Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 04:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVanFish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For the raiding newbs among us, do people want dragons unrooted so they can be cheesed and killed easier?
killing trash doesnt make them harder, just more time consuming or require more zerg to do it at same time.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:02 PM
Skeleton

Hyjal is right. Experimentation is good. Good on the devs for trying. But not every experiment works. It's really obvious that rooted dragons had the exact opposite effect as was intended. There is less competition in NToV than at any point in server history.

Guilds are not intended to sit in each others camps in north, and play chicken with who will pull the dragon with more mobs in camp. It's hard enough to determine who is training what when theres 2 mages and 2 FTErs per guild in north. But when theres 200+ people, it's just a disaster.

Unroot em.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyjalx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Little long, but dragons were 100% being pulled to zone in/zone out during this era.

The main reason why I even defend pulling dragons to entrance/exit is from witnessing it myself on Bristlebane. I was a raid leader in Club fu from Classic-Velious era.

Toward the end of velious era, a little known euro guild named Arch Overseers started to attempt ToV targets after patch day (I think it was Tuesday morning when servers came up). They were strictly an EAST ToV guild, that everyone overlooked.

Club Fu was a PST timeframe guild. Ring of Valor was pretty much the same. We use to headbutt in ToV at Aary pit often. Shiften the Shapeshifter (our GM at the time) had to seperate us quite a bit. I know Eratani and a few OG's remember this well. AO wasn't even in the picture.

Well, one day AO started pulling Ikatar to zone in. I remember laughing watching Vabtoo/Vabeker die all afternoon pulling iky to zone in, and the subsequent guild wipes after.

Well, Ikatar eventually died. Then Vabtoo pulled Eashan to zone in... and he died too. Before we knew it, All of ToV would be cleared out before 2pm weekly.

We woke sleeper not long after AO started showing up in ST. We were farming ToV and Sleepers for many months and were burning out. Club Fu was a shell of its former self (sound familiar?)

The point of my story is, NToV targets were coming to entrance/exit during this era. In Club Fu we pulled west dragons to West exit as well. Just because it was 20 years ago, didn't mean we were all idiots. So thats Ikatar, Eashan, LTK, Telk, and Gozz that I know for a fact whether people believe me or not. We fought Aary around the corner before the pit/stairs and summoned to the safe hallway in North... which use to be kinda near doubles, but wasn't actually in doubles.

Before we crumbled we made a half ass effort to try to raid early and login before AO did on patch day, but failed. That's Everquest.
First off ... that post brought back some memories, and it was fun to hear those names again [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The original (1.0) Loramin started on Bristlebane, and while I was never in Fu I was friends with a lot of them IRL (for instance, I know the story of how you convinced Verant to let you have a guild essentially named "Club Fuck You").

But that aside... yes, some servers, just before Luclin, pulled dragons to the zone ... and then as soon as more servers started doing it (in Luclin) Verant quickly rooted the dragons. So, it was clearly an exploit, it got fixed on live, and the only reason it didn't get fixed during Velious is that it wasn't common enough (and maybe also the devs were too busy trying to get Luclin out the door).

Just because something happened in classic does not mean it was classic. Rotations also 100% happened on live servers during the classic era, and while I'm a big fan of having them here, I have to agree that the evidence suggests they were the minority. Rotations aren't classic ... in the sense that most people don't remember them existing in the classic era (while they also are classic by other definitions).

Pulling to zone was the same thing ... only it was also an exploit that got patched almost in the classic era. Both things are "quantumly classic", but P99 can't exist in a quantum state. So R&N have to pick a state, and of course they're going to pick the game the way it was meant to be played, and was played on most servers through most of Velious.

But like I said before: that solution was post-classic in a literal sense. If someone were to propose a better solution, that actually made the server feel more the way people remembered it being in 2001 ... maybe the staff might just embrace it.

But a solution that has the whole server pulling to zone 100% of the time most definitely isn't that.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexii [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rooted dragons would be fine if not for all the strange raid rules like having to go back to entrance when one pops. Just creates a big time sink and doesn't help the small guilds any either.
See, Nexii has the right idea! The problem is not that our server has classic Velious (again, with a definition of "classic = what most people remember and/or what was happening on the majority of servers during the classic era".

I don't know if the problem is the raid rules, but since those aren't classic I'm inclined to believe that a fix lies with changing them ... not restoring unclassic exploits.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And that's the crux of the issue: we all know no one was fighting dragons at the zone line in 2001, so no solution that involves "let's go back to unclassically fighting dragons at the zone line" is ever going to fly here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

yes, some servers, just before Luclin, pulled dragons to the zone .
I'm really not sure what to believe anymore.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:32 PM
Planar Protector

green made everyone a frakkin moron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-21-2020, 07:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercanuck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm convinced Loramin doesn't even raid based on his Magelo profile.
the most vocal usually dont
Old 04-21-2020, 07:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyjalx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Little long, but dragons were 100% being pulled to zone in/zone out during this era.

The main reason why I even defend pulling dragons to entrance/exit is from witnessing it myself on Bristlebane. I was a raid leader in Club fu from Classic-Velious era.

Toward the end of velious era, a little known euro guild named Arch Overseers started to attempt ToV targets after patch day (I think it was Tuesday morning when servers came up). They were strictly an EAST ToV guild, that everyone overlooked.

Club Fu was a PST timeframe guild. Ring of Valor was pretty much the same. We use to headbutt in ToV at Aary pit often. Shiften the Shapeshifter (our GM at the time) had to seperate us quite a bit. I know Eratani and a few OG's remember this well. AO wasn't even in the picture.

Well, one day AO started pulling Ikatar to zone in. I remember laughing watching Vabtoo/Vabeker die all afternoon pulling iky to zone in, and the subsequent guild wipes after.

Well, Ikatar eventually died. Then Vabtoo pulled Eashan to zone in... and he died too. Before we knew it, All of ToV would be cleared out before 2pm weekly.

We woke sleeper not long after AO started showing up in ST. We were farming ToV and Sleepers for many months and were burning out. Club Fu was a shell of its former self (sound familiar?)

The point of my story is, NToV targets were coming to entrance/exit during this era. In Club Fu we pulled west dragons to West exit as well. Just because it was 20 years ago, didn't mean we were all idiots. So thats Ikatar, Eashan, LTK, Telk, and Gozz that I know for a fact whether people believe me or not. We fought Aary around the corner before the pit/stairs and summoned to the safe hallway in North... which use to be kinda near doubles, but wasn't actually in doubles.

Before we crumbled we made a half ass effort to try to raid early and login before AO did on patch day, but failed. That's Everquest.

Do you have an in era screenshot of Vulak dead at ent?

We killed Eashen and Ikky in picture room on live, not through some sort of miracle pulling, we cleared to them and it was empty the whole way to us.

No trainups, da's, whatever.

Even top guilds like Legacy of Steel killed Dozekar in his room. Their site is still active, so you can browse their pics.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:18 PM
Planar Protector

You know what else isn't classic? 150+ overgeared players killing 1 dragon. So don't tell me this set of rules has created a server with a classic feel.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercanuck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm convinced Loramin doesn't even raid based on his Magelo profile.
I don't (I used to, but not at an "AA" level).

Regardless, you don't have to raid in order to be tired of people (many of whom have been here awhile, and should know better) ignoring the upper-left corner of their screen. This place is about classic, and if you want to use "X existed on at least one server prior to Luclin's launch" as your measure of whether something is classic ... well, then, rotations were classic also.

Let the rotations begin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Closed Thread