Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 08-09-2018, 11:32 AM
Planar Protector

Default Mucktail Gnoll (EK) & Shralok Orc (Kithicor) camp details

Was checking out these 2 camps and I think they have a lot of similarities, so will report them together.

The Summary:
  1. Mucktail Gnolls should be aggressive to ALL NPCs
  2. Gnoll Scalps should be dropping off them (HHP quest items)
  3. Grenix Mucktail & Vexin Mucktail should spawn in the camp
  4. Should always be 3 named gnolls with no PHs, but other spawn spots with PHs
  5. Kithicor Shralok camp should be quite similar to Mucktail camp

The Evidence:
Gnolls being aggressive:

Currently these guys don't care about anything next to them, but they should attack NPC that gets near them, even if it kills them.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=387
Quote:
Mar 09 2000
Im a level 29 paladin on the Druzzil Ro server. The chief still cons blue to me. He is extremely easy to kill. The Flamepaw's in HH are green to me and fight harder than the chief does. Another thing about these Mucktails, they try to kill everything that happens to pass by their camp, spiders, mist wolves...anything. This can be a good thing. Just let the spiders and wolves take some of the health away and then attack.
Quote:
Mar 31 2000
He is right about the mucktails aggroing on everything and you can use this to your advantage if you are a druid. Snare a mob and run a large arc around the Mucktails camp, you will not be in their aggro radius but your snared prey will pass through it. You just run off a little and they will follow and kill your target and then usually run after another mob if you pull them out into the open area of EK. You will have cleared the entire camp with a simple snare spell and then you can kill things as they respawn.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=5185
Quote:
Emhu Mucktail, approx level 10. He spawned and reacted like all the other Mucktails. Was killed by a lion patriarch about 10 seconds after this picture was taken.
7/16/01
Quote:
Speaking of East Karana... I'm having loads of stupid fun smacking
Mucktail gnolls upside the head and then running them into the arms of a
lion or a giant spider. It's amazing the low faction they have with just
about every other creature in the zone.
9/24/99
Quote:
I don't think this would be a good option. Certain mobs are already KOS'd by
any passing animal (the small group of Mucktail Gnolls in East Karana, and some
of the wandering Orcs in Misty Thicket,)
5/28/99:
Quote:
Then there are the mucktail gnolls... the Eddie Haskals of the Eastern
Karannas. I don't think there's anything they WONT attack. They even
attack other gnolls.
NOTE: I believe them to talk about attacking gnoll reavers, not other Mucktails

Gnoll Scalps:

I spent quite a bit of time here and didn't see a single scalp drop, so I believe it is missing from their loot tables or far too rare. Some say 1 in 4 or 1 in 10, not sure if they should just be set to same HHP drop rate.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=263
Quote:
Nov 14 2001
Do not expect this quest to be a quick way to raise your faction. I have been killing the mucktail gnolls in EK for a while, and have probably slaughtered 250-300 of them. In this time I have collected only 21 scalps. (i don't know if the drop rate is higher in HighPass, but i am guessing its the same)

So be warned, if you are trying to raise your faction with freeport militia, and corrupt qeynos guards, expect to spend a long time gathering enough scalps.

If your just trying to raise highpass faction, than the scalp quest is just a bonus and you will get plenty of faction from killing the gnolls.
Quote:
Aug 12 2000
If any of you want to continue hunting gnolls after the xp from the ones here in HHP peter out, the Mucktail gnolls in EK give xp into your 20s, with the Chief giving xp at 30. These guys also drop the gnoll scalps for this quest. Best of all, no one ever seems to hunt these guys, so it's a good camp for when other areas are too crowded.
12/7/00:
Quote:
Nope, wrong kind of gnolls. Only the gnolls inside highpass and
the mucktail gnolls in East Karana drop those scalps. Also, only
the orcs inside Highpass and the Shralok orcs in Kithicor drop
the right orc scalps.

>Yes, but can the gnoll scalps in Everfrost be turned in for the quest in
>High Hold Pass?
No. The Gnoll scalps for the quest in HP have to be dropped by Mucktail
Gnolls, which are only found in Highpass and E. Karana.
9/28/99
Quote:
Gnoll scalps are available from the gnolls in Highpass or the
Mucktail gnolls in East Karana.

Grenix Mucktail & Vexin Mucktail:

I should mention that I did camp here for about 3 hours and didn't see these spawn, maybe they are just more rare, figured I'd report just in case. There is some dispute about whether or not these should carry the Polished Granite Tomahawk or Cracked Darkwood Shield (perhaps it is rare, not 100%).

