Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 01:02 AM
Planar Protector

Default How good is Tinkering? Enough to go Gnome for Necro?

So I'm going to try out a Necro and am undecided on whether to go Gnome, Dark Elf, or Erudite.

So far I am leaning towards Gnome because of Tinkering, but not sure if that's enough reason to go Gnome over the other races?

Dark Elf look the coolest imo, and get hide (not sure how good that is?). Erudite has the highest starting Int, and like mentioned, Gnomes get Tinkering.

Is there anything I am missing?

What race did some of you guys choose for your Necro, and what made you choose that race?

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2020, 01:26 AM
Planar Protector

Im a fan of Dark Elves for looks but the truth is, for a necro in particular, before Iksar, Gnome is probably best. You get the wallvision while sitting, you get the super upgrade to hide in feign death, better faction across the board, in addition to Tinkering. Stats wise, gnomes dump wisdom for other stats, giving you a stronger stat aggregate over Dark Elf too.

Dark Elves lose all their advantages as Necros, so a Gnome is a better character all around.

The *only* thing a Dark Elf can do over a Gnome is use hide as an easier charm break for charm undead, which is extremely niche and has a low success rate.
Last edited by Cen; 06-21-2020 at 01:30 AM..
Old 06-21-2020, 05:49 AM
Sarnak

No. Not really.

BUT. If that’s what it takes for you to play a race you’re want to play, then sure.
You’re not going to get many answers outside of either “no, iksar or die, and “play what you want to look at”

I think the lower visual perspective of a gnome gives you a much different experience of a play through, than a taller race. Especially with pet classes. That alone is worth it to me.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:58 AM
Sarnak

the look through the wall is worth it. most gnomes won't touch tinkering which is a shame. there are useful pieces even now. EB items and stalking probes for raiding. i've never end-game tinkered but i think velious comes with some neat new recipes.

Gnomes are very much lacking in strength. So much so it may be a fair argument to dump a good bit of your starter points in to that stat. It's easier to make up the INT than to raise your Str with gear. Maybe there some high Str peices you can find, but I'd rather utilize that slot for MR, HP or INT. Probably in that priority order. I wouldn't pay no mind to those guys telling you the min-max is starter points in sta and agi or whatever bullcrap the wiki might claim. What you will get more use out of us being able to carry more than 200plat while solo farming giants as a necromancer without becoming encumbered.

Gnomes also look the handsomest.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:19 AM
Planar Protector

Just don't think of Tinkering as a way to make money. Tinkering won't make you money unless you put in thousands of plat to get good at making Rebreathers, then sell tons of Rebreathers. On this server, there are probably already many people who have done that.

I'd suggest picking whatever race captures your imagination/interest more. If you don't pick Gnome, you can still just buy a spyglass and a couple stalking probes and call it a win.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:17 PM
Planar Protector

I wouldn't recommend tinkering as a basis for playing a gnome necro.

I'll leave this video here and you can help yourself make the right choice -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopIJ21NqIM
Old 06-21-2020, 09:36 PM
Planar Protector

Looking through walls is insanely useful.... for everything... all the time....

Want to check a camp to see if it's spawned? No need to walk around, just gnome peepers it.

Want to watch a pull without endangering yourself? No problem, just gnome peepers it.

Want to sit and med but know right when something is up? Just gnome peepers it!!

Need to split a room and target things in the back for lulls? GNOMES PEEPERS IT!

Lost in a maze and trying to find your way out? Gnomes peepers got you!!

Mob lost and not sure if a train is coming? Gnome peepers got you covered!!

I use gnome peepers allllllll the time. Just as casually as other races would look around the room, I'm looking into the next rooms as I go so I'm aware of a much wider area than anyone else.

I watch for trains in weird pathing zones (permafrost, lguk, cazic).... I can see where the group goes if I get split up somehow... I can tell who is sitting at a zone line....

I use it so much I feel naked without it now (and I prefer to be in gnome form instead of skeleton since peeping walls is usually more useful than extra mana regen).
Old 06-21-2020, 10:00 PM
Planar Protector

If you have to make a gnome, make a gnome mage.
level it up and park it at PoM entrance in Ntov, so long as your main's guild isn't raid banned. You can sell CoTH's to PoM Entrance. Gnome can tuck behind a 'wall' and not agro pathers I'm told.

If you plan on rolling a necro, roll an Iksar necro when kunark comes out.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:03 AM
Planar Protector

I don't get the obsession with dark elves. They're cliche and stupid looking, did you walk in on one with your mom and now you have a fetish or something? It has to come from somewhere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Dolalin; 06-22-2020 at 03:07 AM..
Old 06-22-2020, 03:15 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't get the obsession with dark elves. They're cliche and stupid looking, did you walk in on one with your mom and now you have a fetish or something? It has to come from somewhere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Comments like this and people wonder why this forum is garbage. Oh nice edit btw! Wonder why you changed it?
Last edited by Nocht; 06-22-2020 at 03:23 AM..
Closed Thread