Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-08-2021, 10:02 PM
Sarnak

Question Dear Devs

Wondering if the server files for p99 are ever going to be available for download. Obviously you’ve done 10+ years of work to get p99 as accurate as possible, but being non-profit I question your motives for keeping the files so close to chest.

Personally, my dream is to start a server with only my OG guild from the 90s. These servers are simply too populated by poopsockers, and way over-camped to really enjoy anything. That dream includes p99’s coding, in all honesty. Will this ever be a possibility?

Not hopeful— but curious. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:46 PM
Fire Giant

"Everything is working as intended"

IE do not look behind the curtain
Old 11-09-2021, 02:51 PM
Orc

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40075

I link the above not because I agree with what it says, but because its the only thing I could find where someone states that p1999 is based on eqemu, Nilbog replies and does not refute that specific assertion.

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42422

As you can see, this has come up before and elsewhere.

https://github.com/EQEmu/Server : The server code and utilities are released under GPLv3

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq...cePostedPublic

The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

Quote:
but being non-profit I question your motives for keeping the files so close to chest.
You're not owed anything, not even an expectation of intent or purpose.

That said, I believe releasing the code would produce a dozen short lived half attempts that would reduce the ever diminishing present population.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TercerRigo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're not owed anything, not even an expectation of intent or purpose.

I’m sorry, nothing in your comment is relevant to my post. I asked a yes/no question to people who are not you — and, for the record, I don’t expect or feel owed anything. As I said, I’m just curious.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:32 PM
Orc

Quote:
I asked a yes/no question to people who are not you
On a forum that allows anyone to reply. Surely you would have found a way to contact the devs directly if your intent were for their eyes and word only.

Quote:
nothing in your comment is relevant to my post.
Not even the fact that others have made larger efforts than you have presently to achieve the same thing?

Quote:
I don’t expect or feel owed anything
I'm sorry, I thought this
Quote:
but being non-profit I question your motives for keeping the files so close to chest
meant that you were suggesting an ulterior motive, which by the mention of non-profit alludes to its opposite : profit. I thought you felt you were owed justice and its compensation was suggested as an open source release.

You're right though, I cannot give you the definitive answer, and any further discussion from me is a waste of time.

Good Luck.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TercerRigo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not even the fact that others have made larger efforts than you have presently to achieve the same thing?
I don’t think people asking that question 3-4 years ago on a completely different website is relevant, no.

At this point, P99 devs have finished Kunark and Velious, and recoded the Titanium files to perform as close to classic as possible. 3 fluid servers. It crossed my mind that now would be a good time to ask this question, whereas previously, people were asking the devs to share an incomplete thing.

Not suggesting an ulterior motive. Just pointing out that there is no benefit to keeping lock and key on something you don’t profit from or benefit from in any way. People who are already established as part of the P99 community are likely not interested in this idea, and I doubt population would suffer much, if at all.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccs88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t think people asking that question 3-4 years ago on a completely different website is relevant, no.

At this point, P99 devs have finished Kunark and Velious, and recoded the Titanium files to perform as close to classic as possible. 3 fluid servers. It crossed my mind that now would be a good time to ask this question, whereas previously, people were asking the devs to share an incomplete thing.

Not suggesting an ulterior motive. Just pointing out that there is no benefit to keeping lock and key on something you don’t profit from or benefit from in any way. People who are already established as part of the P99 community are likely not interested in this idea, and I doubt population would suffer much, if at all.
4 posts on an account from 2015. Clearly a troll account only logged on for RNF. I'd ignore.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:53 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccs88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wondering if the server files for p99 are ever going to be available for download. Obviously you’ve done 10+ years of work to get p99 as accurate as possible, but being non-profit I question your motives for keeping the files so close to chest.

Personally, my dream is to start a server with only my OG guild from the 90s. These servers are simply too populated by poopsockers, and way over-camped to really enjoy anything. That dream includes p99’s coding, in all honesty. Will this ever be a possibility?

Not hopeful— but curious. Thanks.
EQEmu dev here.

P99 is based off of a ~2009 fork from EQEmu. Not sure what you mean by "I question your motives". Releasing their source/DB would be suicide for the project as there would be tons of people like you running P99 clones that have zero idea what they're doing.

I'm not sure why so many people feel entitled to P99's data but we get this sentiment on a regular basis over at EQEmu.

Nothing is stopping you from forking the source and starting your own P99. In fact it has literally never been easier to start up your own project.. You'd have a much easier go of it than they did ~10 years ago.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by splose [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Releasing their source/DB would be suicide for the project as there would be tons of people like you running P99 clones that have zero idea what they're doing.
Stop with the doom & gloom. Players that enjoy p99 would stay on p99. If p99 clones were run by idiots, then people would return to p99. Your contradictory logic makes zero sense. It’s a decade+ established community, here. There wouldn’t be anything close to a rival to p99, and nobody has that intent in the first place if you actually read our reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splose [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure why so many people feel entitled to P99's data but we get this sentiment on a regular basis over at EQEmu.
First off, I do not feel entitled. You assume entirely too much. I said multiple times I’m just curious. Secondly, the devs here have sourced us players for a decade+ in order to get the programming down pat. It’s not that farfetched to ask if we’ll ever have access to use the DB we helped build.

Quote:
Nothing is stopping you from forking the source and starting your own P99. In fact it has literally never been easier to start up your own project.. You'd have a much easier go of it than they did ~10 years ago.
I’ve been a programmer for 25 years. It has never been hard to start one’s own server. You know exactly why we want p99’s DB. It’s true to classic. You also know it would be pretty impossible to replicate as a solo project, as this is a decade+ community project.

Again, you contradict yourself saying it would be a disaster if people didn’t know what they were doing, but also “it’s never been easier.” Right then — you’ve made your obligatory contrarian/condescending comment, I hope you got your jollies. Please move along.
Last edited by ccs88; 11-09-2021 at 09:33 PM..
Old 11-09-2021, 09:57 PM
Planar Protector

You can't see any possible negative repercussions to the literally thousands of P99 players that would come from exposing every secret in the game? Really?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.