Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 06:32 PM
Planar Protector

Default Reddit - How's it work?

Ive stumble into it a few times when Google-sama has thought it'd be funny to dump me there and I don't really understand it. Looks like a thread orgy. Some queer perversion of electronic communications. I haven't quite figured out how it supposed to work. Any master Redditers out there able to explain this to me?
Old 11-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Planar Protector

I hate it, 90% of the posts are people fishing for comment karma by trying to say something witty loosely related to the content posted or the comments related to the content posted.

Apparently people spend hours of their lives a day trying to find their front page fame. Try the P99 one, see what you think. www.reddit.com/r/project1999
Old 11-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
queer
sounds like u already an expert

the UI has gotten way worse since i graduated from using overwatched troughslopnet. Man it's ugly.

The most important structural thing about reddit is the upvote-downvote system. it's deliberately designed to reward shilling, vote brigading, and other shady online marketing techniques. There was a time you could see the total ups and downs , now you can see only the balance so manipulation and shadiness go undetected. this was implemented around the time of the CIA torture reports. Allows wrongthink to be drowned out by automated systems which are nominally separated from reddit/conde nast and contracted out by marketing departments, as well as state actors and any moderately sophisticated online shilling shops.

I could write a book on reddit and what makes it so reprehensible but I'm phoneposting. Don't use it. It's not just garbage -- it's a rudimentary version of something unimaginably evil and destructive. This simulated social interaction shit is deadly in a very literal sense, and it's impossible to use it even to troll without feeding the algorithms responsible for generating a convincing virtual reality of "human" posts. Just say no.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Planar Protector

Hmmm, was worried I may be missing out on something. Sounds like I wasn't! I shall remain steadfast in my abstinence. Thank you ^^
Old 11-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Planar Protector

How reddit works: NSFW (You've been warned)

They call themselves the aristocrats! Blood and shit and piss and cum all over the place.

I hope I dont eat a ban for this.

my original reply:

One faggot starts jerking off another faggot and a third faggot walks in. Suddenly the third faggot begins furiously beating off. Sooner or later you have a room full of faggots pounding off on the walls, windows, ceiling and each other. A moderator comes in gives them all a gold star for effort and they move on into the next room where the cycle repeats.

How reddit works: SFW
People of high education converse on matters of the up most importance.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 11-11-2016 at 07:26 PM..
Old 11-11-2016, 07:24 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ole_jpn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

the UI has gotten way worse since i graduated from using overwatched troughslopnet. Man it's ugly.

The most important structural thing about reddit is the upvote-downvote system. it's deliberately designed to reward shilling, vote brigading, and other shady online marketing techniques. There was a time you could see the total ups and downs , now you can see only the balance so manipulation and shadiness go undetected. this was implemented around the time of the CIA torture reports. Allows wrongthink to be drowned out by automated systems which are nominally separated from reddit/conde nast and contracted out by marketing departments, as well as state actors and any moderately sophisticated online shilling shops.

I could write a book on reddit and what makes it so reprehensible but I'm phoneposting. Don't use it. It's not just garbage -- it's a rudimentary version of something unimaginably evil and destructive. This simulated social interaction shit is deadly in a very literal sense, and it's impossible to use it even to troll without feeding the algorithms responsible for generating a convincing virtual reality of "human" posts. Just say no.
There was an episode of Black Mirror season 3 that predicts the end result of this sort of madness. People live's are reduced to groveling and ass kissing in hopes of getting an upvote and avoiding a downvote in every personal interaction. It was quite chilling.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:26 PM
Planar Protector

I caved and made a post about Brexit relating to one article once. Basically said the reasons people had for voting to leave and why those reasons were over 50% of popular opinion.

I was downvoted to hell. People don't like opinions that aren't 100% politcally correct, no matter what the reality of it is otherwise. So it's not freedom of expression on there as it should be in an enlightened 21st century.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I caved and made a post about Brexit relating to one article once. Basically said the reasons people had for voting to leave and why those reasons were over 50% of popular opinion.

I was downvoted to hell. People don't like opinions that aren't 100% politcally correct, no matter what the reality of it is otherwise. So it's not freedom of expression on there as it should be in an enlightened 21st century.
You're assuming it was read to hell. Sincerely doubt it was downvoted by humans, at least in the majority.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ole_jpn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns79FFEqxp0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns79FFEqxp0
Old 11-11-2016, 11:41 PM
Planar Protector

reddit is awful. not just horribly designed from a navigational and user friendly perspective, but as was said, it promote echo chamber and shallow attaboy posting. Basically it's shit and I refuse to ever use it.