Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 10:26 PM
Planar Protector

if you are this concerned about Xp just limit the # of people in your group. Anything more than 3 people in a group significantly hinders exp much more than any hybrid.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellybuttface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why would that be? Warrior’s have the best mitigation in the game. Paladin’s and SK’s aren’t decreasing the time spent killing the mob, only offering potentially faster aggro. That doesn’t have anything to do with who would be healed more. In fact, Warrior’s not only have higher mitigation, but higher DPS, equating to a faster kill on a mob. As a healer, there’s nothing that would cause the Warrior to take MORE damage than a hybrid, only multiple reasons why he would take less.

Root is an easy and accessible spell for multiple classes in EQ. Would absolutely prefer rooting a mob and let a Warrior tank it then punishing the group by accepting a 40+% exp penalty that’s chopped up across all members. Then of course the asshole that picks a Troll SK and gets butthurt over groups not bending over backwards to invite him.
He said "even with the mitigation differences" so I don't think he's saying warriors take more damage. I'd guess it's due to inferior warrior aggro. Weak aggro causes mobs to ping-pong and dps classes have to wait longer to let loose than with a hybrid tank. Also, the people getting hit by ping-ponging mobs need to be healed, tanking cleric mana efficiency.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All gear being equal the healer will use more mana per mob on the warrior even with the mitigation differences.
Lol no
Old 02-21-2020, 10:37 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He said "even with the mitigation differences" so I don't think he's saying warriors take more damage. I'd guess it's due to inferior warrior aggro. Weak aggro causes mobs to ping-pong and dps classes have to wait longer to let loose than with a hybrid tank. Also, the people getting hit by ping-ponging mobs need to be healed, tanking cleric mana efficiency.
That’s why I was saying with root it’s much more effective. No ping-ponging, Warrior has time to get sufficient aggro, and DPS can do what they do best. I rarely factor in slow since majority of mobs die so quickly it isn’t even worth the mana cast (except for raid mobs). Snap aggro of course is faster, but generally unnecessary with the above.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellybuttface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why would that be? Warrior’s have the best mitigation in the game. Paladin’s and SK’s aren’t decreasing the time spent killing the mob, only offering potentially faster aggro. That doesn’t have anything to do with who would be healed more. In fact, Warrior’s not only have higher mitigation, but higher DPS, equating to a faster kill on a mob. As a healer, there’s nothing that would cause the Warrior to take MORE damage than a hybrid, only multiple reasons why he would take less.
The reason is higher dps up time. Not to mention potential mana lost on healing non-tanks. Warrior dps isn't going to make up for group dps jumping in immediately.

Quote:
Root is an easy and accessible spell for multiple classes in EQ. Would absolutely prefer rooting a mob and let a Warrior tank it then punishing the group by accepting a 40+% exp penalty that’s chopped up across all members. Then of course the asshole that picks a Troll SK and gets butthurt over groups not bending over backwards to invite him.
You guys are really stuck on this root thing. Roots sound good in theory and are useful in pinches but aren't really great in practice for sustained killing. Who is rooting? Not a great use of mana for your dps classes plus you get agro on resists and less med time due to rooting. What if the only rooter is the healer? Same problems but even worse for group efficiency. Beyond just rooting your hybrids are all going to be able to pull better than your warrior and be way more useful with adds.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 02-21-2020, 10:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
That’s why I was saying with root it’s much more effective. No ping-ponging, Warrior has time to get sufficient aggro, and DPS can do what they do best. I rarely factor in slow since majority of mobs die so quickly it isn’t even worth the mana cast (except for raid mobs). Snap aggro of course is faster, but generally unnecessary with the above.
Yeah, this is 100% true as long as someone is on the ball with roots. I do this on my ranger when I group with undergeared warriors or overzealous casters.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol no
I mean believe whatever you want. I tanked this game on my Paladin from crushbone orcs to KT and ToV dragons (notable exceptions, AoW, Tunare, Lord Vyemm). So I have a pretty good understanding of how this game works. A warrior is going to shine against the hardest hitting mobs when they have a mallet or other agro implement, no question about it. However, a hybrid is going to result in things being dead significantly quicker on other mobs.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 02-22-2020, 10:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Actually the difference in tanking for hybrids/warriors is incredibly small in vanilla EQ. I as the main tank plenty of times in the planes back in the day.

Warrior also isn't going to have higher than a knight DPS in most of vanilla either since they can use mith 2 hd and warrior will probably be using 1 hd taunting weapons.

Additonally an SK or ranger will probably save the healer more mana if dealing with fleeing mobs(vast majority in the game) as they basically just let you kill them when snared after 15% health.

Quote:

Well, root isn't terribly reliable. It gets resisted and can break quite early and can break from anyone doing spell damage too. Additionally ,if you do use root than you once again don't get to save all that mana when mobs hit 15% life.

If your group is needing to wait on mana from the healer, in any decent sized group the ranger/SK will more than make up for the exp penalty, assuming they did not have a snarer in the party beforehand.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

A 45 troll Sk takes as much exp as a 42 Ogre warrior and 41 barb rogue.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:56 PM
Sarnak

You’re right about root potentially breaking and the Mith 2 Hander. I was going to make a special mention of that but it seems like so few people actually have one.

I don’t dislike Knight classes; snap aggro is nice, and without discs Warrior’s don’t have a whole lot to work with in Classic. It’s still sort of mind boggling how the original EQ devs gave the Warrior so little in the game off the bat. Also of course class exp penalty’s were a pretty poor idea. Even Monk’s get a 20% penalty, and they already have so many restrictions as it is (weight, low ac, few Classic weapons etc.).
Closed Thread