Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2019, 03:10 PM
brokenpromise brokenpromise is offline
Aviak


Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 96
Default Soloing as a mage and necro

Long story short my PC took a fat shit several months back and I was testing out both mage and necro. I'll make this brief

I know everyone says necro has more utility. That's undeniable. My real question is does necro have more solo options due to utility? They can root rot, fear kite, charm etcetera etcetera. The mage pretty much just chain summons.

Is the mage class limited on what they can solo and farm? Let's set aside things like feign death. Does necro have simply more solo options due to utility? Let's say mage can only solo at X because they simply cant chain cast enough or effenciently enough. While necro can solo x,y,z because they can fear kite, charm, root rot. Or can mage solo just as much things as a necro, despite chain summoning?

I am mostly solo and farming.

I am very close to just going with necro. They have a ton of utility and a lot of different ways to solo. I love the mage class but I dont want to find myself in situations where I am very limited on what I can solo and where.
Last edited by brokenpromise; 08-25-2019 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-25-2019, 03:38 PM
Lurgort/Sseri Lurgort/Sseri is offline
Sarnak

Lurgort/Sseri's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 495
Default

You answered your own question in your post. Necro can do A, B, C, D, E and Mages can do A, B.

You also have nearly an impossible epic to complete due to how everyone wants to sell a key piece of the Magician epic (Earth Staff) for like 1 million plat. Necros get a Duckstick that costs around 200k total if you don't join a raiding guild / farm plat.

Mage pets are still quite a bit stronger than Necro pets, but that's about all they have going aside from nukes and summoning items. If you want to root something, you need to have an earth pet or root nets.
__________________
P99B Strazha (60 Necromancer) [Iksar] <Azure Guard>
P99B Sstrix (55 Warrior) [Iksar] <Azure Guard>
P99B Jeszabel (17 Rogue) [Human] <Unguilded>
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]

RoZk Lurgort (50 Shaman) [Troll] <Unguilded>
RoZk Gares (50 Monk) [Human] <Unguilded>
P99R Sseri (51 Shaman) [Iksar] <Unguilded>
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Last edited by Lurgort/Sseri; 08-25-2019 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-25-2019, 03:57 PM
brokenpromise brokenpromise is offline
Aviak


Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgort/Sseri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You answered your own question in your post. Necro can do A, B, C, D, E and Mages can do A, B.

You also have nearly an impossible epic to complete due to how everyone wants to sell a key piece of the Magician epic (Earth Staff) for like 1 million plat. Necros get a Duckstick that costs around 200k total if you don't join a raiding guild / farm plat.

Mage pets are still quite a bit stronger than Necro pets, but that's about all they have going aside from nukes and summoning items. If you want to root something, you need to have an earth pet or root nets.
I realize it probably sounded stupid. I was just hoping mages could also do it, just with more summons. I love the mage class and I really want to continue playing my mage, I just dont want to find myself needing a group to level or being bottlenecked into certain zones. I want to farm and make plat to deck my toon out. Sounds like necro might be the way to do that.

You answered my next question. I heard about getting mage epic. You dont. Which is really sad because getting my epic is 100 percent on my check list.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2019, 03:59 PM
Izmael Izmael is offline
Planar Protector

Izmael's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,700
Default

Mage pets tank and fight better than the necro pets of similar level, but the necro has oh so many ways to compensate for that, and then some.

I don't know if there's anything in the game that can be soloed by a mage that can't be soloed by a necro (actually wondering.. anyone?).

But there certainly are many many things that can be done by a necro, but not by a mage (unreasonable effort or clickies such as strings / soulfire aside).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2019, 04:09 PM
brokenpromise brokenpromise is offline
Aviak


Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mage pets tank and fight better than the necro pets of similar level, but the necro has oh so many ways to compensate for that, and then some.

I don't know if there's anything in the game that can be soloed by a mage that can't be soloed by a necro (actually wondering.. anyone?).

But there certainly are many many things that can be done by a necro, but not by a mage (unreasonable effort or clickies such as strings / soulfire aside).
When you say there are way more things necro can solo, is that because the mob would just tear through the mage pet too fast to reasonably be kept up with? Is that the only reason, or is there other factors?

Bear with me, for I am noob
Last edited by brokenpromise; 08-25-2019 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2019, 04:35 PM
Lurgort/Sseri Lurgort/Sseri is offline
Sarnak

Lurgort/Sseri's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpromise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you say there are way more things necro can solo, is that because the mob would just tear through the mage pet too fast to reasonably be kept up with? Is that the only reason, or is there other factors?

Bear with me, for I am noob
Necros have way more 'oh shit' tools. You have FD, if it fails, you can root an add then Harmshield or Gate, or root both adds and FD again. With a Circlet of Shadow, you can also get up instantly from a FD and invis yourself against mobs who can't see invis. Levant is self-evac at night. You also have Lich line and lifetaps / HoT DoTs for mana regen while a mage has medding and mod rods.

