Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2021, 04:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Secrets will figure it out someday, I have faith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But seriously, the fundamental thing that will always make TakP unclassic is the boxing. If you played on live from '99-'01 you probably didn't know anyone at all who boxed. Maybe you happened to know one rich person who already had two computers sitting side by side, and could afford two phone lines and two EQ accounts ... but the vast vast majority didn't.

The only people really boxing back then were those who played in computer gaming centers, schools, or other places where a bunch of computers with Internet connections were already in the same place ... and even then it wasn't one guy with multiple accounts so much as friends using each other's accounts.

P99 doesn't emulate that perfectly: instead of live's maybe 0.5%-1% of players boxing, we have (ostensibly) 0% ... but it will always be a million times more classic than TakP's "everyone is playing three accounts at once" system.
My dad had two accounts/computers to box from on live from 1999 on. He also played constantly, at least 4-5 hours a day for years....

His druid was level 58, probably lower than that during velious. He didn't get a max level toon until Luclin. People played EQ Socially a lot more back then. Half the time he was playing, he was doing shit like, helping his gf farm a screaming mace for her alt.... or helping a guildy. When he leveled, he'd like .. duo with his gf in burning wood who was also a druid. They would kill like 10 mobs an hour. And just chat while medding.

I remember one night very clearly, my dad was like 1 blue away from getting level 51 and becoming a wanderer for the first time. But was exhausted and went to bed. So I jumped on his computer and leveled his druid the rest of the way. (I was scared as fuck tbh because if I died he would have wigged out - rez's were super hard to come by back in the day) and in the 2 hours it took to get the rest of his level, multiple people in zone(like 4 separate people I had never seen) also camping 10 wasps an hour came by and talked to him as if they had spent hours talking on previous nights.

That's a big reason why I don't think raiding is fucked up on this server. On live, only the most hardcore and dedicated even got to max level, let alone raiding. On live, your entire 3 hour play session could be just going from one zone to another.