Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 08:38 PM
Planar Protector

Magician + shaman is also a very strong duo
Old 03-27-2019, 06:08 AM
Fire Giant

Necromancer gets my vote too from reading th OP.

Necromancer has unparalleled quality of life compared to nearly every other class when leveling up.

In the tool box you get DA (Harmshield), Feign Death, several very potent solo strategies (fear kiting, root rotting and charming) and later in life you also get 93% rez (essence emeralds are about 200-300pp a pop) and self-only evacuation in Levant.

Oh, and you also get the best mana regen buff in the game.

The necromancer is also a pretty good duo partner though your mileage may very depending on what class you pair him with.

My first character on p99 was a necro so I'm biased. But I've never had quite the easy ride from 12-60 that I did on that char. FD alone is practically worth the price of admission [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-27-2019, 10:41 AM
Fire Giant

Necro is more versatile and capable than magician for sure. But mage is more beginner friendly and usually more liked in groups. So both are a viable choice.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:53 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necro is more versatile and capable than magician for sure. But mage is more beginner friendly and usually more liked in groups. So both are a viable choice.
How dare you suggest the world might be nuanced!
Old 03-27-2019, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Show me a group who wants a mage over a necro, and I'll show you group you don't want to be in. Don't even bring up CotH,Thanks.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:49 PM
Planar Protector

Malo + pet does more dps + DS + coth
Old 03-27-2019, 03:54 PM
Decaying Skeleton

The necromancer has an easier life for some very basic reasons. Reliable CC being one of the biggest ones. Their life in dungeons is made much easier with the ability to root/rot when necessary. Earth pets are handy, but until later levels it's still difficult to be truly efficient. I started a Mage at the same time a friend started his Necromancer and there is simply no way for me to keep pace with his solo xp efficiency and speed. Necromancers will also have an advantage with group utility as a mana battery in my opinion. Mages may have the advantage for burst DPS, but if that were the requirement a rogue or Wizard would be better. Necromancers also have the benefit of being able to contribute to Crowd Control efforts much more reliably than Mages. The fact of the matter is summoning a levitation ring, a bag of fireworks, a bandolier of daggers, or loaf of bread isn't that valuable in higher lvl content.

With that said play the class you enjoy, and even with some of the frustrations of the Mage it's a class I have enjoyed every step of the way.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

Of course most zones have undead to charm, so a phinny group?
Old 03-27-2019, 11:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorentik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mages may have the advantage for burst DPS, but if that were the requirement a rogue or Wizard would be better.
Lol no wizards would not be better. Mage sustained dps with trash gear (pet + nukes + DS) is comparable to a well geared rogue. Disco 1-2 camp over the weekend on my mage a max summon 57 earth pet alone was hovering 70-80dps consistently mob after mob. Mage burst is good and pretty efficient. For all those non-burst occasions you have a pet which puts out as much damage as a well geared monk. I’m looking forward to playing around with 59 air and 60 water pet.

Necro brings a whole hell of a lot of ‘other’ to the table and has a higher quality of life.
For raw damage output, however, my 59 necro can’t compete with my 58 mage unless charming. Then again my mage can’t rez, independently root, chain heal 125/tick, or do any other number of things.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why groups on p99 undervalue mage class potential to the degree they do. For raids I can understand as not having any lure style nukes and pets which may or may not survive the fight (plus pet push issues) definitely highlight flaws of the class ... but for xp content at all levels mages are powerhouses.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 03-28-2019, 01:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol no wizards would not be better. Mage sustained dps with trash gear (pet + nukes + DS) is comparable to a well geared rogue. Disco 1-2 camp over the weekend on my mage a max summon 57 earth pet alone was hovering 70-80dps consistently mob after mob. Mage burst is good and pretty efficient. For all those non-burst occasions you have a pet which puts out as much damage as a well geared monk. I’m looking forward to playing around with 59 air and 60 water pet.

Necro brings a whole hell of a lot of ‘other’ to the table and has a higher quality of life.
For raw damage output, however, my 59 necro can’t compete with my 58 mage unless charming. Then again my mage can’t rez, independently root, chain heal 125/tick, or do any other number of things.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why groups on p99 undervalue mage class potential to the degree they do. For raids I can understand as not having any lure style nukes and pets which may or may not survive the fight (plus pet push issues) definitely highlight flaws of the class ... but for xp content at all levels mages are powerhouses.

I think the problem is the server being over-saturated with so much higher end gear for twinking out melee-dps characters while mages gain nothing from it. Mages are explicitly a DPS class since they offer nothing else but can't tank, pull, sneak, interrupt spells, CC etc.
Closed Thread