Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
BTW, this is probably not what you were looking for, but it was still a quite famous "hoax":

http://www.salon.com/2000/11/21/virtual_suicide/
Haha in that article when it explains marriage in everquest it says, "an actual wedding ceremony after which the two characters’ game assets — gold, armor, weaponry and the like — can even be combined into one bank account, if they so desire." Ha was that really true about stuff being combined into one bank account? All I recall about eq weddings was the shared surname, I don't recall any type of shared banking system until, what was it, LoY? LDoN? Ah well it is an old article and that's typical with these weird outside articles trying to explain aspects of eq. "You can be a dwarf, swordsman, elf, even an enchantress!" Haha.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Planar Protector

Did I miss this gem earlier in the thread?

Burnt Woods
https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/i...-woods.185716/
Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did I miss this gem earlier in the thread?

Burnt Woods
https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/i...-woods.185716/
Definitely one of my favorite stories

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 07-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I thought for years that the Greenblood quest was broken or just a story, back before it was ever actually completed. I remember reading on Allakhazam everybody's theories and ideas like it was Atlantis. I had a puny little low-teens Iksar SK and it was my lifes goal to complete the quest before anyone else. . . I never even finished the first one.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wasn't the lake rathe monster in during beta? or alpha? but the mob was too big and players could reach its hitbox from land without it being able to attack and they just scrapped it. I was looking a few weeks ago because I am almost positive that I saw a screenshot someone posted of "A Kraken" in lake rathe, i couldn't find it though.

One of my favorite "Hoaxes" more of a rumor but was proven true. Prince Thirneg DT's, our raid almost wiped because half of us were spamming Give me phat lewts our first time in PoG. what a blast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nial [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No there was never a "kraken"

It was a fable. People wanted to believe but it never spawned.
So here goes my first post.

I played from Beta 2 through the release of Velious, then quit.

Back in beta 2, they had just opened up Ogres and Trolls as PC's, so I rolled up a troll shammy (thak). Exploring around a bit, I went to lake raitheer, and a giant floating shark was to be seen (magaladon) just above the waterline. My understanding is that the pathing was all jacked up, so it got removed some short time later.

My recollection was at that point, they hadn't implemented any ranged weapons, and I was very low level (probably less than 10), so any firepower I had spell wise wasn't going to kill that thing, so I have no idea what he/it dropped.

Attached is the only screenshot I could find on my old computer. Looks kind of like those old grainly bigfoot or loch ness monster shots.

-Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg megaladon.jpg (11.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 07-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Fire Giant

Yeah, the Megalodon was definitely in the beta as your SS shows, but it never made live.

What happened is that someone took an elephant's head from South Karana and Photoshopped it halfway into the water and titled it "A Kraken" and posted it to Everlore which touched off years of debate and theories.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just wanted to quote this because I think it's COMPLETELY true, often overlooked, and understood by few. A lot of games are made better by the lack of total balance. Across the board vanilla balance is something that I find most great games are lacking.

Everquest (classic)... not balanced.
Dark Age of Camelot (classic/SI)... not balanced.
Warhammer Fantasy (the tabletop game, pre 8th edition)... not balanced.

They are also the best games I have ever played, and the non-vanilla feel has a lot to do with that.
I agree. You haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics until you've completely raped a map with an overpowered, all-classes-mastered Orlandu.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffari [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haha in that article when it explains marriage in everquest it says, "an actual wedding ceremony after which the two characters’ game assets — gold, armor, weaponry and the like — can even be combined into one bank account, if they so desire." Ha was that really true about stuff being combined into one bank account? All I recall about eq weddings was the shared surname, I don't recall any type of shared banking system until, what was it, LoY? LDoN? Ah well it is an old article and that's typical with these weird outside articles trying to explain aspects of eq. "You can be a dwarf, swordsman, elf, even an enchantress!" Haha.
You're very much correct. Simply a surname change that required a GM. EQ weddings were simply a celebration with the community.

I'm still curious what the necro I knew was wielding. It was a dagger. Black blade, red hieroglyphs, and the only blade of the like that I had ever seen. PoP era, but had had the blade since at least Luclin. It was beautiful!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Banned

Glowing Black Stone being for a quest.

It wasn't.

Thank god I know this now.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmakos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
just realized i didn't even need to look up sources, almost forgot that...

Qeynos spelled backwards reads "Sony EQ"
Undeniable. I always remembered the Verant team being associated with Sony. I imagine it required a LOT of funds to bring EQ to the world in '99. Sony most-likely had their paws in the mix. Verant still, supposedly, had written the lore through PoP. Then the game ended. Impressive to write so much lore for a PC game during that era.
Last edited by Meiva; 07-16-2013 at 12:04 PM..
Closed Thread