Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Kobold

Default Not sure what class to play

I jsut want to play something fun for starting out.

I have played classic EQ extensively but never maxed out a toon, consider me an altoholic. I am interested in playing a non caster class such as a Bard or Shadow Knight. The question is are the downsides to the classes that do not have gate or bind affinity an issue? I know that the SK is gear dependent, but I am not worried about that. I just do not want to be needing a Bind affinity all the time and have no one to do it for me.

Also are some classes like Rangers and Paladins just dead classes that are worthless? Is race that big of a deal? I know some racials like ogres anti stun is a big deal, but do Erudite Paladins or Shadow Knights just suck?
Old 05-05-2016, 04:36 PM
Planar Protector

At level 50, you can use a Worker Sledgemallet to "gate" as a melee.

Ports aren't that hard to find. It's a group game anyway, so why not make friends with porters and donate or help them out in return?

Some odd race-class combos have upsides. Erudite and Human clerics can get an insta-click Deadeye helmet (see invis + infravision); Halfling and Wood Elf warriors have the highest agility and with Velious gear are the only warrior races that can get close to mazing Agi; Gnome enchanters have lower cha, but can look through walls... I think the verdict many times before has been: play the race that inspires you most.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

I think rangers wish they were rogues, and paladins wish they were warriors. Then again, their versatility makes them great for small-group content. Problem is, once you hit 60, you start to run out of small-group content to do and look toward raiding, where rangers and paladins are of limited usefulness.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Kobold

Understandable... do Shadowknights at least have usefulness in Raids? I am not worried about min/maxing I just want to play a class that always feels like it has some use to a group to a degree.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Large Rat

First off, I wont speak about end game, because I've never been there. But Ive played about half the classes up to 40s and 50s.

In groups I find any tank valuable. Shadowknights and Paladins definitely fit the bill. I've played a Paladin and found that the ability to do mini heals was useful in a pinch. Also it feels good to save people with little heals. SKs have a bit more utility and you get to invis yourself; making your corpse runs and travels far safer.

I typically have the most fun teaming in this game; but Ive also enjoyed soloing as a Necromancer. I tend to like the pet/dot style rather than the outdoor kiting style of druids and bards. The reason for this: I am rather social and like to type. Twisting spells, casting spells, and running all over makes it hard to do this.

Theres something to be said for Clerics and Enchanters. Ive enjoyed both. People seem to treat you well and it can be the cleric or chanter that is the catalyst for a group to maximize its potential. In a sense, this goes for all three tanks (warrior, paladin, SK) too.

Roll a character and try it out. If you dont like it, reroll, and transfer your wealth from one character to the next. Eventually something will feel right.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirrtiXXX [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Understandable... do Shadowknights at least have usefulness in Raids? I am not worried about min/maxing I just want to play a class that always feels like it has some use to a group to a degree.
Trash tanking is their forte...quick snap aggro with disease cloud/shadow vortex/etc makes them a go-to ahead of warriors who are saved for the big stuff.

In a pinch they can pull in place of a monk/bard.... or assist with splitting. Add in things like snare/fear, lifetaps and light dots... and you've got good times ahead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Banned

If you want to play a tank, just play Paladin instead of Shadowknight. Paladins are pretty at good raiding (unique hp buff, loh, FTE squad), and they are really good at grouping as well. They can't really pull in any special way like SKs, but there are a lot of monks on this server anyway.

Paladins are great at snap aggro, and they can save groupmate's lives very easy. Paladin/Enchanter work great together in a group.

Paladins tend to be the cheapest tank to gear as well. Their Epic looks cool, but its crap compared to Velious weapons (ones that are easy to get in a raid guild).

Id probably roll Half Elf just to look cool. But Dwarf has the best stats.
Last edited by JurisDictum; 05-05-2016 at 08:59 PM..
Old 05-06-2016, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want to play a tank, just play Paladin instead of Shadowknight. Paladins are pretty at good raiding (unique hp buff, loh, FTE squad), and they are really good at grouping as well. They can't really pull in any special way like SKs, but there are a lot of monks on this server anyway.

Paladins are great at snap aggro, and they can save groupmate's lives very easy. Paladin/Enchanter work great together in a group.

Paladins tend to be the cheapest tank to gear as well. Their Epic looks cool, but its crap compared to Velious weapons (ones that are easy to get in a raid guild).

Id probably roll Half Elf just to look cool. But Dwarf has the best stats.
This. I'd definitely roll a Paladin over SK.

The only viable raid tank is Warrior, though.

Bard is an excellent choice as a first character, too. They're versatile in groups, not very gear dependent, and you have the option to swarm kite solo if you just wanna kick it by yourself.

And yes, Ranger is seen as a rather dead class...but I know a few capable players that make the class work.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Kobold

SK if you want to tank, bard if you don't. Both extremely fun classes. I didn't have fun on my pally until end game. There's so much to do with a sk/bard while leveling. Soloing is fun on both though far less efficient as an sk. Racial stats have never been as important as environment and esthetics for me. I roll dark elf sks and half elf bards and love them on every box.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:08 AM
Planar Protector

A well played paladin can make a shitty group good. An average paladin is pretty useless.

A well played ranger can do the same, but also contribute meaningfully in a good group.

The problem is, I have never grouped with a well played paladin and only ever grouped with perhaps one well played ranger. Most don't understand what they can/should do.

Shadow Knights cast disease cloud and sometimes feign death. I have never seen one do anything impressive.

Warriors are absolutely awful, but can be useful with root and are indispensable with their defensive discipline.

Erudite Paladins are absolutely awful statistically. Even with a Shield of the Stalwart Sea, a naked dwarf has better stats. They are fashionable though and therefore are the best choice.