Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Is P99 the same game as Everquest?

Hi, I never played EQ so im confused as to whether P99 and EQ are the same game.. I know P99 is supposed to be more hardcore which I think I prefer. But is P99 the same game as EQ, just with like the hardcore features enabled?
Old 09-11-2019, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

Exclamation

P99 attempts to re-create Everquest as it existed up until its 2nd expansion, Scars of Velious. It can be considered "hardcore" due to the lack of many quality of life features and mechanics that have made MMORPGs easier and less tedious over the years.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 09-11-2019, 02:02 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thank you! That's what I thought; their the same game but Everquest has some more content cause of the expansions (in addition to the QoL features)..
Old 09-11-2019, 02:22 PM
Decaying Skeleton

^ Thanks I thought this was the case...
Old 09-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Welcome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Demoraliser; 09-11-2019 at 08:12 PM..
Old 09-11-2019, 08:17 PM
Planar Protector

It's the closest thing you're going to get to original EverQuest without going to the trouble of inventing a time machine.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Planar Protector

It’s a bit like classic eq except for the pet windows which are unclassic abominations
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:16 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's the closest thing you're going to get to original EverQuest without going to the trouble of inventing a time machine.
Damn. Ok, well, I guess i'll just destroy mine.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:50 AM
Orc

It's the same game just different time periods is all. It is a more hard core experience compared to today's version of MMO's, but Live just took out some of the old school headaches. Here's the long and the short of it. If you want access to all the full content EverQuest has then I'd recommend live. Reason being is you can pretty much grind a toon there to level 85 before really needing to subscribe. Visually and quality of life aspects they have made a lot of improvements to the game over the years.

Now that having been said. Project 1999 is as everyone said what the game was during that time period. It's a very close replication of the time when the first three expansions came out. Everybody has their own reasons for playing P99. Personally I think and feel like a lot of people at the time there is just more emphasis on your classes being useful in the game.

As a starting player unless this has changed because I haven't been on live in a bit I found I had an easier time finding groups in a starting location on P99 then I did on live. Now live does have mercenaries if your a solo player, but I never used them so I don't know how that even works. My main class I play is a druid and I've never had a problem soloing in any time period of this game.

In short if your ok with the game ending off on the third expansion then P99 is definitely the hardcore experience for you. If you want to play threw the game for the content then I'd check out live.

I usually play both depending on the mood I am in and what it is I want to see in the game. For the most part lately I have just been sticking to playing P99. If you don't want to play both then I would recommend first trying out P99 and see what the game was originally like. Then you will have a better understanding of what a lot of players are talking about in terms of game play. If you don't mind grinding a new toon then you can always check out live later if you want to see the differences and changes and experience the new content.

I recently introduced someone to this project as their first EverQuest experience so they could see as I put it how we brought the pain back in the day. lol There is no hand holding in this version of the game at all what so ever. lol So if hardcore is what your looking for then you have come to the right place my friend. Good journey and good luck in your travels mate. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by KOOLLAYD; 09-12-2019 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Corrections.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:31 AM
Fire Giant

The big difference between live and p99 is on live you will be playing by yourself with mercs 99% of the time because most ppl just box their own groups (progression servers are ok for a lil bit but eventually turn into just boxing groups too after the 1st few xpacs are out).

On p99 there is no boxing / mercs, so you actually get to make friends and be apart of a community/guild where people help each other cause very few classes can do much on their own.

Also on live I found myself mostly just staring at the map watching the arrow move around the map...not even really paying attention to what the zone looks like.

On p99 you have to run around looking through character eyes / using location and sense heading to find the way. Lot more fun and you get to really know the zones that you travel through =)