maxX: 10000,
    maxY: 3000,
    minX: -10000,
    minY: -5000,
    zoomX: 0.0369,
    zoomY: 0.044
})
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tears.jpg (48.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-25-2019, 10:51 AM
Sarnak

It's not a challenge result per se, but I started the Cabilis newbie guide. It's not an urgent call on Green because, well, Kunark.

But it's a start. I just copied Halas as a template.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Orc

Quote:
The following zones don't have maps with accurate locs, and so are off limits for the project (until we can find better maps):

Freeport (all parts, locs don't line up)
I could give you a full overhead map of north/west/east freeport.
Will not have any text or notes on it.
Do you want?

Someone would need to add the grid lines. I'm not to keen on that part. (unless someone told me how to do it - and no, i dont have easy free port access)
Old 09-25-2019, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dykriegan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Added a low level entry for Kithicor Forest! And added a third for Gorge of King Xorbb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We have our first (1.5k) payout for this challenge: congratulations to Dykreigan, and thanks for helping the wiki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does money get paid on green or pay at later date on green? I don't play blue.
My apologies: I'm not used to having to think about other servers. For one thing, Green doesn't exist yet, so that alone would make it difficult, but also I will not have thousands of k of platinum to give out on Green ... in fact, no one will, which is sort of a big part of Green's draw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So, all I can offer you is Blue plat. Not even a huge amount either ... but enough (and this is very much the point of the challenge) to help you get a start with a Blue character. If you're a caster you can use it to buy spells and some SoW potions (or save it towards buying JBoots), and if you're a melee it's enough to buy a decent starting weapon and some cheap starting gear in the tunnel ... or if you save up just a little more you could even afford an FBSS.

Well, actually I can offer one other thing: my thanks! Thanks a ton for mapping those zones and helping the wiki! You picked some slightly tricky ones too: Ocean of Tears was huge and the gird lines weren't exact, so that one must have been extra hard.

If you want to collect your hard-earned (Blue) 1.5k platinum PM me and let me know when you'll be on. But whether you do or not thanks for mapping those zones and helping the wiki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benanov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not a challenge result per se, but I started the Cabilis newbie guide. It's not an urgent call on Green because, well, Kunark.

But it's a start. I just copied Halas as a template.
I actually saw that, and was super impressed (I also added some wiki links to it since it looked too black to me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])! You're right, it's not part of the challenge ... but it is wiki work that will very much be of value to Green ...

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Anyone who completes a starting city player guide, like the existing ones for Halas or Kelethin, will also qualify for 1,500 plat in this challenge.

To qualify, a guide does not need to define how to get to the guild masters (though it would be great if it did), it just needs to include:
  • The starting loc
  • The location of the bank
  • The location of at least one bag and one food/drink vendor (ideally the closest to the zone out ... and ideally all of them)
  • Maps of both the starting city and it's starting mob zone(s), if separate (eg. Qeynos and Freeport have starting mobs inside the city zone, while Halas has Everfrost and Cabilis has several)
  • Where/What to hunt (at least a few sentences just describing the basics a new player might not know)
  • Dangers (again, at least a few sentences: most starting zones have some kind of dangerous monster that can interrupt the steady stream of low level ones, so just mention them and how to avoid them)
  • Quest Shopping List: last but definitely not least (I think this will be one of the most important parts of the guides): list all of those quests where you turn-in stuff that drops from the starting zone mobs (plus any that are just "delivery quests" any new player can do)

Finally, this isn't a requirement, but please try to use more than just text: add images, links, the new loc template, etc. To use the new loc template, write (eg.): "{{Loc|Halas|139, 54}}" to create a "Halas (139, 54)" link that shows that loc. Use "{{Loc|Halas|139, 54|Halas Starting Loc}}" to make the same link, but with the text "Halas Starting Loc" instead.

