Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 06:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polixa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kunark
Velious
LDoN
LoY
Dragons of Norrath maybe for 5. PoP / OoW / CoA are good on a server/guild which are nice.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:04 PM
Large Bat

Kunark
PoP
Velious
Luclin
LDoN

Kunark was awesome and scary.
PoP was just epic I scope
Velious was dragons
Luclin sucked but it gave the melees a much need buff
LDoN let my rogue finally disarm traps. That is all.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kunark
Velious
Who the hell cares
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

But like ravager I think vanilla + very slowly adding content to fill in the default norrath would have been way better. I like when monks had to be the worst race (humans) and had basically no items. Truly an austere class.

The way each expansion obsolete content from previous versions of the game makes me prefer vanilla when every item had a good place. When fine steel was a real weapon people used instead of like a 25pp 1/2 ratio weapon from kunark or velious or whatever.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:51 PM
Orc

Agreed with Gustoo hard on this one. I've never played classic Everquest before Project 1999, and had never played TRUE classic(no kunark/velious) until Green launched in 2019. I've gotta say, the item balancing and progression in Classic feels so natural, with every item having a place and use for the most part. There are absolutely concrete ways in which I would argue classic is better than everything that came after.

THAT BEING SAID, top five expansions (1=best 5=worst)
5. Planes of Power
4. Luclin
3. Velious
2. Kunark
1. Vanilla/Classic
Old 10-19-2021, 07:19 AM
Sarnak

1. PoP
2. ...
3. ...
4. ...
5. ...
Discord: MaCtast1c#7275
Old 10-19-2021, 07:39 PM
Sarnak

Bush
Did
Nine
Eleven
Towers
Old 10-20-2021, 12:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But like ravager I think vanilla + very slowly adding content to fill in the default norrath would have been way better. I like when monks had to be the worst race (humans) and had basically no items. Truly an austere class.

The way each expansion obsolete content from previous versions of the game makes me prefer vanilla when every item had a good place. When fine steel was a real weapon people used instead of like a 25pp 1/2 ratio weapon from kunark or velious or whatever.
Hard agree. Expansions suck. There is no top 5.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:10 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah, every expansion made the game worse on the whole, but Kunark was the best by far. Amazing zones and sense of adventure, and the new zones really were needed at the time, with the way server populations and game content was being handled. Most existing game areas had become much too overpopulated, and Kunark provided great new areas for the playerbase to flow into. The problem of Kunark is in the itemization and some game balance issues, and also just how damn long it took to level once you got to the mid 50's, which could feel frustrating.

I think the next best is Legacy of Ykesha, because it was the least disruptive to the game and did what they should have been doing the whole time - filling in zones on the actual Norrath map that weren't implemented yet (without instancing, ugh the stupid Lost Dungeons of Norrath) and introducing alterations to zones based on story events. Although the Frogloks taking over the Troll city had almost no actual impact on the game, it's very interesting to think about taking the concept further. Imagine if the original EQ cities were all raid zones, with major changes happening sporadically.

Velious is #3, it has some great ideas, but the game world is getting splintered up too much at this point, and the further power creep is part of the cause, since people people can just skip a ton of game content. The hugely increased HP of Velious mobs also can make things more tedious and introduces further balance issues.

I have no experience of expansions from Gates of Discord onward (aside from seeing some of the zones be repurposed in emulators)...how many people actually do? It's basically a dead question to ask what the top 5 expansions are. But I'm certain that plenty of the expansions released for the game over the years are better than the Planes of Power bullshit. From what I experienced some of, Luclin is #4 by default, because although I disliked most of the design there, at least it doesn't have fucking clickable teleportation stones all across the game and everyone beaming up into some random box in the sky. #5 is whatever, take your pick of whatever random expansion from 2005 onward, when the real Everquest was long gone, but when they were at least trying to again implement more Norrath-based zones.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You sound like fun at parties.

Kunark
Luclin
Planes of Power
Velious
LDON (up to where I quit)
I have no doubt you talk about EQ at parties

/YIKES
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric