Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:55 PM
Banned

Location: ✿Kohai in the Streets, Senpai in the Sheets❤( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Send a message via ICQ to Xaanka Send a message via AIM to Xaanka Send a message via Yahoo to Xaanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Julae [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bard kiting IS classic, but I do not think the SOE developers meant for them to kite more than 4 mobs at a time. It was dang near impossible back in 99 due to internet limits. As a poster mentioned before, bards trying to kite like 20 or so mobs would crash.

I play a bard myself, and I do not kite more than 4, just out of courtesy. That said, just because technology allows one to kite 20+ mobs now, doesn't mean that is the classic intent of the original vision of EQ back in 1999. So if the P99 devs intended to speed the mobs up due to excessive bard kiting, I applaud that, however, other classes are suffering and a different solution needs to be implemented, such as maybe bards incur no aggro from mobs if they are causing damage/being aggroed by four mobs at once.
Explain why wizard and druid quad kiting abilities are capped at 4 target and bard AoE's are not then. Sony gave two lines of spells to two different classes for the purpose of quad-kiting mobs, meaning they already considered the implications of capping targets on an aoe ability, why would the bard song be coded any differently if it were intended to be used the same way? Why does the bard song tick for like 5 damage and the druid/wiz spells tick for hundreds? Swarming was intended. An SOE dev telling me about swarming before the game released was one of the main selling points that got me to play EQ. Obviously I can't prove a verbal conversation that took place almost two decades ago -- the proof is in the game mechanics, which I have yet to see a legitimate argument against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That said when xping and finding every mob I have been pulling or even trying to pull missing and then seeing them go by in mass it is frustrating. It isn't envy at the bards ability to kill it all. It is annoyance at the bard pulling everything whether someone else is there or not. Then the fact that you have the few with the arrogance enough to rub your face in it.
Bards aren't magically exempt from the server's camp rules, so this is already covered. They must leave everyone in zone's camps alone or face suspension. Why does everyone seem to think it isn't against the server rules for a bard to pull an occupied zone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axlrose [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hopefully this server does not follow suit on every classic move Verant / Sony did in those early days. I remember a week plus between patches when _all_ bard songs were broken! I forgot the details, but I think it was bards could not move during ~casting~ of their songs. Even during the heat of combat, swinging a weapon meant the bard moved.

Ahhh the days of getting a patch to fix the patch that was suppose to fix the patch to a broken part of the expansion. Add that Bristlebroken server seemed down more than up during those times, looking back, I must have been a masochist...
I love how I have a bunch of 50+ characters and they're all borderline unplayable, and I can't even farm to start a new class. Shitty timing to get my account with my banked plat suspended [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Again, swarming was clearly intended to be in the game. There's nothing wrong with just coming out and saying you don't like swarming, but it's silly seeing people in here pretending like they played classic but somehow never heard of a bard on their server swarming??? I have no issues with the dev's saying "hey guys we don't like swarming, we're taking it out of the game" but pretending it isn't classic and wasn't intended to be in the game is inaccurate and you're all arguing this point simply because you don't like it.

Fair compromises? Cap swarming at 30 targets. Or cap swarming at ~10 and increase the damage of bard aoe to be more in line with ~30% of swarm class dot ticks (there will be no balance implications outside of swarming) Or make a server policy change to ban swarming from starting zones.

You know what gets in the way of levelers more than bard swarming? Druid swarm-thorns powerleveling. Or monk FD powerleveling. You know, things people do in dungeons that new players actually level in. There's a much more legitimate case for indoor powerlevelers interfering with levelers than swarm kiters.
Last edited by Xaanka; 06-15-2015 at 06:09 PM..
Old 06-15-2015, 07:22 PM
Banned

Location: ✿Kohai in the Streets, Senpai in the Sheets❤( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Send a message via ICQ to Xaanka Send a message via AIM to Xaanka Send a message via Yahoo to Xaanka

I regularly pull the first two floors and entire yard of unrest, the entire crushbone zone, or the entire basement of kurn's tower to powerlevel new players on red and I have never once heard anybody whine about this strategy on the forums. I do this on a druid. Nerf /sit.
Last edited by Xaanka; 06-15-2015 at 07:25 PM..
Old 06-15-2015, 11:50 PM
Kobold

Would really enjoy a fix to go in on this...anyone's experience is getting shit on by mobs outrunning sow+strafing.............

Probably would be nice to throw another double xp fest after a week of this shit. Charm killing is probably the dumbest i've ever seen it before atm.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:18 AM
Large Rat

i used to have voodoo 2 sli then upgraded to a geforce 2 pro or ultra and i swarmed 20-50 ish mobs on a regular basis during kunark era. i can't remember for sure but i believe i had to have spell effects down or off.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:42 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shweet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would really enjoy a fix to go in on this...anyone's experience is getting shit on by mobs outrunning sow+strafing.............

Probably would be nice to throw another double xp fest after a week of this shit. Charm killing is probably the dumbest i've ever seen it before atm.
Personally double exp is nothing compared to getting some exp again. Please fix this.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:49 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shweet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Agreed!
Old 06-16-2015, 02:08 AM
Planar Protector

Ran around in LOIO today and did not notice any change in mob run speed. Outran all mobs with SoW, even if they weren't snared.

There was also a very polite bard doing some kiting in the zone, along with civil conversation about and with said bard, so I may have just been in Bizarro EQ land for the day.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 06-16-2015, 03:40 AM
Large Bat

If you don't send random hate tells to a bard who probably doesn't see you saying they're ruining your experience, most of them aren't ass hats. I've had more assholes send me tells on my bard that I didn't see or wrong in anyway, than seen asshole bards when on other characters. By far~

When you randomly accuse someone of shitting on your day when they didn't know you existed prior to the tell, chances are the interaction will be less pleasant than it could have been if you started the conversation in a neutral or kind manner. People paint bards as assholes for kiting, but chances are most will either leave you mobs, or just concede the area so they don't interrupt the play of a group if you just politely talk to them.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoogoplop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you don't send random hate tells to a bard who probably doesn't see you saying they're ruining your experience, most of them aren't ass hats. I've had more assholes send me tells on my bard that I didn't see or wrong in anyway, than seen asshole bards when on other characters. By far~

When you randomly accuse someone of shitting on your day when they didn't know you existed prior to the tell, chances are the interaction will be less pleasant than it could have been if you started the conversation in a neutral or kind manner. People paint bards as assholes for kiting, but chances are most will either leave you mobs, or just concede the area so they don't interrupt the play of a group if you just politely talk to them.
/who helps with that.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:01 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Probably would be nice to throw another double xp fest after a week of this shit.
Good luck with that.
Closed Thread