Much more survivability and utility,

A Necro is a swiss army knife while a Mage is a hatchet.
__________________
P99B Strazha (60 Necromancer) [Iksar] <Azure Guard>
P99B Sstrix (55 Warrior) [Iksar] <Azure Guard>
P99B Jeszabel (17 Rogue) [Human] <Unguilded>
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]

RoZk Lurgort (50 Shaman) [Troll] <Unguilded>
RoZk Gares (50 Monk) [Human] <Unguilded>
P99R Sseri (51 Shaman) [Iksar] <Unguilded>
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Last edited by Lurgort/Sseri; 08-25-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2019, 04:51 PM
brokenpromise brokenpromise is offline
Aviak


Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgort/Sseri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necros have way more 'oh shit' tools. You have FD, if it fails, you can root an add then Harmshield or Gate, or root both adds and FD again. With a Circlet of Shadow, you can also get up instantly from a FD and invis yourself against mobs who can't see invis. Levant is self-evac at night. You also have Lich line and lifetaps / HoT DoTs for mana regen while a mage has medding and mod rods.

Much more survivability and utility,

A Necro is a swiss army knife while a Mage is a hatchet.
This probably my biggest contention. A necro has potential to not die. A mage pretty much has to accept the death and hope he is bound close.

Do better clarify for a noob, can you provide examples on where and what a necro can solo and why they can and mage cant?

Like, necros can solo felwithe guards with root rotting. Can a mage also solo them at the same level at relatively the same pace? Will they burn through too much mana and components and have a long down time to make that camp viable?

If these questions are annoyingly noob, I apologize. I havent played in a very long time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2019, 05:03 PM
Lurgort/Sseri Lurgort/Sseri is offline
Sarnak

Lurgort/Sseri's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpromise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This probably my biggest contention. A necro has potential to not die. A mage pretty much has to accept the death and hope he is bound close.

Do better clarify for a noob, can you provide examples on where and what a necro can solo and why they can and mage cant?

Like, necros can solo felwithe guards with root rotting. Can a mage also solo them at the same level at relatively the same pace? Will they burn through too much mana and components and have a long down time to make that camp viable?

If these questions are annoyingly noob, I apologize. I havent played in a very long time.
In your example, Necros can root/rot because they don't LoH from DoTs. They LoH if in combat and a mage has to send a pet in to tank for him/her or risk being beaten to death/interrupted while casting nukes. They will LoH if in direct combat and that makes them a lot harder to kill and it'll burn your mana bar quick.
__________________
P99B Strazha (60 Necromancer) [Iksar] <Azure Guard>
P99B Sstrix (55 Warrior) [Iksar] <Azure Guard>
P99B Jeszabel (17 Rogue) [Human] <Unguilded>
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]

RoZk Lurgort (50 Shaman) [Troll] <Unguilded>
RoZk Gares (50 Monk) [Human] <Unguilded>
P99R Sseri (51 Shaman) [Iksar] <Unguilded>
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-25-2019, 05:18 PM
brokenpromise brokenpromise is offline
Aviak


Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgort/Sseri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In your example, Necros can root/rot because they don't LoH from DoTs. They LoH if in combat and a mage has to send a pet in to tank for him/her or risk being beaten to death/interrupted while casting nukes. They will LoH if in direct combat and that makes them a lot harder to kill and it'll burn your mana bar quick.
At the risk of making myself look more noob, what is LoH? I guess in short, necros have more utility and versatility. They can simply do more.

I appreciate the replies and patience with what I'll look back on as painful questions.

Is sesserdrixes guide still viable? Is there a more up to date velious era one? Is there quests/gear I should be focused on getting? I'm very much a gear hunter
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-25-2019, 05:33 PM
Lurgort/Sseri Lurgort/Sseri is offline
Sarnak

Lurgort/Sseri's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpromise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
At the risk of making myself look more noob, what is LoH? I guess in short, necros have more utility and versatility. They can simply do more.

I appreciate the replies and patience with what I'll look back on as painful questions.

Is sesserdrixes guide still viable? Is there a more up to date velious era one? Is there quests/gear I should be focused on getting? I'm very much a gear hunter
All good man, I was a noob when I came back to EQ 11 months ago here on P99. X)

LoH = Lay on Hands, a paladin ability which restores a large amount of health, in the case of those pally guards - ~50% give or take a few.

Sesseridrix's guide is incredible and worth reading! Quest you should do: Words of Darkness. You can also do Shadowbound / Harvester if you want some nice fashion.
__________________
P99B Strazha (60 Necromancer) [Iksar] <Azure Guard>
P99B Sstrix (55 Warrior) [Iksar] <Azure Guard>
P99B Jeszabel (17 Rogue) [Human] <Unguilded>
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]

RoZk Lurgort (50 Shaman) [Troll] <Unguilded>
RoZk Gares (50 Monk) [Human] <Unguilded>
P99R Sseri (51 Shaman) [Iksar] <Unguilded>
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Last edited by Lurgort/Sseri; 08-25-2019 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 PM.


Everquest is a registered trademark of Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Project 1999 is not associated or affiliated in any way with Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.