Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Sarnak

Default EverQuest Hoaxes

I stumbled upon a video of popular video game hoaxes, and it struck nostalgia. What EQ hoax still haunts you?

I have two:

There is a single tree in GFAY that you may walk through. It will take you to an underground tunnel that leads directly to Kaladim. I admit searching hard for this tree back-in-the-day as a shortcut for CB Belt turn-ins.

Access to Plane of the Underfoot. Halfling Rogues may slip through the sealed entrance to Underfoot within the depths of The Hole. This is true, but there is nothing but a short, blocked zone line tunnel. Later expansions did introduce Underfoot, however.

Fun! I haven't seen a thread like this in some time. Excited to recognize some other hoaxes I have forgotten!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Sarnak

I remember Everlore, the unmoderated cesspool that it was, being loaded with fake quests and NPCs with pages of comments with people arguing over their legitimacy.
[Sun Jan 31 21:43:23 2016] Kerafyrm was hit by non-melee for 94 points of damage.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briscoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember Everlore, the unmoderated cesspool that it was, being loaded with fake quests and NPCs with pages of comments with people arguing over their legitimacy.
I am familiar with that. There are many unfinished quests. I suppose you may need to read the code to discover any quests that have never been completed, but are fully programmed. I've always been curious if there happens to be an interesting quest or two within the trilogy that can, but hasn't been completed.

I do remember a necro on live during PoP era whom had a dagger I had never ever seen anyone else wield, and he claimed it was a quest that only he had ever solved. I feel he was messing with me, but the dagger was sick looking! Short, jagged steel with red hieroglyphics.

This was Drinal server while I was in the guild Cats in Hats. I believe the necros name began with an M. I somewhat recall him linking the dagger to me, and it had some impressive stats. I also believe it was a pre-PoP era weapon. I'll feel like an idiot if one of you simply link me to a simple quest line or boss drop for this weapon, haha. I still believe that it may have been a GM event reward, even though he claimed it was a secret quest...
Old 06-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiva [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I suppose you may need to read the code to discover any quests that have never been completed, but are fully programmed.
not feasibly possible. quest info is stored server-side.

supposedly there's a lot of Kunark quests that were never solved.

any unsolved quests aren't gonna be completed on P99 btw. gotta go to Live or EQMac to sleuth out old unsolved stuff.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Kobold

orc trainer would never drop the Shiny Brass Shield if he pops whilst someone is standing on the plateau of his hill. everyone has to stay on the side of the hill to make sure he had a chance of dropping it.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

The original Fiery Avenger quest. Fuck Brad, he argued this shit for years before coming clean.

Quote:
That was a mess up on our part and I take the blame. The first quest involved talking to several sphinx and figuring out their riddles. This was begun, but then devs were distracted with other priorities. So you couldn't finish the quest (or even get far on it), but we announced it worked. When later we realized it didn't work, we ended up throwing the whole initial quest idea out and put a quest in that actually worked. This was, unfortunately, some time later.

This happening was not something we were proud of, so we never talked about it. Also my mistake.

-Brad
Last edited by pasi; 06-29-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Old 06-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Planar Protector

Prolly biggest was anti camp radars or w/e that would stop a mob from spawning if you were too close to the spawn point
Old 06-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Prolly biggest was anti camp radars or w/e that would stop a mob from spawning if you were too close to the spawn point
Oh man... That reminds me of a little something that affects me to this day. If you do not loot the corpse, it will take longer for the mob to re-spawn.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Planar Protector

Najena actually had an anti-camp radius.

Source = Prathun.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The original Fiery Avenger quest. Fuck Brad, he argued this shit for years before coming clean.
It's pretty cool that he tells us those sphynxes in Rathe Mountains actually had a purpose at one point though.

Also, Megaladon in Lake Rathe was a big one I remember, and of course Lord Mistmoore (he was actually in beta w/ the Maestro model tho to be fair)
Closed Thread