Benanov, referring to the Cabilis one specifically, it looks like you have everything except:
  • maps (unfortunately you'll need a bunch; to get them just edit the zone's wiki page and look for code that looks like "[[file:someMapImage.jpg]]")
  • starting loc (just create a new Iksar and immediately type /loc to find this; you can use the {{Loc}} template to add it to the wiki [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])
  • dangers - you have these, but I think it would be more useful to people if there was a "dangers" section under each starting zone, rather than just one for all of them ... what do you think?
  • quest shopping list - I'm guessing there are more quests that could be on this list (and also maybe it would make sense to do it by zone too?)

But since I made up the rules after the fact, and since your guide does have all of the guild directions (which weren't required), I'll award you 1k now, and 2k if you make the above improvements (the extra .5k coming from the fact that you chose Cabilis, which has more starting zones than any other city, and thus requires extra work).

Happy wiki editing all!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I could give you a full overhead map of north/west/east freeport.
Will not have any text or notes on it.
Do you want?

Someone would need to add the grid lines. I'm not to keen on that part. (unless someone told me how to do it - and no, i dont have easy free port access)
Unfortunately the grid lines are exactly the problem. Our existing (EQAtlas) maps of Freeport are great visually, but the problem is that their grid lines don't actually match the loc of the zone.

More maps of Freeport (or any zone really) would be great, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to add them (just as a very small image or even just a link) on the Freeport page ... but ultimately what the wiki really needs is for some intrepid cartographer to take a Freeport map (the EQAtlas one, your's, or any other), and then go through Freeport typing/loc and making marks on the map.

Eventually with enough such marks one should be able to draw accurate grid lines, and once we have that we could finally "loc map" Freeport.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:26 PM
Orc

Wink

I went and did Freeport West. I'd like them to uniformly all have the same scale when at max resolution. But I dont care when they get shrunk. This means it takes a bit more work making sure I did each right cuz id hope to eventually stitch the entire map together. Unless im misinformed and some zones secretly overlap eachother.

Freeport West
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a34c9544_o.png
(3217x2530)

Attached is smaller size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FreeportWest small.jpg (20.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-25-2019, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

That looks great, like someone took it straight out of EQ zone viewer or something (which should mean that it's "loc-accurate" ... unlike the EQAtlas map).

I wish you luck in drawing those "loc lines": I'm sure people doing quests in Freeport would really appreciate having "loc mapped" maps for it!

Old 09-25-2019, 02:00 PM
Orc

This is looking awful to do.
So I went and looked at ocean of tears in EQ zone viewer. And the coordinates in EQviewer matched up with the map on the wiki, although x and y were transposed.

So using that knowledge, I went to the freeport map and slowly inched towards 0,0 for the exact spot. And then found another location for scale -1000,-500.
Theoretically, I could use the pixel coordinates shown in bottom right of this paint program and use some general math to plant other coordinates.

EDIT: ok it seems each pixel is literally a single unit. its about 1000 pixels right and 500 pixels down from 0,0 to -1000,-500. May save a lot of time then. but must make sure im not putting in false points

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Eggbell; 09-25-2019 at 02:09 PM..
Old 09-25-2019, 04:02 PM
Orc

Question

I uploaded a grid map for Freeport west on the wiki.
Now I don't know if this is actually correct. I haven't gone in Freeport, these are from the map coordinates in EQ viewer.

Code:
testGrid({
    image: 'Freeport_west_grid.png',
    height: 690,
    width: 845,
    zeroX: 385,
    zeroY: 439,
    interval: 200,
    maxX: 1400,
    maxY: 1600,
    minX: -1600,
    minY: -800,
    zoomX: 0.25,
    zoomY: 0.25
})
Edit: I do not think you should add this. Looking at some npc locations, I dont think the grid matches up. Need actual data from in-game Freeport.
Last edited by Eggbell; 09-25-2019 at 04:27 PM..
Old 09-25-2019, 04:37 PM
Planar Protector

Well, it sounds like you're on the right track [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I'll await further updates.

Also, creating an entirely new map is definitely going above and beyond the challenge requirements. At the very least I'll let you exceed the "3 loc maps" only rule as a result (so if you pull this off you'll hit the challenge cap of 2k Blue plat) ... and if you do manage to pull off actually adding loc-mappable Freeport maps to the wiki, there may even be a slight bonus to boot.

Closed Thread