Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 10:55 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In 2001 a buddy of mine owned a LAN/coffee shop. Spent a lot of time there playing for free and getting free coffee. Two of us went on a 3-day stretch once where we didn't leave the place. Playing EQ, taking turns crashing on his office couch and ordering pizzas.

Compared to some others here, it's not too crazy, but man those were good times. Sometimes I wish I was 19 again with no responsibilities.

I'm still waiting for the p99'er that forgot their kid in the car in summer and left them to die to go answer their batphone. You have to know someone here has had a close call at least.
I remember hearing horror stories of parents playing EQ while they had their kid in the bath....pretty awful shit. I don’t think we’d ever hear from folks like that. And I hope to god they never touched EQ again if any of those stories were actually true.

I would love to hear from someone who actually met their spouse on EQ. I remember talking in guild chat in a few different games in years past, and there would always be two guild members “dating” lol. Don’t know how the hell that worked, that were. Ever geographically close to one another, but they would take every opportunity to hold themselves out as a “couple.” I do recall people getting married in-game in EQ, but I think it was just a virtual thing. Like they’d take on the same surname, but I don’t think it was ever a really relationship. Fairly bizarre shit.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellybuttface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I would love to hear from someone who actually met their spouse on EQ. I remember talking in guild chat in a few different games in years past, and there would always be two guild members “dating” lol. Don’t know how the hell that worked, that were. Ever geographically close to one another, but they would take every opportunity to hold themselves out as a “couple.” I do recall people getting married in-game in EQ, but I think it was just a virtual thing. Like they’d take on the same surname, but I don’t think it was ever a really relationship. Fairly bizarre shit.
I met my ex-wife in EQ. Were in same guild together for a long time. She came from Michigan to Oregon to meet me. Moved out to Oregon a few months later. We had a good solid 10 years, but we both changed for various reasons and ended up divorcing a few years ago.

Just remarried in 2019 (to a non-gamer).
Old 02-22-2020, 12:25 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OMG I totally cried IRL because of EQ when I was 19 too! I felt so pathetic I was like what the hell is wrong with me I am crying over a video game?? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This thread is so great!
Thank you all for sharing! This is really a good thread!! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-22-2020, 01:36 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I met my ex-wife in EQ. Were in same guild together for a long time. She came from Michigan to Oregon to meet me. Moved out to Oregon a few months later. We had a good solid 10 years, but we both changed for various reasons and ended up divorcing a few years ago.

Just remarried in 2019 (to a non-gamer).
10 years is a pretty solid amount of time, especially having met each other virtually. Did you guys talk mostly in text or was it over voice chat (though voice chat programs were fairly unheard of back in the day). 2 friends and I used to do a 3-way conf call and play the game for hours with phones crooked into our necks.

Congrats on the recent nuptials!
Old 02-22-2020, 04:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellybuttface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
10 years is a pretty solid amount of time, especially having met each other virtually. Did you guys talk mostly in text or was it over voice chat (though voice chat programs were fairly unheard of back in the day). 2 friends and I used to do a 3-way conf call and play the game for hours with phones crooked into our necks.

Congrats on the recent nuptials!
I didn't even own a cell phone back in those days. I lived in a shitty area that hadn't even been wired for cable internet, so I was on dialup at first, so I'd have to go buy a long distance phone card from the convenience store if we wanted to talk (thinking back on this, good lord lol). We talked a lot in text and on Teamspeak after I moved to civilization and got cable internet.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:00 AM
Sarnak

One time back in live my buddy was debating on if he wanted to stay or quit.

So I offered him $100 for all his stuff. He took it.

Got a FBSS out of that deal.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:27 AM
Banned

Grandma's on ICU right now, so i'm letting go of my treants camp to go see her.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Where you been?! Haven't seen you post in a while.
Hi tethler! I just took some time off from gaming because work got real busy and so I was just preoccupied.

I almost quit life and moved to the mountains to play green though instead, which would have been the craziest thing I've ever done because of EQ but, instead I chose to just be normal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

edit: not to insinuate that EQ is gaming and not life but you know what I mean hehe

edit edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteria [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you all for sharing! This is really a good thread!! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haha I forgot to tell you guys why I cried, it's even more embarrassing. I deleted a +7 charisma torch I looted in lavastorm on my level 11 necro.

It was my most prized possession.

Crying over a Charisma item on a necro...

Whats next maxing wisdom on startup? Hail if you remember that blunder :smacksforhead:
Last edited by Jibartik; 02-22-2020 at 12:50 PM..
Old 02-22-2020, 02:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeboim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One time back in live my buddy was debating on if he wanted to stay or quit.

So I offered him $100 for all his stuff. He took it.

Got a FBSS out of that deal.
I took a break from the game for a little while, so I let a friend borrow my gear. I had some pretty high end stuff - Iksar Ceremonial, two Lamentations, FBSS, etc. (non-raid gear, but pretty valuable items at the time). He tried to transfer those items to another character by doing the ol’ “ground drop” method. Of course his internet goes out, the items disappeared, standard fare. He was really apologetic, and there wasn’t anything to be done about it. It was many hours of TunnelQuesting to get a lot of that stuff, but c’est la vie.

I came back to the game and had a completely naked Ranger. I actually petitioned a GM and they gave me some sort of “starter set” of gear out of pity lol.

ISP’s were such dogshit back in the day. I’d constantly be zoning and randomly get booted, only to come back to my corpse on the other side of the zone. Good times!
Old 02-22-2020, 04:25 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
I took a break from the game for a little while, so I let a friend borrow my gear. I had some pretty high end stuff - Iksar Ceremonial, two Lamentations, FBSS, etc. (non-raid gear, but pretty valuable items at the time). He tried to transfer those items to another character by doing the ol’ “ground drop” method. Of course his internet goes out, the items disappeared, standard fare. He was really apologetic, and there wasn’t anything to be done about it. It was many hours of TunnelQuesting to get a lot of that stuff, but c’est la vie.

I came back to the game and had a completely naked Ranger. I actually petitioned a GM and they gave me some sort of “starter set” of gear out of pity lol.

ISP’s were such dogshit back in the day. I’d constantly be zoning and randomly get booted, only to come back to my corpse on the other side of the zone. Good times!
Heck yeah...I feel like LDs and their consequences were such a huuuuge part of gameplay and the classic experience of EQ that will never be replicated. It was like a critical luck fail on the RNG for all sorts of things that can probably never be emulated with modern hardware. I actually remember grouping sometimes in 2000 - 2002 JUST to avoid LD solo deaths/lost exp/lost time. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread