs have done here, and eqemulator in general has taken years. Take note.

And it is all doable by anyone, you want it all done for you and open source? That isn't how this works.. You would just say "oh no i need it done for me.." because that is the natural tone of lazy cynical ignorant people.

Calling yourself a programmer.. Yikes. Literally every older game has it all in "programmer" language, ready for you to decipher, like the P99 team did for years.. All to have idiots like you scrutinize them, grow up you goof.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:29 PM
Planar Protector

It would be nice if P99 team had a test server using good p99 database where people could go and screw around with whatever p99 team was screwing around with.

That would get my jollies pretty good. Especially of course a pvp version.

My main hope is that p99 team at least might state that they will make their hard work public domain if they ever decide to throw in the towel like the project loses steam for some reason.

Just would be a shame to see that go away.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:52 PM
Sarnak

They kind of did that pre-velious release with a server for testing stuff, so I'd think it wouldn't be impossible.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:17 PM
Fire Giant

I don't imagine they ever will release the server files while p99 is still online. I do hope that once the plug is pulled that they do share the files however.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:24 PM
Skeleton

As a programmer, you can make your own version of P99. Splose laid it out for you.

I see that you're a young programmer who is spoiled by pre-built libraries. Let them have their fun and profit and maybe they will release it later.

You know, when real programmers exploit the logic that they can literally read themselves... it's best to wait til the ship sinks before handing out the blueprints to the enemies.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:43 AM
Fire Giant

Hey OP, if you're interested in starting your own server it really is a lot easier than it's ever been.

Akkadius is a golden god of eqemu and has set up dev tools to maker pretty much everything can point and click.

Check out this website:

http://eoc.akkadius.com/EOC2/

Here's his github

https://github.com/Akkadius.

If you don't feel like spending 10 years with a team of devs plus crowd sourcing from thousands of beta testers.

This:

http://www.eqclassic.org/index.php

was the project that had all the hype before P99 came and just bled it out by launching first. Perhaps you can beg them for their source code, it would likely be more interesting since I think they did actually start from scratch.

Good LUCK! keep us posted on your progress and let us know when your server is launching!
Old 11-13-2021, 04:29 AM
Fire Giant

TAKP have stated they intend to make everything public, after TAKP have reached end of content and Time is completed by players.

Then hopefully someone makes a new classic server, with mouse scroll, and no 5 years of Sirken, Amel, Deru etc bullshit.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:59 AM
Planar Protector

I question the OP’s motivations for not creating their own eqemu server. I also, in spite of such abrasive accusation, politely request free hand outs from OP.