Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-02-2020, 02:42 PM
Skeleton

I was hoping Skarne would come back and update this, as I too have a 5700XT that caps out at 33-34fps when playing P99. I tested out EQ2 and was able to run it on Extreme, getting more than 60FPS in certain areas. Busier areas tend to dip FPS but it proved to me that the card can handle more than 33fps.

I had built a new computer a few weeks ago, upgrading CPU from FX-8670 to Ry 9 and the GPU from an R9 390 to the 5700XT with new mobo/psu/m2. P99 would cap at 60FPS on the 390, no issues with P99 framerate there.

I tried WinEQ and messing with the foreground/background FPS Limiter. It solved the background issue where Alt-Tabbing out of the game would cause the game to run at 9-10fps in the background, with WinEQ, it will stay at 33-34FPS in the background. But it doesn't unlock the foreground FPS.

Attempted to lock the CPU Affinity to 1 core, didn't solve anything. Tried hard locking AMD Chill to 60FPS and enabled/disabled Anti-Lag, didn't solve anything. Game recognizes the card in the Advanced settings. Utilized manufacturer drivers for all parts. Did upgrade windows to the 2004 version, build 19041.508. Messing with alternate resolutions/Hz windowed/fullscreen. It will go up to 65FPS in the char select screen, but once into the game, its a solid 33FPS. I use GPU Tweak II to monitor FPS, but do not manually overclock any parts.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

Sup Ovaltine- could never figure this out man. Still capped at like 33-36
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 10-02-2020, 04:45 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is the client actually detecting your 2080? Under options > display > advanced does it report the discrete card or your integrated? If the latter, use dgvoodoo2:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...light=dgVoodoo

-Mcoy
Old 10-02-2020, 04:53 PM
Sarnak

so i have dxvk (direct x to vulkan translator)
in the login menu i have 180 fps (186 fps)
in the character select i have 90 fps (93 fps)
in the game world i have 60 fps (62 fps)
i hope you see the pattern
first thing i would do is go to your eqgame comparability and remove the comparability for what ever windows version you have it set to
next check your dxdiag for problems
next check your gpu manager program and add what ever profile you need for eq to be managed by the game not your program
as the game is built to have an in game frame limiter
remove your limit to 60 fps and just let it run its normal speed or fps
problem should go away
Old 10-02-2020, 11:24 PM
Skeleton

Appreciate you tryin to help xiax.

I took your suggestions and turned compatibility mode off for eqgame.exe. Just unchecked the box and did so for all users as well.

I ran dxdiag from an Admin terminal and it reported no issues.

I went into the Radeon software and set everything back to default globally and removed eqgame as a game that I could adjust settings for. Any option that allowed 'unless application specifies' I turned on.

I noticed dxvk can work on windows. So, I downloaded it and followed instructions via readme, writeups and youtube. WinEQ2 did not like D3D9.dll and prompted me to remove it, but would boot the game anyway. Client would crash after logging in and hitting 'Play Everquest'. WinEQ2 would also complain about not having an entry point in one of the dlls, boot anyway, and crash after hitting 'Play Everquest'. This happened on both the x32 and x64 versions of the files. Running the game without WinEQ2 and just clicking it from the directory would error out about an entry point also.

dgVoodoo2 would give similar issues. However, when entering the game with dgVoodoo2 running, text would appear as blocks and textures would be 1 solid color. All the while still running at 33FPS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EQ000007.jpg (22.0 KB, 14 views)
Last edited by Ovaltine; 10-02-2020 at 11:28 PM..
Old 10-03-2020, 05:05 AM
Sarnak

so wineq2 and dxvk dont work since wineq2 needs directx to respond back with status messages
dgVoodoo2 needs a fresh install of the game since you are mixing directx and opengl
dxvk replaces directx so both cant be installed at the same time
the other replacement is wined3d
Old 10-03-2020, 12:06 PM
Sarnak

dxup looks like it can help you

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/349
Old 10-04-2020, 01:01 AM
Sarnak

uninstall your drivers from the device manager and reboot
then install your manufacture's driver's, probably in safe mode
reboot
with your windows you got some kinda of limiter for what ever reason running
sounds like your drivers were never fixed
Old 10-05-2020, 02:00 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So :

for me the fix was to go into nvidia control panel, chose eqgame.exe and set max FPS to 60 , instead of have it automatically set, which hard capped the game at 35 fps :

Thank you!

I had the same problem. I took a break for a couple of months and when starting the client I had low fps. That setting brought me back into business. I had to update my nvidia drivers because my old version didnt have the "set max fps" setting. Works!
<Aanelenye> lvl 43 Paladin
<Vaalyun> lvl 48 Wizard
Blue chars: retired

Old 10-30-2020, 06:33 PM
Orc

Holy crap. The Max Frame Work update to 60 worked from me! I was tired of the low FPS everywhere... I logged on my wife's computer who has a GTX 980 and it ran at 60fps non stop... then mine was 32. Changed this to 60 and BOOM! Thank you guys so much!