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=387
NOTE: I think the relation to them being killed in EK causing a HHP spawn to generate is bogus given what we know about EQ mechanics now, unless there is some relation to EQ time of day where these mobs have a chance to spawn.
Quote:
Oct 12 2000
another thing to point out, vexen and grenix mucktail spawn here as well, and i have found out that killing them here will cause them to pawn in high hold pass within 30 min, i would come down and kill them while a guild member would wait at the gnolls in high hold and sure enough within 15-30min they would spawn, so if you are camping gnolls for a pgt or cds i recomend killing them here and saving yourself so time waitng.
6/28/99
Quote:
Yesterday I was killed by Droon in east karana (thanks whoever trained him on
me :P) and was heading back through EK to get my body when I saw Grenix
Mucktail on my tracker, now we all know Grenix spawns in Highhold with the PGT,
is this normal for him to spawn in EK? Or is verant actually listening to us
and randomizing special mob spawns? I was butt naked so I didn't want to track
him down and get killed so I don't know if he was carrying a PGT or not. So
does anyone know what the deal is?

I have been attacked by him in EK, so I think it is normal for him to show up
there. I do not know if he carries the PGT there, however.

Gnoll Spawn Details

I see consistent reports of 3 gnolls always being there, but also up to 7. Currently only the chief is 100% chance to spawn, I believe the 2 named next to him should be 100% chance as well, and the surrounding mobs have a chance to spawn other placeholders (which you already have setup).

Note that perhaps the spots next to chief could be placeholders, but by being aggressive to the spawns perhaps he would always take them out, ensuring there are always 3 gnolls in camp?

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/z...1&p=2#comments
Quote:
Aug 23 2000
Coming from highpass, follow the base of the mountain on the left. There is a spot near here where 3 named gnolls spawn. At this level 2 will be green and the third will be blue, sometimes white. He is Chief Sanre Nrexasa. The secret to this is pulling from a distance. If you pull with spells (and maybe a bow, not sure I have only seen this done with a Wizzie and a Druid) from a good distance he will agro by himself. For some reason tho if you run up to him, his little green peskys will agro on you also and if you do somehow manage to kill them all, you will not get xp from them. Chief is supprisingly weak for his level and gives decent xp. As a druid i didnt even need to kite, I dotted and melee'd with a damage shield and he went down pretty quick, so quick that i actually had time to kill a crag spider in between spawns if one was near. My wizzie friend went from 24-29 here simply root/nuking him. Meleewise he isnt too stong and his spells arent that great (root and dd/ice).
8/9/99:
Quote:
What's amusing is that the Mucktails are aggro to damn near
everything. Including other MOBs. Including MOBs that can kick their
scrawny gnoll butts. (Every so often, a Hill Giant will wander
through and clean 'em all out.) One of the easiest kills I ever had
was catching a craggie just after it had wasted the Chief and a couple
other Mucktails. Came out of the fight with a sliver of hit points.
One shot from my 8th level Shock of Blades (35 points) and it died.
And there have been times when I've done just the opposite with the
Chief after he finished off a Lion Patriarch or a Gorge Hound.

One final word of warning: As near as I can tell, you end up
with about 7 gnolls, including the Chief, when they're all out.
And
they're all usually close enough together (given their
aggro-to-other-npc tendencies) that tagging one will bring the whole
lot down on you.
NOTE: I thought I had more info on the 3 static + add'l placeholder spawns... I either misfiled those or they are correlated with the similarities of the Kithicor Shralok camp.

Kithicor Shralok Orc camp details:

I believe this camp in Kithicor (SW corner of zone) should be setup the same as the gnoll camp, currently only named orc spawn, but I believe the main Chief there should always spawn 100% along with 2-3 nearby orcs also being 100% orcs, but then the other orcs chance for placeholders.

The setup sounds real similar to the Gnoll Camp in EK, so no clue if they should be aggressive and kill other wildlife that spawns (there were reports of Misty Thicket orcs doing this, so may just be an orc trait?).

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=1880
Quote:
Aug 14 2002
This mob and his 3 friends are great for raising your High Hold faction. I took my 22 iksar monk to camp him and his friends. He still conned dark blue at 23 and I am going to camp him and the rest till 24. The wolves, bats, spiders and fire beetles are all place holders for the other three Orcs that can spawn near him.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/f...tml?faction=72
Quote:
Apr 15 2002
I was foraging oak bark for cultural tailoring in Kithicor. I kept myself amused by nuking the Shralok Orcs in one corner of the zone. Sometimes the spawn was not an orc. A gray wolf, a fire beetle and a grizzly bear spawned. When I killed these I got a faction hit for Wolf, FireBeetle and Bear.

A short distance from the corner I killed a cliff spider and got a faction hit for GiantSpider. This spider had been on my tracking for awhile and may originally have spawned in Shralok corner (*shrug*).

I didn't get faction hits for similar critters in the rest of the zone.
I'm assuming those wonkie faction hits on the animals were just a bug that was later fixed, didn't look into it.

Lastly, I was receiving Orc Scalp drops from these guys, which is correct, however they seemed pretty rare. I believe based on reports that any orc can drop a scalp, so just want to make sure each named orc that spawns has it on their loot table. I'm guessing similar drop rate to HHP orcs.

Old 11-25-2021, 11:11 AM
Banned

None of the mucktails seem to be spawning.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
None of the mucktails seem to be spawning.
I can confirm they appear to be working as intended now.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]